Took the plunge and bought a big TV - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Took the plunge and bought a big TV

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby boojumsnark25 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:55 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
boojumsnark25 wrote:heh, and somewhere a man works a 16 hour shift for a cup of rice to feed his family of 20.

Seriously though, 60,000 bucks? How many of those do they expect to sell?

well they just hafta sell a couple to make it worth it for themselves.

true, i guess now that I think about it it's obvious they wouldn't mass produce them...
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:19 pm

That's the same TV I got except for the PiP. I love it!!! ;-D ;-D

Yeah, you probably did get it for a much better price than I did, but I wasn't going to wait 3 months to watch TV at my new place or miss football. If you could wait, it was well worth it. Enjoy that DLP, man...I get all sorts of compliments from my friends when they come over to watch stuff in HD or movies with my upconverting DVD player. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:48 pm

After having it hooked up for all five hours....

it's all about the mirrors. and regressing to age 16 where i'm still in my sleep pants b/c i've been dinking around with the xbox 360 all day. and it's new years eve and only 5 hours away and i've got to get my game face on to get to a party by 11. but man oh man. forget december 25th. this was christmas day in my house.

std. def. doesn't look so hot. but the stuff on the 360 is smokin'! and the pip has an option of a split screen which is pretty cool.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:50 pm

Yeah I was down to the Sammy and Sony myself. I bought mine right around when the new Mitsu's were coming out so I hadn't really considered them that much. When I saw the new SXRD's still had some green blob issues and got a good price on the 6187 (though probably not close to the price you got now as I got it right when they came out) that pretty much clinched it for the Sammy and I've never regretted it for a second.

Yeah standard def looks bad, but such is the nature of digital televisions. I'm enjoying the 360 on it as well, currently heavy into Gears of War and also playing some NBA 2k7 and Lego Star Wars II. When I bought mine it started a domino effect of people I know seeing it and buying their own. A couple friends picked up HL-S's for themselves (stripped down 5086's) and one uncle has already climbed aboard as well, with one more close to doing so.

Look me up on Gears (gamertag is Vcize) if you end up picking it up.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby lmcjaho » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:31 pm

Matthias wrote:And the PiP was key. I didn't want to buy a honking big TV unless I could taunt friends by having the equivalent of two TVs bigger than theirs on screen.

That is awesome Matthias ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:16 am

Matthias wrote:After having it hooked up for all five hours....

it's all about the mirrors. and regressing to age 16 where i'm still in my sleep pants b/c i've been dinking around with the xbox 360 all day. and it's new years eve and only 5 hours away and i've got to get my game face on to get to a party by 11. but man oh man. forget december 25th. this was christmas day in my house.

std. def. doesn't look so hot. but the stuff on the 360 is smokin'! and the pip has an option of a split screen which is pretty cool.

if you have a 360 already and watch a lot of movies, i recommend the HD-DVD add-on for it. at 200 bones its the cheapest way to play HD movies. i have one that i run through my samsung plasma...and you wouldnt believe the difference from a normal DVD. i also have an upconverting samsung DVD player ran on HDMI cable...and its not even close to the quality.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Awesome choice on the HL-S5688. I've got the 6187 myself (same TV except 61" and lacks PiP, cablecard, and QAM) and I love it.

Now it's time to jump onboard the HD-DVD train with football season almost over ;)

Bah, don't jump on that train or you've got a 50/50 chance of crashing and burning Betamax style. The format war between HD-DVD and BluRay is wide open with no clearcut advantage yet. Considering the prices right now and the fact that one could be obsolete in a few years, I'd hold off on that. A progressive scan DVD player hooked in with component cables could probably satiate that need for better looking movies.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Yeah I was down to the Sammy and Sony myself. I bought mine right around when the new Mitsu's were coming out so I hadn't really considered them that much. When I saw the new SXRD's still had some green blob issues and got a good price on the 6187 (though probably not close to the price you got now as I got it right when they came out) that pretty much clinched it for the Sammy and I've never regretted it for a second.

Yeah standard def looks bad, but such is the nature of digital televisions. I'm enjoying the 360 on it as well, currently heavy into Gears of War and also playing some NBA 2k7 and Lego Star Wars II. When I bought mine it started a domino effect of people I know seeing it and buying their own. A couple friends picked up HL-S's for themselves (stripped down 5086's) and one uncle has already climbed aboard as well, with one more close to doing so.

Look me up on Gears (gamertag is Vcize) if you end up picking it up.

Buy Fight Night Round 3, I can honestly say that this is the greatest game of all-time. Multiplayer is unreal.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:05 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Awesome choice on the HL-S5688. I've got the 6187 myself (same TV except 61" and lacks PiP, cablecard, and QAM) and I love it.

Now it's time to jump onboard the HD-DVD train with football season almost over ;)

Bah, don't jump on that train or you've got a 50/50 chance of crashing and burning Betamax style. The format war between HD-DVD and BluRay is wide open with no clearcut advantage yet. Considering the prices right now and the fact that one could be obsolete in a few years, I'd hold off on that. A progressive scan DVD player hooked in with component cables could probably satiate that need for better looking movies.

solid advice, that's what i'm doing, although i may have to buy the PS3 when FFXIII comes out
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk