Anyone else in a one bench league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone else in a one bench league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone else in a one bench league?

Postby gonefishin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:55 pm

I can't believe this season is over already :-t

one bench/ten team league

But I'm already looking forward to next year. I was just wondering if anyone else is in a one bench league. I've been setting the league up for a few years now...and this year we're down to one bench spot and two defensive players (multipliers also modified).

Moving down to one bench spot (from two bench spots) has really worked out well. The league is so darn competitive. Where every team has a chance to pick up good players. Bye weeks and injuries really force you to drop some good players (for others to pick up). It really defines waiver priority and adds a whole new dimension to the game. Week to week match-ups were never more important.

10 TEAM LEAGUE
QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,TE,BENCH,K,DEF,D,D

I'm going to tweak the point multipliers a little next year, but have hit on something I (and the other teams) really enjoy. I was just wondering if anyone else had been in a one bench league???

good luck this week all!
dan
1 bench league/10 teams
QB - Cutler (DEN);WR - Owens (DAL);WR - Harrison (IND);WR - Bruce (STL);RB - Gore (SF);RB - Brown (MIA);TE - Witten (DAL);BNCH - S. Alexandar (SEA);K - Stover (Bal);Def - NY Jets;D - Merrimen (SD);D - Manning Jr (Chi)
gonefishin
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:38 am

Eesh, one-bench leagues are a little too scary for me. I like to have a little room on my roster to stash sleeper players, and one just isnt enough. I also dont like the idea of having to drop solid players because of matchups each week. But if you can handle it, I can see where it would be very competitive (though stressful ;-) )

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:44 am

I like it...I haven't done a football one, but I had a 2 bench elague for baseball that worked out really well.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:10 pm

Thats got to be tough drafting for. All of your top guys can't have the same bye week or you lose em to someone else.

In a league like that I'd get stubborn and just leave a roster spot open rather than lose a top player.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby gonefishin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:13 pm

It is tough. I usually have 10-15 fantasy football teams each year. But (finally) this year I'm left satisfied and full. Next year I plan to be in 1-3 leagues...that it!

In the past (and building up to this year) I've had two bench teams, which while they worked out good...they just didn't bring the decision and competition level that one bench spot brought. With two bench spots...everything was still easy. Moving down to one...deceision had to be made.

Though I could see that this wouldn't be for everyone...I really enjoyed it.

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Thats got to be tough drafting for. All of your top guys can't have the same bye week or you lose em to someone else.

In a league like that I'd get stubborn and just leave a roster spot open rather than lose a top player.

Drafting wasn't all that bad. The bye weeks were displayed for everyone to see just who they had picked and who was on a bye in what week.

The FA pool was always pretty decent. Sitting on good players in bad streaks isn't that good of an idea unless you've got a very well rounded team.

You didn't have to get rid every player for the weekly match-up. Your studs are still studs...and all the teams had some of them. but that third WR, second RB, TE and DEF team and defensive players could be rotated in and out depending on the match-up.

You did have one bench spot for that "franchise player" that you have to keep. But you certainly do have some tough decision during the bye weeks. I had won a a few of the early games...so I had the luxury of going a few players light, for two weeks, in order to keep some of the players I wanted to. But next year I plan to tweak the point mulitpliers (for the defensive players) so this comes at a bit more of a cost.

In the end...8 of 10 teams made the play-offs. The two teams that didn't make it just barely missed it (due to points). Of the 8 teams that made the play-offs...it was really anyones play-offs to win. It worked out well.

take care all,
dan
1 bench league/10 teams
QB - Cutler (DEN);WR - Owens (DAL);WR - Harrison (IND);WR - Bruce (STL);RB - Gore (SF);RB - Brown (MIA);TE - Witten (DAL);BNCH - S. Alexandar (SEA);K - Stover (Bal);Def - NY Jets;D - Merrimen (SD);D - Manning Jr (Chi)
gonefishin
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Football Talk