Iowa-- - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Iowa--

Moderator: Football Moderators

Iowa--

Postby niblet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:25 am

Iowa once again gets bad officiating in a bowl game. This game's officiating wasn't anywhere near as bad as last years, but still cost them a chance to win.

The Texas RB clearly stepped out of bounds. That would have given time for Iowa to get a FG to win it.

I was actually surprised that Iowa showed up to play, seeing as they finished the season 1-5. But, the game being close and then a bad call hampering Iowa's chances just revived the anger within me from last year when Iowa lost to Florida in the Outback Bowl. There were so many bad calls it makes you wonder...

I suggest you take a look yourself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=N7vRYakQgkI
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:28 am

I saw that play also, and the second after the call was made I said it should be reviewed...I sitll can't believe it wasnt. That being said, Iowa would have had very little time even with the out of bounds call to get into field goal range.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby niblet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:33 am

Yes, but to deny them the chance was wrong. After watching the Iowa - LSU Capitol One Bowl, I think anything would be possible.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:35 am

Should've been reviewed for sure. Not sure there was anything conclusive there. Probably knicked the white line but not conclusive enough to overturn.

Terrible playcall to even put the RB in that situation by running a sweep there, what the heck were they thinking? This was just following a terrible debacle by Iowa's coaching staff to use one of their final two timeouts after a UT first down instead of on the next play when they could've saved more time, cost them another 20 seconds or so. I dunno why these bonehead coaching moves always seem to get a pass. These two back to back and even ASU down one score in one of their games earlier this year and punting despite not having enough timeouts to get the ball back even if they didn't give up any first downs.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby niblet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:40 am

It was pretty conclusive, but whatever, the game's over. It was a lost season anyway.

Check out the link and you will understand my frustration. Although Free Bagel probably wouldn't, as he is from Gainesville.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:46 am

It was pretty obvious but I don't know if there was enough to over turn it.

You are real lucky you got into a bowl in the first place with a record like that.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:37 am

I duno man, I think it was a pretty easy call to overturn, but either way how do you not review that?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:05 pm

Well I did in fact watch the video, which was nothing but a total waste of time. I remember there was a controversial call at the end of the game last year that Iowa got the bad end of but couldn't remember what it was, I thought the way you were referring to that video that it was just going to show us that. Instead it was a 9 minute long video showing highlights of the entire game and the LSU game. I didn't even see the play in question there, probably because I got bored and skipped to the end which was the obvious spot it should've been at (since it was at the end of the game). Instead it just highlighted ticky tack PI or holding calls that go against both teams every game.

We're no strangers to blown calls down here in G'ville. At least this call in the Texas game came in the Alamo bowl and not in a game that cost you an undefeated season and almost a shot to play in the national championship. And at least this one was a blown judgement call and not a misinterpretation of the rules. And like this one, the UF one wasn't reviewed either...Meyer had to use a challenge which cost them a timeout that they desperately needed at the end.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Instead it just highlighted ticky tack PI or holding calls that go against both teams every game.

Exactly. I watched about 2 minutes of it until Mr Hankey paying a visit caught my attention.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby niblet » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:16 pm

Are you guys kidding?

Did you see when they gave the Gators an extra 1.5 yards on a spot, giving them a first down when it should have been 4th down.

How about when they called offensive face mask? Did you not see that Vernell Brown was the one dragging the WR to the ground? Terrible call.

Did you actually see Iwebema hit Chris Leak with his helmet? That went from 4th down to 1st down, keeping the drive alive for the Gators, which they scored on at the end of the half.

And of course, the nonexistent offsides on the onsides kick???? He was clearly onsides. The refs seemed a little excited to throw the flag on that one.

The others I guess you see every game, but not ones like these.

The video stops a little past halfway and turns to highlights. The first half is the officiating errors, with the last one being the big one.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to College Football