Iowa-- - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Iowa--

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby niblet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Every team gets hurt by calls at one point or another, and it generally all evens out in the end. And this isn't a complaint because I am sure many calls have gone Michigan's way as well, but look at last year's Alamo bowl...that was way worse than what you are complaining about.

That is true, but last year's Outback Bowl just got me so angry, and to see a bad call at the end this year, it sent me over the edge. Last year's Outback and Alamo bowls were the worst officiating I have seen in my life.

This is something I found on the net:

Officials play Bad Santa to Iowa, Michigan

Bowl season is maybe the biggest attraction for loyal college football fans. For the faithful, it is a last chance to watch their favorite teams before a long and seemingly endless offseason. For some of the players, it is the last time they will ever wear their college uniform. Unfortunately, the images and memories of that final game may be bittersweet, and even foul tasting at times. That will likely be the case for a pair of Big Ten teams.

Michigan fans will try to make sense of how the Wolverines found a way to lose to Nebraska. The Michigan defense allowed Cory Ross and a Husker squad that ranked 108th in the nation to run wild on them. Ross, who averaged approximately 74 yards per game during the regular season, rushed for 161 yards on mighty Michigan. But the game will be more remembered for the Sun Belt officiating crew that appeared clueless at times.

The Sun Belt officiating crew had never before used replay and it clearly showed.

A possible Nebraska fumble wasn't reviewed and the Cornhuskers eventually scored a touchdown in the first half.

In the third quarter, Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr was forced to use a time-out to allow the officials enough time to consider a replay on a Nebraska touchdown, which was overruled after a review. But the best was saved for last.

On what was to be the final play of the game, the Wolverines employed a number of laterals to keep the play alive. But when the ball hit the turf, players began rushing onto the field in what almost looked to be a replay of the classic Cal-Stanford game of years ago. Amazingly, not one flag was thrown by the officials and the game ended with Michigan in possession of the ball on the Nebraska 13-yard line.

If the subpar officiating in the Michigan-Nebraska game was hard to watch, the Conference USA crew made the Iowa-Florida game nearly unbearable to view.

Florida jumped out quickly 17-0 on Iowa and looked to have the Hawks right where they wanted them. But then Iowa came to life and closed the gap to 17-7 with barely over a minute left in the opening half. Then the officials got involved.

After Iowa was hit with a questionable flag for running into the punter that gave the ball back to the Gators, Chris Leak scrambled on first down and was brought down after a minimal gain. Defensive end Kenny Iwebema was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit, but the replay clearly showed that Iwebema never came close to hitting Leak with his helmet. The flag stopped the clock and gave the Gators the ball inside the Iowa 40-yard line. A few plays later, Florida got their 17 point lead back. If the call unnerved some, it would only get uglier in the second half.

In the third quarter, the Iowa defense was flagged for interfering with the Gators count. Instead of facing a third down situation, the call, which I had yet to see called in the 2005 season until this game, gave the Gators a first down and Florida scored on the very next play to make the score 31-7.

On the very next possession, the ridiculous became idiotic as Iowa receiver Clinton Solomon was penalized 15 yards for grabbing a face mask. The major problem with the call was that Solomon was the one who was dragged down by the face mask by a Florida defender Vernell Brown.

Officials may have tried to make up for their ineptitude later by giving Iowa a gift first down when Solomon was clearly brought down two yards short of the marker. Unfortunately, it did nothing to improve the competence level of the C-USA crew.

And they continued to blow obvious calls by not flagging Florida for too many men on the field on at least one occasion. But possibly the best......or worst was saved for last by this crew.

After Iowa scored 17 unanswered points in the final quarter to narrow the score to 31-24, the teams lined up for the obvious onsides kick.

Iowa kicker Kyle Schlicher hit the ball perfectly and when Scott Chandler recovered, visions of a replay of the comeback victory over LSU a year ago in the Capitol One Bowl were alive and well. But the officials quickly dashed any hopes by calling Iowa offsides on the kickoff. Once again, the replay clearly showed the call was dead wrong, but the Hawkeyes hopes for a comeback were over.

Considering how Nebraska and Florida moved the ball on the Big Ten teams, there is no guarantee Iowa or Michigan could have beaten their bowl opponents. Florida shut down the Iowa ground attack and the Huskers ran the ball almost at will on the Wolverines. The unfortunate part is that no one will ever know if Iowa or Michigan could have come back and won.

Every player who walks onto the football field knows there is a distinct possiblity he could walk off on the losing end. Victory is guaranteed to no one. But there is no worse feeling than not having the chance to win.

Sadly, that is what the Sun Belt and Conference USA crews did to Michigan and Iowa. They cheated them of their chance to win with their inept officiating.

The powers that be bemoan the fact that having a playoff system would hurt the integrity of the bowls.

Maybe those same people should think about what handing major bowl assignments to inept officiating crews does for the integrity of their precious bowls.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: As big of a Hawkeye Fan as You'll Ever Find But . . .

Postby niblet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Axl's Army wrote:You've got to come back to reality a little bit man. Get over it! You're haggling about calls from a Bowl Game that is literally a year ago today.

What is the point of sports if the past years don't matter?

Come back to reality? You don't know me. Who are you to tell me to come back to reality? I mentioned last year's game because of this year's bowl game, but the thread ended up turning into more of a discussion about last year's.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm

niblet wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:You've got to come back to reality a little bit man. Get over it! You're haggling about calls from a Bowl Game that is literally a year ago today.

Come back to reality? You don't know me. Who are you to tell me to come back to reality? I mentioned last year's game because of this year's bowl game, but the thread ended up turning into more of a discussion about last year's.

Reality wrote:Come Back!!!!!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby niblet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 pm

knapplc wrote:
niblet wrote:

That's funny, but you guys are acting like I spend all day in my basement musing over last year's game.

I'm sure Axl's Army came in here, read one post about last year's Outback Bowl, and assumed that that was the whole topic of the thread.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:45 pm

niblet wrote:
knapplc wrote:
niblet wrote:

That's funny, but you guys are acting like I spend all day in my basement musing over last year's game.

I'm sure Axl's Army came in here, read one post about last year's Outback Bowl, and assumed that that was the whole topic of the thread.

Well let me tell ya, niblet, you've done nothing but get fisety with anyone who disagrees with your take or accusses you of just complaining. Dont bring up a topic if your not ready to handle someone telling you that your wrong or that they see it differently. No reason to take the disagreements personally.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:53 pm

It's a giant conspiracy.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:54 pm

VaderFin wrote:It's a giant conspiracy.

And Wikipedia is behind the Iowa conspiracy and BSU winning that game last night!
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby niblet » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:07 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
niblet wrote:
knapplc wrote:
niblet wrote:

Well let me tell ya, niblet, you've done nothing but get fisety with anyone who disagrees with your take or accusses you of just complaining. Dont bring up a topic if your not ready to handle someone telling you that your wrong or that they see it differently. No reason to take the disagreements personally.

Do you honestly expect me to confront someone nicely if they tell me I need to come back to reality, or cry a river build a bridge and get over it?

By the way, I am not getting fiesty with you ;-)
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:40 pm

niblet wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
niblet wrote:
knapplc wrote:
niblet wrote:

Do you honestly expect me to confront someone nicely if they tell me I need to come back to reality, or cry a river build a bridge and get over it?

By the way, I am not getting fiesty with you ;-)

No worries. Just trying to be a friendly poster. Maybe they meant what they typed in the manner your took it. Maybe they didnt. Your only going to be judged on what you post. My PSA is over. :-)
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to College Football