Trouble with Flash Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Trouble with Flash Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trouble with Flash Player

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:23 am

The past week whenever I visit a website that has video or something, it says I need to download Macromedia Flash Player 8 in order to view the content. It has a link so I go there. I follow the instructions and when I press the download button, it goes to a screen that says it was successfully downloaded. So I restart my computer/internet explorer and apparently the flash update didn't install. The sites such as espn.com still say I need to download it. Can anyone help me out here?? Here is the site that it takes me to: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:08 pm

Do you have any type of adware blocker that kills flash ads? Because that's one thing that I can think of from the top of my head without knowing the specifics of your computer configuration.

And I think ESPN uses the Shockwave player, not the Flash player, but I'm not too sure. You can try downloading the Shockwave player to see if that works.

Quick side question though, do other websites that use Flash work, or is it just ESPN that doesn't work?
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:14 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Do you have any type of adware blocker that kills flash ads? Because that's one thing that I can think of from the top of my head without knowing the specifics of your computer configuration.

And I think ESPN uses the Shockwave player, not the Flash player, but I'm not too sure. You can try downloading the Shockwave player to see if that works.

Quick side question though, do other websites that use Flash work, or is it just ESPN that doesn't work?

So far just ESPN and YouTube. Usually there is a video and a poll but there isn't anymore. Here is the notification I get when I go to espn.com:
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:17 pm

I think that you're more in need of the Shockwave player instead of the Flash player. Those two programs used to be basically the same thing, but I think that they've split now. Shockwave is for video while Flash is animation I think. Doesn't hurt to try installing Shockwave I suppose.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:33 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I think that you're more in need of the Shockwave player instead of the Flash player. Those two programs used to be basically the same thing, but I think that they've split now. Shockwave is for video while Flash is animation I think. Doesn't hurt to try installing Shockwave I suppose.

Both Shockwave and Macromedia are now part of Adobe I think. I just tried to download Shockwave Player and it said it was successful but I am still getting the notification to update. :-? Here is what I get when I go to YouTube.com:
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:05 pm

Hmmm...

Have you done anything to IE that could have possibly changed something? Update or plugin installation perhaps?

Only thing I can really think of is to try a restart and then possibly a system restore. Or you can try uninstalling all Adobe Flash stuff and then reinstalling them (Flash and Shockwave players). Maybe even check the Windows Update page to see if there are any IE updates you need.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:18 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Hmmm...

Have you done anything to IE that could have possibly changed something? Update or plugin installation perhaps?

Only thing I can really think of is to try a restart and then possibly a system restore. Or you can try uninstalling all Adobe Flash stuff and then reinstalling them (Flash and Shockwave players). Maybe even check the Windows Update page to see if there are any IE updates you need.

I updated to the new IE, but that was way back in November and these Error Update messages have only been occuring for the past week. One thing is sometimes when I try to install the Flash Player it says that it can't locate the "Plugin Directory."
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:53 pm

sox 06 wrote:I updated to the new IE, but that was way back in November and these Error Update messages have only been occuring for the past week. One thing is sometimes when I try to install the Flash Player it says that it can't locate the "Plugin Directory."

You may have some spyware squirrelled into somewhere. Maybe run a few spyware scans to check.

The Flash player installation unable to locate the plugin directory kind of makes it sound like you've got a corrupted Flash plugin that isn't being overwritten whenever you're trying to re-install. Best thing to do then, is to uninstall then reinstall using Adobe's uninstaller.

Download link here
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:47 pm

you might check your IE javascript settings. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Thanks for all of the help. I uninstalled both of the programs and I reinstalled the Adobe Shockwave Player and when I went to install the MAcromedia one, it said it installed but as usual it didn't and I'm still experiencing the problems.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk