Return to Football Talk

Dennis Green Fired

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dennis Green Fired

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:23 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716484

Cards fire Green after 5-11 season
Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals fired coach Dennis Green on Monday after he failed to turn the downtrodden franchise into a winner in three seasons on the job.

Green was dismissed one day after the Cardinals concluded a 5-11 season with a 27-20 loss at San Diego. He finished with a 16-32 record at Arizona. The Cardinals will pay $2.5 million to buy out the final year of his contract.

He was the seventh coach the Cardinals have had since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988.

Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dennis Green Fired

Postby footballfan30107 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:28 pm

to paraphrase Mcarthur..coaches don't go to arizona to win or keep their jobs, they go there to simply fade away..

arizona is a kiss of death for head coaches..

steelerfan513 wrote:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716484

Cards fire Green after 5-11 season
Associated Press

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals fired coach Dennis Green on Monday after he failed to turn the downtrodden franchise into a winner in three seasons on the job.

Green was dismissed one day after the Cardinals concluded a 5-11 season with a 27-20 loss at San Diego. He finished with a 16-32 record at Arizona. The Cardinals will pay $2.5 million to buy out the final year of his contract.

He was the seventh coach the Cardinals have had since the franchise moved to Arizona in 1988.

footballfan30107
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:30 pm

I would expect the next coach to win with these guys, if they can get a half decent offense they can with with such a skilled offense.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Munboy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:36 pm

I am shocked!! Really I AM!! 8-o

Whats the world coming to? next Art Shell will be fired too!! 8-o 8-o

:-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:36 pm

I don't think Arizona's bad year was his fault. However we all know who always is the easy scapegoat in these situations. If Arizona can improve their O'line, and shore up their defense, they could certainly be competitive.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:41 pm

I've thought Arizona has been growing good, young talent. I really thought with their new stadium they'd pull it together this year. But with a good coach next year, I like them to get close to .500 at least, but let's see who is the coach :-o
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:54 pm

Haha I had this pegged Halloween morning.

Good move by the Cards. They should easily make the playoffs next year... (Yeah right.... :-b )
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:19 pm

Now that Arizona has a real QB in place, they should actually compete well in 2007. Barring a Raider-esque boneheaded coaching move, I think they will have their best shot at winning the division in '07 for the past 5-10 years.

Look at their divisional record against the NFC West, they are very close to becoming a legit franchise. One Marvin Lewis type personality is all it will take. If Gruden were smart he would jump ship and sign up to a team with a real future.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Most of Arizona's failure the past couple years can easily be narrowed down to the horrible play by the o-line. Denny Green had been the coach for 3 years and the o-line hadn't improved by any margin. So he gets blamed for that, and rightly so IMO.

In any case, the future of the Cards offensive skill players have a bit of a cloud over them now. Whatever new coach comes in is unlikely to continue with the pass happy offense that Arizona had been forced to go with in the past. So for fantasy purposes of next year, I'd say that the values of Boldin and Fitz goes down while Edge's go up slightly. All depends on who the new coach will be I guess.

As for real life success of Arizona next year, I'd predict the Cards to be a contender in the NFCW only if the whole organization is gutted, not just Denny Green. Arizona's problem lies far deeper than coaching, and a mere head coach change isn't going to fix things entirely.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Humpback » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:08 pm

The bottom line is that they underacheived yet again, so he deserves to be fired. They had actually stated to play better, the line included, at the end of the year (just look at the rushing stats), so if they can manage to pick up a lineman or 2 via the draft or FA, a decent coach should have them in contention next year.
Last edited by Humpback on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Football Talk