Offseason Discussion/Possible Rule Changes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Flex-Factor Dynasty League

Offseason Discussion/Possible Rule Changes

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, dream_017, Football Moderators

Re: Offseason Discussion/Possible Rule Changes

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 am

stomperrob wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
You are correct...NO return yards for offensive players. ;-D

But I find almost everyone on my roster to be offensive after my last place finish!!!

:-B ;-) :-b

LMAO! :-b

Good one stomper. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat May 01, 2010 12:43 pm

So far we have no objections to expanding our rosters again for 2010. ;-D

Only a couple of people chimed in on this, and that's my fault because I didn't PM everyone to let them know we were discussing this. I'm going to PM everyone after I submit this post. ;-D

So assuming we have no objections to roster expansion, what should we do about expanding the rookie draft? Here's part of the discussion from last year:

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I was thinking that adding 2 spots would be good, but the more I think about it, I think we should add more than that. Right now we have 25 man rosters. I propose that we expand our roster size to 30 (maximum fleaflicker allows). I think that we should have an 8 round rookie draft this year. That will bring everyone to 33. Then we'll cut down to 30 before the season starts (Just like before). Then I think that future rookie drafts should be expanded to 6 rounds.

1. Expand roster size from 25 to 30.
2. Have an 8 round rookie draft this year...follow cut down procedures per normal.
3. 6 round rookie drafts in 2010 & beyond.

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Not a big fan of that spur-of-a-moment decision for that big a change. As a 2010 add that would be fine, but to toss it on top with the draft damn near here...I gotta go no.

Devil's Advocate...What order do we use? Straight NFL for 8 instead of 4? First Bite at the apple wouldn't be good enough for the bottom half, so let's give them two?

Wouldn't have necessarily done what I did in '08 had I known that would be the rule in '09...Like I said, you just don't reinvent wheels overnight in a dynasty.

Expanding the rosters is one thing, but arbitrarily extending the draft and giving teams extra bites? No sir. :-t

Good points Kilroy. ;-D

Seems like everyone likes the idea of increasing the roster size, but not the idea of expanding this years' rookie draft.

Either way, we'll definitely revisit this for 2010, but what about this for 2009:

Expand the roster size to 30. Leave the rookie draft as is. That will bring everyone to 29 players. We won't have to have a cutdown date. We'll all be able to add 1 player through FA (before the season starts) without having to drop anyone. That will bring everyone to 30 players. Then we can discuss adding rounds to the rookie draft for 2010 & beyond.

Thoughts? :-?

Question for Kilroy. Last year, I thought you meant that you were opposed to roster expansion & adding rounds to the rookie draft in the same offseason...period. Is that what you meant? Or were you opposed to roster expansion & bumping up the 2009 rookie draft to 8 rounds then changing the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2010 & beyond? :-?

If it's the former, I propose that we do the same thing that we did last year (expand roster by 5, 4 round rookie draft, add 1 FA before season), and then expand the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2011 & beyond.

If it's the latter, I propose that we expand the roster by 5 (30 to 35) & expand the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2010 & beyond. Then we'd all just have to cut down to 35 before the season started.

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sat May 01, 2010 12:51 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:So far we have no objections to expanding our rosters again for 2010. ;-D

Only a couple of people chimed in on this, and that's my fault because I didn't PM everyone to let them know we were discussing this. I'm going to PM everyone after I submit this post. ;-D

So assuming we have no objections to roster expansion, what should we do about expanding the rookie draft? Here's part of the discussion from last year:

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I was thinking that adding 2 spots would be good, but the more I think about it, I think we should add more than that. Right now we have 25 man rosters. I propose that we expand our roster size to 30 (maximum fleaflicker allows). I think that we should have an 8 round rookie draft this year. That will bring everyone to 33. Then we'll cut down to 30 before the season starts (Just like before). Then I think that future rookie drafts should be expanded to 6 rounds.

2. Have an 8 round rookie draft this year...follow cut down procedures per normal.

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Not a big fan of that spur-of-a-moment decision for that big a change. As a 2010 add that would be fine, but to toss it on top with the draft damn near here...I gotta go no.

Devil's Advocate...What order do we use? Straight NFL for 8 instead of 4? First Bite at the apple wouldn't be good enough for the bottom half, so let's give them two?

Wouldn't have necessarily done what I did in '08 had I known that would be the rule in '09...Like I said, you just don't reinvent wheels overnight in a dynasty.

Expanding the rosters is one thing, but arbitrarily extending the draft and giving teams extra bites? No sir. :-t

Good points Kilroy. ;-D

Seems like everyone likes the idea of increasing the roster size, but not the idea of expanding this years' rookie draft.

Either way, we'll definitely revisit this for 2010, but what about this for 2009:

Expand the roster size to 30. Leave the rookie draft as is. That will bring everyone to 29 players. We won't have to have a cutdown date. We'll all be able to add 1 player through FA (before the season starts) without having to drop anyone. That will bring everyone to 30 players. Then we can discuss adding rounds to the rookie draft for 2010 & beyond.

Question for Kilroy. Last year, I thought you meant that you were opposed to roster expansion & adding rounds to the rookie draft in the same offseason...period. Is that what you meant? Or were you opposed to roster expansion & bumping up the 2009 rookie draft to 8 rounds then changing the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2010 & beyond? :-?

If it's the former, I propose that we do the same thing that we did last year (expand roster by 5, 4 round rookie draft, add 1 FA before season), and then expand the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2011 & beyond.

If it's the latter, I propose that we expand the roster by 5 (30 to 35) & expand the rookie draft to 6 rounds for 2010 & beyond. Then we'd all just have to cut down to 35 before the season started.

I'm fine with expansion and adding two rounds to this year's draft...it was discussed a year ago, so teams knew going into the 2009 season that it could (and likely would) happen in 2010. My biggest bone of contention a year ago was that the idea wasn't even broached until just before the draft, and I don't feel that implementing that big a change in a dynasty immediately is (generally) a good idea.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat May 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Kilroy wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:So far we have no objections to expanding our rosters again for 2010. ;-D

flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Good points Kilroy. ;-D

I'm fine with expansion and adding two rounds to this year's draft...it was discussed a year ago, so teams knew going into the 2009 season that it could (and likely would) happen in 2010. My biggest bone of contention a year ago was that the idea wasn't even broached until just before the draft, and I don't feel that implementing that big a change in a dynasty immediately is (generally) a good idea.

Gotcha...thanks! I read it again after quoting it and thought I might have misunderstood. :-/ ;-D

That's 2 votes for Expand Roster by 5 & Rookie Draft to 6 Rounds! :-B :-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 01, 2010 1:23 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Gotcha...thanks! I read it again after quoting it and thought I might have misunderstood. :-/ ;-D

That's 2 votes for Expand Roster by 5 & Rookie Draft to 6 Rounds! :-B :-D

Works for me! ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby SeaWolf » Sat May 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Make that 4 for expanded rosters and 2 more rounds of drafting. ;-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:54 pm

id vote to keep everything the same but honestly don't care much either way
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

I have no issues with increasing the draft to 6 rounds, but not big fan of increasing the roster size. In all honesty I don't have as much time as I would like to invest in FFB, and this is my only experience with a fantasy league. Won't expanding the roster by 5 will hurt the waiver wire tremendously?
I had thought to propose that we have a IR slot on the roster so we didn't have to cut a player to cover and injury, but with 5 more players the odds of needing to find a replacement are virtually nil.
Regarding the waiver wire, I was thinking the other night why don't we eliminate the waiver wire? What if we were to hold suplimental drafts every X amount of weeks. The worse teams get first pick, any player taken must be replaced by someone off that teams roster who plays the same position. Just a random thought, thowing it out there. Mull it over.

As for this current legislation, I vote no on the roster size increase, but yes on rookie draft round increase. I will support the majority decision.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bungle613 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:38 pm

expand expand expand

Mooch, we may disagree but to me the waiver wire is a bonus for a dynasty league. Rosters should be large enough that you have that player you want stashed on a roster already. The breakout player in a league with these kind of informed owners should rarely have be available for a WW pickup.

Just my opinion.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby onnestabe » Mon May 03, 2010 11:16 am

I am in favor of roster expansion.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Flex-Factor Dynasty League