2006 Threads

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, Santacruzer, Football Moderators

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:59 am

20.08 Cory Bradford-WR, DET

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:14 pm

20.09 Jay Feely - K, NYG

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:24 pm

And with the final pick in the 2006 Cafeholics Anonymous draft, I select......

20.10 David Akers, K - PHI
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:27 pm

good draft guys ;-D

anyone wanna throw out some rankings of the finished teams (unbiased rankings, of course) ?

:-D
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:13 pm

I could put together some rankings for the teams. I think I'll do some in depth analysis of each team and then I'll try to rank them.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Team Analysis

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:20 pm

I'll be analyzing each team one by one in a post until I do all of them and then I will do my best to rank them accordingly. I'll do my best to be unbiased about all the teams. Enjoy!

-Matt
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:04 pm

My analysis of my team is that I'm going undefeated. ;-7

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:16 pm

First up.....

The Wrecking Crew
managed by floatsamnjetsam

QBs: Marc Bulger*, Michael Vick*, Byron Leftwich

My first thought here is that injury could end up being a big concern with this group of QBs. Bulger has proven to be somewhat injury prone but with the new focus on the run in STL he may take less of a beating. Vick is always an injury risk because he is a running QB, and on top of that he is a very inconsistent fantasy QB. Byron Leftwich is a solid QB, but he has also struggled with injury problems in the past and has a capable backup behind him.

Overall Grade: B-

RBs: LaDanian Tomlinson*, Dominick Davis*, Willie Parker, Ahman Green, DeAngelo Williams, Michael Turner

Very nice looking RBs here. Good depth and solid all the way down. LT is a stud of course, DD could be very good if he can stay healthy. He is a yardage machine and gets good totals both rushing and receiving. Willie Parker is the starting RB for a run first team in Pittsburgh, very nice as a #3. Ahman Green is a good guy to have as a #4 because he could end up being very good if he can bounce back from a down year last year. Williams is pure potential and with the depth at RB here, you can afford to keep him on in case Foster goes down. Turner is nice insurance for LT, although LT is one of the most durable RBs we've really ever seen.

Overall: A

WRs: Randy Moss*, Donald Driver*, Lee Evans*, Eddie Kennison*, Ernest Wilford, Roddy White, Bobby Engram

I don't see these WRs as being anything spectacular. Randy Moss could be a stud, but seeing as how it may depend on the play of Aaron Brooks and his health, it turns into a big if. Driver is a solid #2 because you know that Favre is going to throw the ball a good amount and Driver is the #1. Evans is a risk this year, he is a decent #3 I think but it will be tough for him to perform well with the offense the Bills have. The rest of the WRs will move in and out as the #4 on this team, and they are all reasonable options as a 4th starting receiver. Any Atlanta receiver can't have a ton of value as long as Vick is QB...

Overall: B

TE: Randy McMichael, Dallas Clark

Solid TE option here. Culpepper always threw to Wiggins a decent amount in Minnesota and McMichael is certainly more talented and a great red zone threat. McMichael has huge potential with either Culpepper or Harrington at QB because both would be a huge upgrade over their previous QBs, and McMichael was a solid contributor even then. The downside could be if either QB starts to look Chambers and Brown's way too often, McMichael could be left out of that production. Clark is a decent option at TE, a solid #2. He has plenty of upside being in the Colts passing game but Manning has so many other targets that it's tough to expect consistent contribution.

Overall: B+

K: Jay Feely

Very good Kicker. A kicker is a kicker, but Feely is the kicker for a very potent offense, and with an inconsistent QB in Eli Manning, it means plenty of opportunities for scoring chances for Feely. A good offense means plenty of time spent down in scoring position for a kicker and Feely is a very good kicker.

Overall: A-

DEF: Baltimore Ravens

Nice defensive unit here. Defenses can be unpredictable but with the drafting of Ngata at DT it will open things up for Ray Lewis to be productive again in the middle. Also, they should be back to somewhat full strength which is what really hindered them last year. A healthy Ray Lewis and Ed Reed will really boost that defense this year.

This is a very solid team, I see the biggest weaknesses being at QB and WR but he is strong at all other positions. Overall I would rate this team as being a B+.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattb47 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:54 pm

Team 2 is.....

Addictions R Us
managed by: The_Captain

QBs: Matt Hasselbeck*, Jake Plummer*, David Carr

Very solid, consistent QBs as the starters here. Hasselbeck is top 5 on nearly everyone's QB list this year. He is in a weak division defensively and with the addition of Burleson has very nice targets in the receiving game. Plummer has always been a decent fantasy QB, never anything real flashy, but he wont lose the game for you. This year with the addition of Javon Walker, he has the potential to get some real solid fantasy production. David Carr is just waiting to break out, his value would be higher if he had Reggie Bush as a target but with the addition of Moulds, he still has some very good targets out there with AJ, Moulds, and DD, along with Putzier at TE.

RBs: Tiki Barber*, Brian Westbrook*, Warrick Dunn, Chris Perry, Cedric Houston

Nice looking group here. Tiki is one of the best in the business and he is on an up and coming offense. He is very involved with that offense which means plenty of touches. The main concern here of course is his age, RBs in the 30s tend to break down and/or slow down without much warning. I'm not big on Westbrook personally, but if he can stay healthy he is a very nice option as he does do a lot in the passing game. He isn't a great between the tackles runner but he is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. Warrick Dunn makes for a very solid #3. He is a consistent producer and will always be counted on for good production yardage wise. The problem will always be that he will lose the goal line and short yardage touches. Perry and Houston only have potential if injuries happen, so they are decent #4 and #5 RBs......

Overall: A-/B+

WRs: Marvin Harrison*, Donte Stallworth*, Michael Clayton*, Keyshawn Johnson*, Cedrick Wilson, Rod Gardner, Reggie Williams

Harrison is a stud, he is still Manning's top option even with the emergence of Wayne as being more involved in the offense. I think it is tough to say how big his numbers will be though, mainly because of the increase in production from Wayne in comparison to Harrison. After Harrison though, I am a little concerned about the WRs. Stallworth and Clayton both have the potential to be good #2 WRs but right now both are stuck as the #2 option behind veteran WRs. They definitely have potential to do well, but right now neither is a great #2 WR. Keyshawn may struggle to put up good numbers this year as Delhomme tends to focus his attention on one receiver as his main target, and there's no way Keyshawn beats out Steve Smith for that honor. The rest of the WRs are big ???. Wilson, Gardner, and Williams are all unknowns on how they will perform this year.

Overall: B-

TEs: Todd Heap*, Ben Troupe*, Alex Smith

Todd Heap is definitely one of the best this year at TE. I think he'll be the #2 TE overall this year behind Gates. The signing of McNair is huge for Heap as he has been solid with Boller at QB, a huge improvement like McNair can only help his production. McNair showed in Tennessee that he likes throwing to his TEs and I see that continuing with a very talented TE in Baltimore. Troupe has potential this year, but I'm not sure how having Billy Volek instead of McNair will help or hurt his production. Volek tended to look more to Bennett at WR than he did to the TEs when I saw him play but that's a real unknown. Troupe is extremely talented however.

K: Josh Brown

Very nice option at Kicker. Anytime you can get a kicker for a good offensive team, they are bound to get opportunities to score. Kickers are unpredictable, but he's a very solid option.

OVerall: A-

DEF: Jacksonville Jaguars

I really like the Jacksonville defense this year. The downside is that they play Indy twice, but they are one of the few teams that has really been able to hold Indy in check defensively. I think that they are in for a very nice season once again.

Overall: A

This is a very good looking team. The big weakness I see is at WR, but it is made up for with being strong at all other positions. I have some concerns at RB with Westbrook, as I see him as a large injury concern, but if he stays healthy his RBs are very solid.

Overall I would give this team an A-
Last edited by mattb47 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moonhead » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:07 pm

oh jesus. my team is going to get destroyed. stupid drafting early. :-D
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to Cafeholics Anonymous