Saban Watch! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Saban Watch!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Does someone know how much he earned while with the Phins? On the radio they were saying he was earning 4.5 million for last season and if the Bama report is right (8 yrs, 32 million), he recieves 4 million per year. So actually he is taking a pay cut.

And when did he say it was 50-50 that he was going to leave?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Saban did all he could for the Dolphin's. They should be happy they had him for as long as they did. Miami is a much better team now than they would have been without Saban at all.

That said, Miami is no longer a playoff team in 2007.

I can't blame Saban. At least the man had enough balls to go out and do what he wants with his life.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:31 am

RocketsDWM wrote:And when did he say it was 50-50 that he was going to leave?

I said that when a coach says he hasn't been in contact with another team it's 50-50 that he will take the job in question.

Same with Cowher and his resignation, it's 50-50 he'll be coaching again within two seasons.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby deacon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:40 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Saban did all he could for the Dolphin's. They should be happy they had him for as long as they did. Miami is a much better team now than they would have been without Saban at all.

That said, Miami is no longer a playoff team in 2007.

I can't blame Saban. At least the man had enough balls to go out and do what he wants with his life.

???
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: Saban Watch!

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Just had to drag up this 6 year old thread as some are speculating that Saban is headed back to the NFL after winning his third National Championship in 4 years at Alabama. I really don't see anyone hiring him after his last stint in the NFL with Miami.

He really doesn't have the temperament to succeed in the NFL - here's an excerpt from an article that sums it up rather well:
This is not to say that I disagree with Saban's sensibilities: College football is where he belongs. When you are such an intractable, humorless control freak that you react to a team employee commenting benignly upon your haircut by issuing a decree that staffers outside of football operations can no longer speak to you in the hallways, as Saban apparently did during his two-year stint with the Dolphins, it's a clear-cut sign that professional football is not for you.

Saban is the worst kind of bully, an autocrat so consumed with his power — and making the people under him feel that power, at every opportunity — that his ill-tempered insecurity supersedes all else. The lower level the employee, the higher the likelihood that Saban would pull a power trip. Yes, he was a wonderful boss.

You can get away with that boorish behavior in a college town where everything revolves around the university's football program, and where you can lord your authority over players whose scholarships and NFL futures hang in the balance. Making dissent even less likely is the reality that the young men you coach cycle through the program every three-to-five years, and only have to be around you for a limited, NCAA-mandated number of hours per week.

In the NFL, where up-front money and salary-cap concerns make certain players difficult to cut or trade and where veteran leadership is essential for locker-room stability, Saban's style is an impediment to sustained success.

Read the entire article at: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--dicta ... 35838.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to Football Talk