Lions to keep Millen - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions to keep Millen

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 pm

People in Detorit, get ready for another losing season. !+)
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Thing is, DET has a great coach now, and i think Mooch was a good coach as well, but with Millen not getting the right pieces it will falll to crap.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:28 am

William Clay Ford has just done wonders in his half century or so with the Lions - guess we know why the family and the board never let him run Ford Motor Co. despite his protestations! :-t :-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby biju » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:12 am

Mercer Boy wrote:This is exactly like my Pirates in baseball. It's obvious that the GM is a bumbling idiot that has no business having a job, but the owners are comfortable with him and they are making money...so they just don't give a crap what the people think.

I will hand it to the Lions fans...they do a good job with the protests and stuff, but unfortunately the only way things will change is if the team starts losing money which forces the owners to sell. The only way that will happen is if no one goes to the games and no one buys their merchandise. With a stadium that holds upwards of 80,000 people, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Leaving a game halfway through means nothing because they've already got the money. :-/

See this is how you get to an owner. Dear Detroit--stop buying tickets to the games. Do you really think the owner is going to care if you buy a ticket to protest with a bag on your head? They chase one guy around on TV to make it look like he's against it and now there's a stadium full of bags. It makes no sense.

Stop buying anything Lions and let them lose their ass for a year. Trust me, they'll fire him before the preseason starts if they aren't making any money.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:27 am

biju wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:This is exactly like my Pirates in baseball. It's obvious that the GM is a bumbling idiot that has no business having a job, but the owners are comfortable with him and they are making money...so they just don't give a crap what the people think.

I will hand it to the Lions fans...they do a good job with the protests and stuff, but unfortunately the only way things will change is if the team starts losing money which forces the owners to sell. The only way that will happen is if no one goes to the games and no one buys their merchandise. With a stadium that holds upwards of 80,000 people, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Leaving a game halfway through means nothing because they've already got the money. :-/

See this is how you get to an owner. Dear Detroit--stop buying tickets to the games. Do you really think the owner is going to care if you buy a ticket to protest with a bag on your head? They chase one guy around on TV to make it look like he's against it and now there's a stadium full of bags. It makes no sense.

Stop buying anything Lions and let them lose their ass for a year. Trust me, they'll fire him before the preseason starts if they aren't making any money.

Exactly - the fans have to vote with their feet - don't go to the games!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:34 am

biju wrote:

Easier said than done... Your asking that every single Lions fan out there (detroit is a big city) to just give up on the Lions for a whole year... Probably not going to happen.

Shouldn't Millen's horrid record and people with fire Millen bags on their heads be enough? Why should the fans have to abandon their team just to get their point across. It's BS in my opinion.

RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:55 am

You are right...it is easier said than done. But still...the NFL is a business, and businesses are created to make money. The owner doesn't give a crap that his product stinks because all he wants to do is make a profit. He is making a killing off of sports fans, and it's a terrible, horrible thing to do. :-t

Like I said...the same thing is happening in Pittsburgh with the Pirates. The owners have a bumbling idiot (Dave Littlefield) for a GM...he spends just enough money to make it look like the team is trying to improve, and the owners pocket the rest. Revenue sharing gives the owners quite a bit of free money, and they take a lot of it for themselves.

The problem is people (like me) really like baseball and going to games. They get my money either way...the fairweather fans that go for a stupid piece of plastic with a spring for a head are the ones that really annoy me. Unless these people stop going to games, nothing will change...:,-(

I imagine those 80,000 people feel the same way about their football that I do about my baseball...so unless the NFL steps in and does something about it (which they can't really do) or people stage the ultimate protest by not going to games, your plight may continue for a long time.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 am

RWLongy4 wrote:Shouldn't Millen's horrid record and people with fire Millen bags on their heads be enough? Why should the fans have to abandon their team just to get their point across. It's BS in my opinion.

It should, but apparently it isn't, so if the fans really want him gone they have to hit the owners where it hurts, the wallet. An empty or even half vacant Detroit stadium on opening day would really get there attention, and the Ford's would let that go on for even half a season without doing something to appear the fans.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:23 am

For those that are saying to not go to the games, it's not that easy. Would you give up your season tickets with the possibility that you would not get them back once the team does turn things around? The majority of people that go to the game have season tickets...there is even a waiting list. This is how much people love football and especially how much they love football in Detroit.

Yes, I am one of those season ticket holders and even though there has been talk within my group about not going to some games next year (selling some of the tickets), there has never been the talk of giving up our tickets. Are we part of the problem? Yes and No. The NFL owners make money in more ways than selling tickets. Most of the consessions go to local schools and charities. In my opinion the fans have done just about as much as they can do to get ownership to see the disaster they have created. It is now in their court to make the move....maybe next year :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:15 pm

I kind of agree, that organizing season ticket holders to give up their tickets would be almost impossible. Not without some kind of guarantee that those owners would get their season tickets back once changes are made. And since that would entail some sort of cooperation from the Lions, even more doubtful.

What would hurt though, is if the corporate sponsors and corporate owners of luxury box seats started to sell or dump. That would definitely get the attention of the Ford family. Unfortunately, another possibility that is also highly unlikely.

Looks like you Lions fans are stuck with Millen. My condolences.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk