Lions to keep Millen - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions to keep Millen

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Millen wrote:"I only think there's one winner a year (the Super Bowl winner). I've always believed that. There's one winner, and everybody else fails. The rest of it's just draft status."

Well by that criteria Millen is pretty successful. I mean sure he hasn't one any Super Bowls, but he sure dominates the draft status front.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Infidel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:29 pm

My take on it is that Ford is completely senile and really is unaware of the state of the LyClowns.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:13 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
Millen wrote:"I only think there's one winner a year (the Super Bowl winner). I've always believed that. There's one winner, and everybody else fails. The rest of it's just draft status."

Well by that criteria Millen is pretty successful. I mean sure he hasn't one any Super Bowls, but he sure dominates the draft status front.

ahh that must be it... Millen just must not try until he gets a superbowl caliber team... whew
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dgan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:42 am

A strong pitch will be made to re-sign wide receiver Mike Furrey and defensive tackle Cory Redding before they become free agents, Millen said.

"Both those guys are exactly what you're looking for," he said.

That's funny - I assumed the 3 receivers you drafted in the first round were the guys you were looking for.

What a crock - this is the most absurd thing I have ever heard in sports, bar none. People pointed out Walker and Bowie, but those only looked REALLY stupid in hindsight. At the time, they were not that outlandish.

This, however, is a guy without an endorsement from anyone other than his boss. Find me one quote from anyone not named Ford that says this is a good idea. The new NFL Commish should step in and push sanity down their throats. It isn't just bad for the Lions, but for the NFL. So I think the Commish has every right to get involved and do whatever it is he has the power to do.

Maybe they should play every Detroit game on the NFL Network...that'll show 'em!
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:50 am

Using my best Nelson voice, I just point and say, "HA ha!"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:04 am

I think the Lions will actually do well next year, but it will have nothing to do with Matt Millen. It will be b/c of Marinelli/Martz/Joe Barry as the coaches. The Lions will get better under Rod Marinelli and look for that D to get better. Simeon Rice will probably be up there playing end and i think the Lions draft Gaines Adams
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 am

dgan wrote:
A strong pitch will be made to re-sign wide receiver Mike Furrey and defensive tackle Cory Redding before they become free agents, Millen said.

"Both those guys are exactly what you're looking for," he said.

That's funny - I assumed the 3 receivers you drafted in the first round were the guys you were looking for.

What a crock - this is the most absurd thing I have ever heard in sports, bar none. People pointed out Walker and Bowie, but those only looked REALLY stupid in hindsight. At the time, they were not that outlandish.

This, however, is a guy without an endorsement from anyone other than his boss. Find me one quote from anyone not named Ford that says this is a good idea. The new NFL Commish should step in and push sanity down their throats. It isn't just bad for the Lions, but for the NFL. So I think the Commish has every right to get involved and do whatever it is he has the power to do.

Maybe they should play every Detroit game on the NFL Network...that'll show 'em!

Trust me, I am not trying to stick up for Millen(see sig below), but at the time his recent drafts have been graded as being very good. Yes, the BMW pick was not very good, but there were people that still gave the Lions a good grade:

Detroit Lions 2003 -
Here is a thumbnail review and grades for the '03 draft for the NFC
Grade: B-

Detroit Lions 2004
Lions Grade: A

Detroit Lions 2004
But in orchestrating a second consecutive solid draft over the weekend, Millen took yet another step toward having the imaginary dunce cap removed from his cranium, and the Lions may have taken a quantum leap toward respectability. Six choices, not exactly a bounty in terms of raw numbers, but probably three starters.

Detroit Lions 2004
WINNERS
• Matt Millen -- Speaking of G.M.s whose level of experience has been questioned, the Lions top decision-maker had himself quite a Saturday. First, he extracts a high second-round pick out of Cleveland for moving down just one spot, from sixth to seventh, winding up with one of the draft's special players in Texas receiver Roy Williams at No. 7. Then he uses that extra No. 2 to trade back into the bottom of the first round, filling the team's crying need for a lead running back with Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones at No. 30. Topping things off, the Lions picked up the quality linebacker they were in the market for, selecting Oklahoma's Teddy Lehman early in the second round. With three of the first 37 players taken, the Lions mopped up.

Detroit Lions 2005
Detroit Lions, A-.
--I really like what the Lions did this weekend. Mike Williams fell to 10, and the Lions snagged him up immediately. He did not fill a pressing need, but you simply cannot pass on a talent like him. Some people want to criticize them for the pick, but with Charles Rogers never even making it to the midway point of the season healthy, Williams is needed. Joey Harrington has no more excuses now. In the second, the Lions again drafted a falling Trojan in DT Shaun Cody. Continuing the trend of California players, the Lions made another solid value pick in CB from Stanford, Stanley Wilson. Day Two provided some nice developmental players in QB Dan Orlovsky, LB Jonathan Goddard, and DE Bill Swancutt.
Keep an eye on: Jonathan Goddard, OLB, Marshall.

Detroit Lions 2005
Final grade: B-plus

Detroit Lions 2006
OVERALL
This was a good job overall. 9th overall might have been a tad high for Sims, but I like him in their defense provided he can stay healthy. Good values with Scott, Calhoun and Matua. The key here is that they got two likley starters with Sims and Bullocks and they both fit Rod Marinelli's defense.
B

dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 am

Dream your post simple shows how hard it is to predict draft sucess. Time has shown that Millen has no talent for drafting. His lastest right coach is a guy who wants men who love football. Translation: it's not about talent, it's all about coaching.
Reality: it's all about talent. Talented players have long ago been taught about pad level and gap disciplin. It is much more likely that highly touted Warren Sapp and Simeon Rice made Marinelli that the other way around.

As for the topic at hand. I am trying to boycott the Lions until Millen is gone, even though I know that he is only a symptom. William Clay Ford is the problem. He was born into wealth and found to be so incompetent that they bought him a football team as a parting gift since there was no way the Fords were going to let him have anything to do with FoMoCo.
Once you understand this, you can see why he doesn't care about Millen's record. Pressure was put on him to make a change and he finally caved. He hire Millen. Now he stubbornly keeps the idiot becuase:

1) He likes talking to him. WCF has always been a sucker to ass-kisseers (see Wayne Fontes) and Millen quickly learned what the old coot wanted to hear.

2) He likes more being able to tell people who pushed him for this change "How do you like it now"

3) He doesn't care. One of the premises that all the writers repeat is that WCF wants to win, he just doesn't know how. That is a lie.He has never been one to use networking: asking opinions of peers. The NFL had evne offered to help him pick people in his front office in order to become more competitive. He turned them down. He doesn't care. Remember, the Lions are no more than a possesion for him. His family bought them for him, a parting gift. He not only doesn't care about the team, he doesn't care about their fans. They are a piece of the equipment that came with the team. He can't relate to the fan anymore than a fan can relate to him. We think in different languages.

4) The money doesn't matter. The Lions are worth so much more than they were when they were bought by the Fords, and the NFL so lucrative that even if nobody bought tickets the team would still turn a nice profit. Not that it would matter to WCF. He has money, gifted not earned, so doens't place the same value on maximizing profit as someone who actually had to make money.

5) He doesn't care about public opinion. He is close to the end of his life, for which I do not wish on him but will celebrate, and has isolated himself from those who would tell him he's a fool. Pure case of emporers new clothes.

On the bright side, and this shows you just how resiliant hope is, there is talk that when Marinelli and the Lions lose there millen-esque 10 games that they will both be fired. Just rumors, crumbs for the masses.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:33 am

moochman wrote:Dream your post simple shows how hard it is to predict draft sucess.

Correct, I did not mean to imply that he has done a good job drafting, just showing that at the time the drafts for the most part they were rated a success. He has done a terrible job in overall talent evaluation and projecting players to play in the next level.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:33 pm

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:Dream your post simple shows how hard it is to predict draft sucess.

Correct, I did not mean to imply that he has done a good job drafting, just showing that at the time the drafts for the most part they were rated a success. He has done a terrible job in overall talent evaluation and projecting players to play in the next level.

And player development. I guarantee you that they could roll Orlovski onto the field and he would look no better than he did the day they drafted him. They simply have no idea how to build a team in any meaningful way.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk