Milestone Posts Question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Milestone Posts Question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Milestone Posts Question

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm

I've seen a ton of "Congrats for 2000 Posts" threads lately and I was wondering when you guys celebrate them. What's the number of posts? Does everyone get a congrats thread or is it just a random sort of thing?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Every 1000 posts. And whoever is first to notice gets dibs on posting it, with the restriction that you must attempt to come up with a clever way to incorporate the number of posts and screen name of the poster into the title, even if you can't and it just comes so corny you must hang your head in shame for weeks to come.

;-)
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:49 pm

It's a custom whose time has come and gone, if you ask me. It's flattering and all, but with an excess of 1,000 "regular" posters, it's a bit much to have congrats threads for all of us.

And yes, I recognize that I'm saying this with a "Congrats to Knappy" thread on the front page. Sorry if I'm the Grinch, but that's how I feel.

Take me for example. I turn over 1,000 posts about every four to six weeks. Do I REALLY need a pat on the back every time? Really?

I would suggest paying more attention to everyone's anniversary date and giving them a hearty congrats on those occasions. Longevity is a better method of judging "worth" as post count if you ask me.

Go ahead - flame away at me.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:50 pm

knapplc wrote:It's a custom whose time has come and gone, if you ask me. It's flattering and all, but with an excess of 1,000 "regular" posters, it's a bit much to have congrats threads for all of us.

And yes, I recognize that I'm saying this with a "Congrats to Knappy" thread on the front page. Sorry if I'm the Grinch, but that's how I feel.

Take me for example. I turn over 1,000 posts about every four to six weeks. Do I REALLY need a pat on the back every time? Really?

I would suggest paying more attention to everyone's anniversary date and giving them a hearty congrats on those occasions. Longevity is a better method of judging "worth" as post count if you ask me.

I think it's a good idea. I was just curious as to what the guidelines are. ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:04 pm

knapplc wrote:It's a custom whose time has come and gone, if you ask me. It's flattering and all, but with an excess of 1,000 "regular" posters, it's a bit much to have congrats threads for all of us.

ungrateful bastard. You know how long it takes to come up with one of those witty titles?! ;-) :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:

ungrateful bastard. You know how long it takes to come up with one of those witty titles?! ;-) :-b

:-b thats funny. :-b

I kinda agree with knapp though maybe the GT regulars should have their first K acknowledged then 5K of course and maybe every 5K after that. Or after the Hall the anniversary of their joined date. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:43 pm

i agree with you guys. a number of guys these days get a milestone thread every few weeks. seems excessive.

i like the idea of the start date ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:59 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:i agree with you guys. a number of guys these days get a milestone thread every few weeks. seems excessive.

I like that idea.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna post a few threads until its official. :-b }:-)
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:i agree with you guys. a number of guys these days get a milestone thread every few weeks. seems excessive.

I like that idea.

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna post a few threads until its official. :-b }:-)

I say the Hall and then joined date. :-b

Maybe we should run a poll. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:07 pm

I do too, but you know there's going to be an awful lot of congrats threads popping up during the preseason, when most are preoccupied with, uh, other things.

Metroid wrote:I kinda agree with knapp though maybe the GT regulars should have their first K acknowledged then 5K of course and maybe every 5K after that. Or after the Hall the anniversary of their joined date. :-?

Knapp says he didn't even have his 1st K acknowledged. I know I didn't. I don't think the 1st K is that important. I was still a newbie and I think very few people, aside from some around GT (<cough>that thread<cough>), knew who I was, so I wasn't deserved of a milestone thread. Most aren't. I would like to see maybe a milestone thread every odd K, with the exception of the 10K, 20K, etc. (and, as mentioned, the 1st).

Ultimately, though, I think milestone threads are a break for the usual and a way for us to offer our appreciation for other Cafer's contributions around the Cafe. Whether it be Swiper's obvious contributions, or Met's not-so-obvious ones, these guys are deserved of a pat on the back now and then. We get a chance to give these guys a word of appreciation for making the Cafe what it is, and what it is for the individual Cafer.

I do wish, however, that the posts in milestone threads were a bit more thought out. I'm guilty of the ;-D or the simple 'Congrats' as well, but I'd like to see people refrain from these and spell it out more. And if you don't know who the guy is, or don't like what he's brought, don't applaud him. It isn't sincere. I suppose my opinions may be different than those who like to see their milestone threads hit the 3rd page, but substance is worth more than 8 letters. It'll stay the way it is, and maybe I'm fine with that, and maybe I'm overanalyzing it, but I'd like to see people (including myself) give a little more thought in their posts in milestone threads.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk