"Milestone" Thread Criteria - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

"Milestone" Thread Criteria

Moderator: Football Moderators

What should be the criteria for starting a "milestone" thread?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 am

Every 1000 posts (leave it the way it is)
61%
Every anniversary of the member's "joined" date (your cafe birthday)
No votes
Hall of Fame (5000 posts)
6%
Every anniversary AND Hall of Fame
16%
None. "Milestone" posts are for post padding
16%

Total votes : 49

Postby CC » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Canacuna wrote:When I'm parousing the 'ol Cafe... y'know, looking to fill a void in my boring and empty life, or maybe just for a quick giggle... I know whose posts to watch out for, and it's got nothing to do with their post count and everything to do with how entertaining they are to me. Legends like Canadian_Cheesehead, Mercer Boy, Brutally Huge, and Culboarder spring to mind when I think of entertainment in its purest form... or at least, at the Cafe.

The thing with post counts, is that they're there. They're there and someone's gonna recognize the fact that so-and-so has a million posts and is gonna create a milestone topic for 'em if that person is awesome enough... or in some cases, maybe not. I dunno. I'm know I'm not around here as much as I used to be, but back when I was patrolling the General Talk forum I'd throw out some love to the people who deserved it... or in VHawk's case, was in desperate need of it. And if I was the recipient of a milestone thread, I'd try and make it somewhat worthwhile with a long, drawn-out speech to cap things off.

I've liked the idea of getting rid of post-counts for a long time. If people stick around long enough, they'll get the idea of whose posts are worth their time. But it's still no biggie - I never understood why a few milestone threads on the front page was a problem for some people. Post counts... no post counts... it doesn't matter to me. I won't go barging into Arlo or Menyak's houses to threaten them over it anytime soon. 'Cause that'd just be CRAZY. But I'm really just writing this to kill time before I head out to dinner. So basically, yeah - this is just another nonsensical rambling. woot.

Hugs and kisses,

The 'Cuna

You're #1 in my books Cuna.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:07 pm

CC wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:What , exactly, are we congratulating these folks on? Why is it an achievement to post a thousand times, or five thousand, or a million even? People worry too much about post counts and icons, and it really detracts from the original purpose of this site, which was to have a friendly community of people (which we do have) that just want to talk football, be it straight talk or fantasy and help each other. You shouldn't need any more reward than getting a "thank you" from someone who read your advice, or a spirited conversation with others. I put out a blanket congratulatory statement sometime back as I simply didn't want to keep up with the amount of threads being started about so-called milestones. JMO, but hey, that's the beauty of the Cafe! ;-D

Word.
Honestly I don't even notice post counts anymore, I post way less than I used to (and almost exclusively in College Sports) and half of these people with 5000 posts I don't know of, someone's opinion should be based on content and not how times they have provided their opinion.

I agree 100% with both posts. I mean it's cool when you get a congrats thread made for you only because it shows that people are noticing you, but post counts are so overrated. There are so many people at the cafe that might have "only" 1000-2000 or so posts that contribute a lot more (overall) than some people with a lot more posts. But who cares? Why do so many people really care about their post counts?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk