Former ARK WR transfers to USC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Former ARK WR transfers to USC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Former ARK WR transfers to USC

Postby Sandrock » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Wide receiver Damian Williams, who asked for a release from his scholarship after playing a season at Arkansas, has decided to transfer to the University of Southern California, according to a published report.

Williams' father told the Los Angeles Times that his son is in the process of registering for the spring semester at USC.

"We let Damian make his own decision," his father, David Williams, told the newspaper. "We're concerned about his education, and we also want him to go where he develops to become the best player he can become."

Williams was named to the Southeastern Conference all-freshman team after making 19 receptions for 235 yards and two touchdowns last season. He missed the No. 12 Razorbacks' 17-14 loss Monday to No. 6 Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla.

Williams was one of four players from Springdale High School to sign with Arkansas. Parents of Williams, quarterback Mitch Mustain and tight end Ben Cleveland met with Arkansas athletic director after the regular season to express concern about the direction of the offense, which relied during the season on star running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

Williams decided to transfer soon after the meeting and coach Houston Nutt granted his release, making him ineligible for the bowl game.

During his recruitment from high school, Williams had orally committed to Florida, then changed his mind and signed with Arkansas.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indys_time » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Dang it seemed that USC might have to develop WRs, but nope they get another good one. :~( :-t :-[
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:22 pm

Indys_time wrote:Dang it seemed that USC might have to develop WRs, but nope they get another good one. :~( :-t :-[

He still has to sit out a year so they'll have to do something next year with most likely losing Smith and Jarrett.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:49 pm

I don't know that I'd want the guy. He's leaving because he wasn't the focus of an offense that features Darren McFadden. It's a bit unrealistic to think that you'll be a featured part of that offense as a freshman, isn't it?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:29 pm

knapplc wrote:I don't know that I'd want the guy. He's leaving because he wasn't the focus of an offense that features Darren McFadden. It's a bit unrealistic to think that you'll be a featured part of that offense as a freshman, isn't it?

I would think so, Harvin is much better than him and the offense doesn't revolve around Harvin
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eman » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

Hes got talent and Im not concerned about attitude issues because Carroll doesnt tolerate any of that bs and he will be sure to put Williams in his place if his ego gets inflated. I hope he doesnt have any ego issues though, because he is definitely talented and could contribute in the '08 season.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm

eman wrote:Hes got talent and Im not concerned about attitude issues because Carroll doesnt tolerate any of that bs and he will be sure to put Williams in his place if his ego gets inflated. I hope he doesnt have any ego issues though, because he is definitely talented and could contribute in the '08 season.

He tolerates Jarrett
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:00 pm

I'm not sure I'd even want this guy on my team (for the week) at this point.

This is a guy who had a strong verbal commit to Florida and then bailed out on signing day after UF had lost several other big recruits because they had that scholarship written off to Williams. Now not even a year later he's transferring off a top 15 team because he wasn't the focal point of the offense as a true freshman?

I hope he gets overshadowed by the enormous young talent USC has and never sees the field.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
eman wrote:Hes got talent and Im not concerned about attitude issues because Carroll doesnt tolerate any of that bs and he will be sure to put Williams in his place if his ego gets inflated. I hope he doesnt have any ego issues though, because he is definitely talented and could contribute in the '08 season.

He tolerates Jarrett

Exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sandrock » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:38 pm

Huge difference between what eman is saying and what you guys are thinking he's saying.

Jarrett works hard in practice and in the weight room. And he got a talking to for his taunting in the Rose Bowl. Carroll doesn't let players in the game that don't do the work off the field.

As for this transfer, he'll get his shot. But if he comes in with the attitude that he's the best, he'll be put in his place. With all that talent at USC, he'll have to prove it. And he'll have a tough time doing it.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football