Sugar Bowl - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Sugar Bowl

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:31 am

lsufan wrote:deerayfan072, I think lsu made it too easy on you guys this season. If Russell comes back yall better be ready for some trouble here in Louisiana next year.

I've said all year that LSU is at least as good if not better than UF even though we beat them by 2 scores and I still believe it despite my homerism. They gave that game away with a muffed punt and fumbled snap on 1st and goal from the 1 (although turnovers do seem to be their M.O. in big games and they need to cut that out).

CC wrote:I think LSU is a great team, but a playoff system basically gives them a pass for losing two games this year, it kind of detracts from college football when the need to win every week isn't emphasized and two loss teams can have a shot at the NC.

I agree 100% and that's the main reason I haven't been as gung-ho about a playoff as everyone else seems to be. I wouldn't mind it at this point, but I'm not clamoring for it like most everyone else either.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowride » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:49 am

lsufan wrote:The sad thing is so far the BCS is sort of working.

The sad thing is that isn't possible. As long as the BCS system is in place there won't be a true champion....only a champion of a pathetic and inherently flawed system.
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 am

CC wrote:
lsufan wrote:deerayfan072, I think lsu made it too easy on you guys this season. If Russell comes back yall better be ready for some trouble here in Louisiana next year.

I'll be routing for Florida next Monday. Hate to admit it but I have to rout for the SEC.

How great would a playoff be. If the NCAA can't see how big it would be to have a playoff they must be blind. The sad thing is so far the BCS is sort of working. Michigan didn't deserve a rematch and the bowl game proved it. LSU is the 3rd best team. Ohio State and Florida deserve the championship game. I really think Ohio State and Florida are lucky. LSU would give them problems in a playoff as good as they are playing right now.

I think LSU is a great team, but a playoff system basically gives them a pass for losing two games this year, it kind of detracts from college football when the need to win every week isn't emphasized and two loss teams can have a shot at the NC.

I see your point about it detracting from the must win scenario.

2 loss teams may have a shot but like the NFL they should have to play away games to get there. The top ranked teams would probably get a bye in a playoff system. At least that is how I would set it up.

But even in the NFL only half the time, if that, does the best team actually win. See Pitt last year. They were not the best but were playing the best kind of like LSU.

I'm all for a Playoff system. I think it would be interesting instead of matching up a bunch of teams including those who are close to .500 and then trying to rank them when its over. Everytime I look at the end of year rankings I disagree with them anyway and wonder what would happen if ? played ?. Example: BSU can only move up to 8th because they haven't beat 1-7. But who knows they might be able to. Or LSU, how would they do against say SUC or OSU? Only a playoff system will tell.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:16 am

Ah, another season another overrated ND team loses a bowl game. ;-D
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:30 pm

dgan wrote:
CC wrote:

I'll be routing for Florida next Monday. Hate to admit it but I have to rout for the SEC.

How great would a playoff be. If the NCAA can't see how big it would be to have a playoff they must be blind. The sad thing is so far the BCS is sort of working. Michigan didn't deserve a rematch and the bowl game proved it. LSU is the 3rd best team. Ohio State and Florida deserve the championship game. I really think Ohio State and Florida are lucky. LSU would give them problems in a playoff as good as they are playing right now.

I think LSU is a great team, but a playoff system basically gives them a pass for losing two games this year, it kind of detracts from college football when the need to win every week isn't emphasized and two loss teams can have a shot at the NC.

Umm...so you're saying that we shouldn't have a NC game this year, since only one team is undefeated? Oh wait...and Boise State. There you go - OSU vs. Boise State for the National Championship. Obviously winning every week is still pretty meaningless in this system as well.

You'll have to come up with a better argument than that.

Yea, but in this system losing one game can easily knock you out of contention, if there were two major undefeated teams losing a game would mean you didn't get a shot at the title. Even with this system, every team who lost one game except Florida missed out on their title shot and this made every game must win. I don't see how winning every week is now meaningless, if you want to assure yourself a shot at the title you have to win every week, otherwise you will need some help.

March Madness is great to watch, but you don't always crown the best team the champ, does anyone think that the 10 loss champs from Villanova in the 80s were the best team?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:20 pm

CC wrote:
dgan wrote:
CC wrote:

Umm...so you're saying that we shouldn't have a NC game this year, since only one team is undefeated? Oh wait...and Boise State. There you go - OSU vs. Boise State for the National Championship. Obviously winning every week is still pretty meaningless in this system as well.

You'll have to come up with a better argument than that.

Yea, but in this system losing one game can easily knock you out of contention, if there were two major undefeated teams losing a game would mean you didn't get a shot at the title. Even with this system, every team who lost one game except Florida missed out on their title shot and this made every game must win. I don't see how winning every week is now meaningless, if you want to assure yourself a shot at the title you have to win every week, otherwise you will need some help.

March Madness is great to watch, but you don't always crown the best team the champ, does anyone think that the 10 loss champs from Villanova in the 80s were the best team?

If they strung together straight 6 wins when it mattered, then yes they were the best team.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm

CC wrote:
...does anyone think that the 10 loss champs from Villanova in the 80s were the best team?

Clearly they were, since they won.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:
...does anyone think that the 10 loss champs from Villanova in the 80s were the best team?

I disagree. Last year, Florida was not the best team IMO. They were the team that when put into the situation did the best. I think if you ask anybody who watched all of the UCONN and all of the Florida games last year in the tourney I'd bet a fair majority of poeople would agree that UCONN was the better team. Even Billy Donovan said it after the Gators won the title (he's the Gator bball coach btw) when he said that if the tourney was played again it would turn out differently.

These tournies are not always perfect in their proving of a champion. Some teams simply match up well against others (IE the Jags playing the Colts over the last few years). But if one team beats another one week that does NOT make them the better team. They matched up better and performed better on ONE given day, that is the problem with a playoff system. If you have a system where a team has to continually play at its best week in and week out, that is a much better system of determining who truly is the better team. Think about it in terms of statistics, compare the NCAA tourney where you have to win 6 games in 3 weeks versus College football where you have to win 13 (sometimes 14) games over a 5 month season. The larger the sample size, the more information you have to look at as to determine who is the better team.

Playoffs do NOT always prove who is the best team, there are tons of extraneous variables that affect who wins those playoffs, lots of times the better team doesnt win.

Edit: Just thought of one thing... George Mason beat UCONN last year AND made it further in the tourney than them, does that mean they were the better team last year? or is it that they simply got lucky?

Or how about this, imagine if the Oklahoma/Oregon game earlier this year was a playoff game, since Oregon won the game that makes them the better team by the logic of whoever wins is better but we all know that Oklahoma should've won that game and most likely was the better team (even if they did lose to BSU).
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:45 pm

knapplc wrote:
CC wrote:

They lost 10 games, getting hot at the right time doesn't mean you are the best team IMO.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:47 pm

Dont feel too bad about your recent beatdown Domers at least the pollsters love you.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football