These taxi's really mooooooove on down the road. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

These taxi's really mooooooove on down the road.

Moderator: Football Moderators

These taxi's really mooooooove on down the road.

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 pm

:-b link

For the rest of this week, New Yorkers can take a taxi by the horns. Not just the honking kind, but also the kind that bulls sometime use to flip people bold enough to get on their backs.

Five normally yellow cabs, covered in fake brown and white cowhide and decorated with bull's horns on the roof, lined up outside Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, part of a promotion for a two-day Invitational Bull Riders event on Jan. 6-7.

"It's hard to get noticed in New York," said Gavin Harvey, a cable TV executive backing the event. Through Sunday, fares will be free for anyone willing to hail a cab that looks like a cow on wheels.

Adriano Morales, a 36-year-old Brazilian who has won the world bull-riding championship, and two other ex-champions are among 45 competitors in the event. "I've been doing this 18 years half of my life," he said between picture-takings with passersby.

In addition to Brazil, riders come from the United States, Mexico, Canada and Australia.

It will be Gotham's first experience with professional bull-riding, which is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States, according to Harvey, president of Versus, a cable channel that features various rugged sports including professional hockey and boxing.

"We like the tough stuff, the hard-hitting sports," he said. Professional bull riding, in which a competitor has to stay aboard at least eight seconds, "is as tough as it gets," he said.

Scores are based on how well both riders and bulls do their jobs. "The bulls win more often than the riders," he said.

Harvey said PBR has been compared to NASCAR racing, another heartland-born sport that has captured a large following across the United States. Whatever the similarities, they produce different kinds of exhaust.

Last edited by SeaWolf on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Aww, I thought they were going to mount the horns on the front bumper, not on the roof. :-t

Anyways, I'd have no problem hailing a cab that looked like a cow if it was free. Oh, and if I lived in NYC. Oh well.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Well, there is a marketing group somewhere that is creative. Kudos to them for coming up with something new that will get you noticed. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk