Favre - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Green Bay Packers

Favre

Moderator: Football Moderators

Favre

Postby Coltonvik » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 am

8-o Is Favre Returning Next Year and if so what will the team do to give him more wepons on offence?
Coltonvik Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:35 am

I think he's coming back next year. What I'd like to see the Packers do:

RB - Let Ahman Green go, and make a run for Michael Turner. We have as much cap room as anyone, and the guy is young with little wear. Plus he's the everydown back that Packer football revolves around.

TE - Tony Gonzalez. Whatever we have to do to land this guy. He's got a few good years left in him, much like Shannon Sharpe ended his career. When Favre and the Packers were really good, we had Mark Chmura and Jackie Harris. Ever since the Bubba Franks era started, Favre has never had a valuable presence in the middle of the field, which is part of the reason he forces so many balls into coverage outside the hashes.

DL - I'd like to see one more big body. Perhaps Vonnie Holiday returns to the Packers after we let him get away years ago.

Safety - Kenny Hamlin. Seattle and Green Bay have a history of acquiring one another's players. We need to upgrade at safety, and while Hamlin may not be the most trustworthy candidate, he's a big hitter and the type of presence that could really help out our standout corners.

Also, there are a ton of really good linebackers in free agency this year. Poppinga has been serviceable, but it would be nice to see us get a better coverage backer that could play opposite AJ Hawk and in the nickel package.

We're already the youngest team in the league, so I'm not sure we want to address any starting position in the draft. If we're going to make substantial improvement, we have to do it in free agency. Draft for depth.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:53 pm

we're young, but it isn't bad to stay young. A LB is probably the least of my concerns on defense. Cullen Jenkins has been great as of late, but we at least need a pick at DE in preparation for the loss of KGB (who is too expensive to cut). A DT alongside pickett would be good also. I like the Ken Hamlin idea, but I think Gonzalez will be really expensive and I don't want to mortgage the future for what isn't a super promising present. Also, Ahman Green is cheap, and if we can keep him let's do it. The Run Blocking this year was less than spectacular. Speaking of which, we could use a tackle so that we don't miss a beat of clifton/tauscher go down again.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:29 pm

As much as I would like to see GB make a big splash in the free agent market, if favre doesnt come back, I dont see the point in bringing in vets who only have a few years left anyway.

We havent seen much from rodgers, but what we have seen i think shows he isnt the future.

Personallly, I would love to see GB make a go at trading for David Carr. Then, draft a future stud TE in the first round. Would love to see Hamlin come in, god knows we need help at saftey. I would also love to see turner come to GB, but I dont think it will happen. If ahman can stay healthy, he is definatly worth keeping around.
And a big body on the D Line would be nice.

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Green Bay Packers