This Is Going Overboard to Catch Shoplifters - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

This Is Going Overboard to Catch Shoplifters

Moderator: Football Moderators

This Is Going Overboard to Catch Shoplifters

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:39 pm

WEST ALLIS, Wis. - An auto parts store manager says that, in hindsight, he probably should have exercised better judgment than to leap onto a getaway car carrying two shoplifters as they prepared to speed out of the store's parking lot.

But Darrin Malsack, 30, said Tuesday it all happened very quickly Friday after the men stole a portable DVD system from the Checker Auto Parts store and he clung to the roof of their speeding station wagon with one hand and dialed 911 on his cell phone with the other.

Malsack estimated the vehicle was moving at up to 50 mph as the driver swerved from side to side in a vain attempt to shake him loose.

"They were going too fast for me to jump off safely," he said. "So I just stayed on top and started pounding on the vehicle."

Malsack said he first went to the rear of the vehicle and took the number of the license plate hanging in the back window, but the vehicle then started backing up toward him.

"So I jumped on the station wagon," Malsack said. "I was on the roof as they left the parking lot."

Malsack said he held onto the luggage rack.

"I had a really good grip," he said. "There's no way I was going to fall off."

But he said that, after the car had traveled about seven blocks, he jumped off when it was halted at a stop sign.

Police said the license plate number Malsack gave them did not match the car, described as a silver 1991 Mercury Sable station wagon.

"We would discourage people from endangering their lives over a piece of property," Detective Lt. Christopher Novy said, adding that no one had been taken into custody.

OK, thieves, why would you stop at a traffic sign if you've already taken off from the store with the manager on top? And did they use a fake license plate or did he get the wrong number?

Weird dude.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tiki » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:26 pm

What idiots.....Lucky idiots! :-b
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Would've been a shame if he'd been seriously injured or killed over a portable DVD player. Not a smart move.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: This Is Going Overboard to Catch Shoplifters

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:41 pm

knapplc wrote:
OK, thieves, why would you stop at a traffic sign if you've already taken off from the store with the manager on top?

Maybe there was cross traffic. I used to live in West Allis BTW.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrblitz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Unless I owned the store, I wouldn't think at all about doing that.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 pm

mrblitz wrote:Unless I owned the store, I wouldn't think at all about doing that.

Thing is, you don't have to think about it. People do strange, sometimes courageous, things when the adrenalin is flowing. I would also imagine that the 'stop' wasn't probably a complete stop at the sign.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:44 pm

I think it was a stupid move over a damn portable TV. What if his clutching the car caused the driver to drive faster and more dangerous in turn causing an accident where someone was hurt and killed? Not very bright. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:47 pm

mrblitz wrote:Unless I owned the store, I wouldn't think at all about doing that.

I wouldn't think at all about doing that even if I WAS the store owner. A portable DVD player is no reason to risk my life or the life of others.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sandrock » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:51 pm

A friend of mine suspended for 2 weeks after wrestling a gun away from a crook that was trying to rob the bank where he works. I called him an idiot then, this story is just along the same lines.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:49 pm

Kind of funny, you obey traffic laws...with a guy pounding on the roof. :-?
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk