Those Austrians and Their Jokes - HAHAHA 8-0 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Those Austrians and Their Jokes - HAHAHA 8-0

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:49 am

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Oh yeah for sure. But after you got home, I mean that stupid little joke did cause it. I'm not saying I'd wanna break off the marriage(pissed prolly wasnt the right word either)but I'd a least be a little irritated. :-?
You’re about to get married, right? Next year or two? Think about it this way – do you want your Fiancé/Wife to be a boring, stodgy old fart or someone who has a sense of humor? I’d assume you’d want the latter. And, during your ceremony, shouldn’t that be a lighthearted celebration of your love, and a joyful, fun-filled time? So she cracks a joke. If she’d have told the one about the Priest, the Rabbi and the Cowboy who walked into the bar would that magistrate have kicked them out for that, too? Bottom line is that guy is a jerk and should be removed from his post.

At our wedding ceremony we were laughing and giggling the whole time. We changed my vows to promise to “keep her warm” because she has chronically cold hands and feet and she was always putting her ice-cold toes on me when we were snuggling. We probably looked like a couple of lunatics up there grinning so much, but I think everyone there knew we were both really happy to be there together and we really wanted to do this. So I think this guy should be punished for being an ass, not the wedding couple for making a joke.

I completely agree. My wife and my wedding was like that also. As a matter of fact, we actually got slightly reprimanded by a couple of the more religious people at our wedding because we were smiling during the sermon. I was like "whatever, thanks for coming". :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Karoz » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:50 am

Metroid wrote:Yeah thats stupid. I wonder if there is like some never used written rule where the official must halt the wedding if someone replies 'no'? And this guy was just being an anal retentive jerk off. :-?

I find it very surprising that someone would act this way, just because of a harmless joke.

Perhaps this particular JOP takes these ceremonies too seriously, and became offended when the Bride decided to make a joke of the whole occasion. Still, regardless of the reason, this guy should not be involved in these sorts of ceremonies if he can't take a joke. Usually, weddings are happy occasions, and jokes such as this are bound to come up. If I was in the Groom's situation, then I would have a few choice words for the JOP, you can be sure of that.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:00 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:Oh yeah for sure. But after you got home, I mean that stupid little joke did cause it. I'm not saying I'd wanna break off the marriage(pissed prolly wasnt the right word either)but I'd a least be a little irritated. :-?
You’re about to get married, right? Next year or two? Think about it this way – do you want your Fiancé/Wife to be a boring, stodgy old fart or someone who has a sense of humor? I’d assume you’d want the latter. And, during your ceremony, shouldn’t that be a lighthearted celebration of your love, and a joyful, fun-filled time? So she cracks a joke. If she’d have told the one about the Priest, the Rabbi and the Cowboy who walked into the bar would that magistrate have kicked them out for that, too? Bottom line is that guy is a jerk and should be removed from his post.

At our wedding ceremony we were laughing and giggling the whole time. We changed my vows to promise to “keep her warm” because she has chronically cold hands and feet and she was always putting her ice-cold toes on me when we were snuggling. We probably looked like a couple of lunatics up there grinning so much, but I think everyone there knew we were both really happy to be there together and we really wanted to do this. So I think this guy should be punished for being an ass, not the wedding couple for making a joke.

I completely agree. My wife and my wedding was like that also. As a matter of fact, we actually got slightly reprimanded by a couple of the more religious people at our wedding because we were smiling during the sermon. I was like "whatever, thanks for coming". :-b

All I can say is, you and I must have run into vastly different "religious people" during our lives. Most of your references to the behavior of “religious people” sound like people I would detest, and don’t reflect at all the kinds of “religious people” I am, my friends are, or anyone I grew up around at church or in my current church as an adult.

Maybe it’s based on the flavor of religion you are/were? Maybe it’s a regional thing? I don’t know, but I think you really got the raw end of the deal when it comes to religious influences in your life, and I really feel sorry for you. :-/
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:09 pm

OK yeah again I totally agree using the word 'pissed' in the first place wasnt the best thing to do. All I'm saying is when its all said and done, one little joke caused this. Yeah the guy was a jerk off but maybe the bride should have approached the official about her little 'joke' before hand. Yes I was my wedding to be light and fun and funny but I also want it to happen! I dont want my wife in tears, me wanting to beat the crap out of the official and my guests embarrassed for us. Does that make sense? Look I probably would never even say anything to her but in the back of my mine I'm sure I'd think' "Why did she have to say that?"

I dont know how marriage is performed in Austria, it sounds like its something performed at a courthouse where its very straight forward, by the book and serious maybe its not something that is joked about over there. You probably dont get to choose who marries you so you dont know their personality. I dunno. I do know something like this wont happen at my wedding because whoever marries us will be a friend not some official.

And for the record my girl is far from "boring, stodgy old fart." :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:30 pm

josebach wrote:I was under the impression that the actual ceremony was meaningless as far as the law is concerned and the only thing that matters is signing the marriage license?

That's what I thought too. It was for us, but it was a bit different for us. We are residents of Nebraska, so we were married with a JOP in a Nebraska courthouse. We had the ceremony in Iowa at the church my parents were married in, and it wouldn't have been honored in NE if we hadn't been officially married in NE. Something like that. It's been a while.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:34 pm

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:

All I can say is, you and I must have run into vastly different "religious people" during our lives. Most of your references to the behavior of “religious people” sound like people I would detest, and don’t reflect at all the kinds of “religious people” I am, my friends are, or anyone I grew up around at church or in my current church as an adult.

Maybe it’s based on the flavor of religion you are/were? Maybe it’s a regional thing? I don’t know, but I think you really got the raw end of the deal when it comes to religious influences in your life, and I really feel sorry for you. :-/

I have no idea what denomination they were, they were my wife's extended family. I can only assume that because they criticized us for smiling during the sermon that they were "more religious". How else would you have descibed it? Maybe they were just "jerks", who knows? Most of the religious people I met in the Presbyterian church my family went to were great people as were the people that went to the Baptist church that was part of my Christian high school.

As far as feeling sorry for me, please don't. Even when I was a Christian, I always had serious doubts. I always had to many questions that nobody could answer and after a while, listening to people tell me I have to have faith just wouldn't cut it. Gotta have faith! Gotta have faith! Gotta have faith! Why? If God does exist, he would never expect that answer to suffice. That's when I started going to atheist websites and researching the history of the Bible from an academic and not religious standpoint. The turning point was when I was able to finally control the fear (that Christianity wasn't real) and truly look at Christianity as an objective outsider and not as a Christian. To this day, I'm still proud of myself that I was able to overcome the fear and accomplish this. Looking at religion (not just Christianity)with these new found eyes was incredibly enlightening and I would never go back to the way I was. I feel so much better about myself now than I ever did before. I can finally look at myself in the mirror and openly say "I DON"T KNOW". So many people are incapable of saying that, I think.

Just to clarify. I in no way think I'm smarter than anyone else because I've come to this conclusion. There's tons of religious people that I know to be smarter than I am. I do, however, think I'm right... but doesn't everyone?

Time for lunch.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:59 pm

You have more issues with religion and Christianity than simple truth or untruth. Be honest with yourself about that. You continue to bring it up in conversations where you know many of us who profess Christianity will read it and react to it. You wouldn’t do that if you weren’t interested in continuing to talk about it. There’s obviously something about it that you want to get off your chest, but you’re either unaware of what that is or you’re unwilling to fully do it here or maybe you’re simply unaware that this situation exists.

Either way, regardless of what you feel, I’m fully willing to keep discussing it with you. Maybe you change your beliefs, maybe you don’t. But I clearly see that you are seeking answers to questions that you don’t have. Maybe it’s “What?” Maybe it’s “Why?” Maybe it’s “Why me?” Maybe it’s “When?”

I encourage you to keep asking those questions, and I further encourage you to ask yourself why you’re asking those questions.

After all, if we stop asking "Who, What, Where, Why, How, etc" then, in my opinion, our lives really aren't worth living.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:45 pm

it was a simple question that requires a simple answer. if you can't take one of the most important days in your life seriously you don't deserve it.

that dude really needs to lighten up. I mean just think how much $$$ was blown due to his ignorance. NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:17 pm

knapplc wrote:You have more issues with religion and Christianity than simple truth or untruth. Be honest with yourself about that. You continue to bring it up in conversations where you know many of us who profess Christianity will read it and react to it. You wouldn’t do that if you weren’t interested in continuing to talk about it. There’s obviously something about it that you want to get off your chest, but you’re either unaware of what that is or you’re unwilling to fully do it here or maybe you’re simply unaware that this situation exists.

Is there an hourly charge for this? ;-) :-)

I thought I did just get it off my chest. :-?

Yes, there's some residual bitterness left over for having been misled all those years, but in my heart I know the people who were doing the teaching not only believed what they taught, but were good people and acted under the best of intentions. The only real problem I have is not with Christianity itself, but with those Christians who claim to have a monopoly on what is and what isn't moral. For example, telling a young gay person that being gay is a sin and if they act on their instincts they're going to go to hell. This is unconscionable in my opinion and to be quite frank, it angers me. And yes, I was taught in my Baptist high school that practicing homosexuals were going to hell, so don't tell me that this isn't what some Christians believe.

knapplc wrote:Either way, regardless of what you feel, I’m fully willing to keep discussing it with you. Maybe you change your beliefs, maybe you don’t. But I clearly see that you are seeking answers to questions that you don’t have. Maybe it’s “What?” Maybe it’s “Why?” Maybe it’s “Why me?” Maybe it’s “When?”

I encourage you to keep asking those questions, and I further encourage you to ask yourself why you’re asking those questions.

After all, if we stop asking "Who, What, Where, Why, How, etc" then, in my opinion, our lives really aren't worth living.

Of course I ask questions. That was my entire point. "I DON"T KNOW", remember? BUT (and this is an important "BUT")... just because I don't know what an answer is, doesn't mean I can't eliminate something else from being the right answer. Kind of like a multiple choice test. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can eliminate option "A".

I appreciate you "encouraging me to ask questions". I encourage you to do the same. Maybe one day, "faith" will no longer be an acceptable answer to you either?

BTW, I'm glad you and I both are willing to talk so openly about this. It makes GT a much more interesting place. ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:22 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:You have more issues with religion and Christianity than simple truth or untruth. Be honest with yourself about that. You continue to bring it up in conversations where you know many of us who profess Christianity will read it and react to it. You wouldn’t do that if you weren’t interested in continuing to talk about it. There’s obviously something about it that you want to get off your chest, but you’re either unaware of what that is or you’re unwilling to fully do it here or maybe you’re simply unaware that this situation exists.

Is there an hourly charge for this? ;-) :-)

I thought I did just get it off my chest. :-?

Yes, there's some residual bitterness left over for having been misled all those years, but in my heart I know the people who were doing the teaching not only believed what they taught, but were good people and acted under the best of intentions. The only real problem I have is not with Christianity itself, but with those Christians who claim to have a monopoly on what is and what isn't moral. For example, telling a young gay person that being gay is a sin and if they act on their instincts they're going to go to hell. This is unconscionable in my opinion and to be quite frank, it angers me. And yes, I was taught in my Baptist high school that practicing homosexuals were going to hell, so don't tell me that this isn't what some Christians believe.

knapplc wrote:Either way, regardless of what you feel, I’m fully willing to keep discussing it with you. Maybe you change your beliefs, maybe you don’t. But I clearly see that you are seeking answers to questions that you don’t have. Maybe it’s “What?” Maybe it’s “Why?” Maybe it’s “Why me?” Maybe it’s “When?”

Of course I ask questions. That was my entire point. "I DON"T KNOW", remember? BUT (and this is an important "BUT")... just because I don't know what an answer is, doesn't mean I can't eliminate something else from being the right answer. Kind of like a multiple choice test. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I can eliminate option "A".

I appreciate you "encouraging me to ask questions". I encourage you to do the same. Maybe one day, "faith" will no longer be an acceptable answer to you either?

BTW, I'm glad you and I both are willing to talk so openly about this. It makes GT a much more interesting place. ;-D

too bad it's always about gays and religon, try some new topics for a change
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk