Return to General Talk

Anti Virus Programs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:43 pm

Munboy wrote:All free stuff...

CCleaner is good for getting rid of all the clutter Windows collects
AVG Anti-virus does the best job for a FREE anti-virus
AVG Anti-Spyware does a great job of finding malware like worms and backdoors
Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy - it sucks to have 2 programs that do the same thing, but one program will sometimes catch something other program didn't, or avg anti-spyware didnt.
Zone Alarm the best free firewall available.

CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

AVG
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Ad Aware
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Per ... l&tag=top5

Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/c ... wnload.jsp

Add to that Windows Defender, jsut because it blocks the ad-ware and spy-ware REAL TIME. Something that AdAware and Spybots free versions don't do. ;-D

But yes, Sox, these are the BEST way to go IMO. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i used to use Norton but it's such a system hog...made the switch to TrendMicro internet security...on sale at Best Buy for $25 this week

I haven't used Norton for a few years but it always wanted to take over every aspect of my computer, whether I wanted it to or not.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:07 pm

In CCleaner, one of the options you can Scan for Issues then it can fix the issues. What exactly are these "issues"?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:33 pm

sox 06 wrote:In CCleaner, one of the options you can Scan for Issues then it can fix the issues. What exactly are these "issues"?

Looks like a number of different things. Like missing shared DLLs which, if i'm not mistaken, help run programs on windows. Problems with applications and fonts..most likely from deleting programs instead of uninstalling, or programs with poor uninstallers that leave stuff behind. Start ups that don't start up, for one reason or another...along with other stuff.

Running this should help speed up your computer a bit, but make sure when it asks you if you wnt to back up your registry, you say yes! Running the fix will mess with your registry which can be bad business if you mess with the wrong thing.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:41 pm

Munboy wrote:
sox 06 wrote:In CCleaner, one of the options you can Scan for Issues then it can fix the issues. What exactly are these "issues"?

Looks like a number of different things. Like missing shared DLLs which, if i'm not mistaken, help run programs on windows. Problems with applications and fonts..most likely from deleting programs instead of uninstalling, or programs with poor uninstallers that leave stuff behind. Start ups that don't start up, for one reason or another...along with other stuff.

Running this should help speed up your computer a bit, but make sure when it asks you if you wnt to back up your registry, you say yes! Running the fix will mess with your registry which can be bad business if you mess with the wrong thing.

I always back up the registry. I just wasn't sure what exactly it fixed. Thanks. ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:22 pm

I got the new Yahoo! Toolbar with the Norton Anti Virus sofware. The old Yahoo! Anti Spy wasn't updating anymore and I had to upgrade for the popup blocker to work. I like the ability to do a full or quick scan with Norton and it picked up 45 defective files on my computer. But my computer seems to be running a bit slower now with the new toolbar installed. Anyone else have the Yahoo! Toolbar with Norton Anit Virus? Another question, what is the difference between Quarantine-ing a file and removing it? Which is the better option?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk