Tragedy Strikes USC Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Tragedy Strikes USC Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tragedy Strikes USC Football

Postby Sandrock » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Mario Danelo, a kicker for the USC football team, was found dead Saturday in San Pedro, Calif.

Danelo's body was found at the bottom of White Point Cliff in San Pedro, according for a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department. Police did not release further details.

Danelo, a redshirt junior, walked on with the Trojans in 2003 and earned a scholarship in 2005, according to the USC athletic department's Web site.

He was 15-for-16 on field goals this season and made 44 of 48 PATs, leading the team in scoring with 89 points.

Danelo is the son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Sad to hear. RIP.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Horrible to hear...unimaginable what he and his family must be going through right now.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:19 pm

Very sad. Just saw him in the Rose Bowl a week ago.

San Pedro has some nasty cliffs. I know right where that is. I'm curious whether he slipped or was murdered.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Indys_time » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:21 pm

That sucks for both him and USC. RIP :,-(
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby confused_jake » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:35 pm

Wow this is so tragic. He was a great kicker and from what i hear, an amazing person.

On a side note, its scary how many deaths have been in football this past year: brian pata, darrent williams, mario danelo,randy walker
confused_jake
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:07 pm

Just awful. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Very sad. Just saw him in the Rose Bowl a week ago.

San Pedro has some nasty cliffs. I know right where that is. I'm curious whether he slipped or was murdered.

Yeah...or was it suicide?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:33 pm

Very sad, i just saw this. I want to see what the investigation says
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 pm

More from the L.A. Times:
Police: USC kicker's death likely accident or suicide
From Associated Press
12:24 PM PST, January 7, 2007

Foul play probably was not a factor in the death of USC kicker Mario Danelo, whose body was found about 120 feet down a rocky cliff in San Pedro, police said today.

"It was fairly apparent that this was either an accident or suicide," said LAPD Lt. Paul Vernon.

Danelo's brother said today that "it was an unfortunate accident."

"He was a good kid," Joey Danelo said during a phone interview with The Associated Press. "There was not a person I know that didn't like him."

Investigators were examining evidence recovered after Danelo's body was found Saturday afternoon near Point Fermin lighthouse.

While police have not completely ruled out foul play, Vernon said "there didn't appear to be a crime involved." An autopsy could be performed as early as Monday, coroner's officials said.

Someone flying a remote-control airplane noticed something at the bottom of the cliff Saturday and a friend hiked down to the beach and discovered the body, police officials said.

Investigators were looking into whether Danelo was out with friends Friday night. He was last seen around midnight, authorities said.

A makeshift memorial was placed near the top of the steep cliff where Danelo fell. A flag bearing the USC logo was spread out, surrounded by flowers and candles and a message reading "Rest in Peace Danelo" spraypainted on the ground.

Nearby, a sign warned: "Danger Do Not Enter Unstable and Slippery Surfaces Steep Drops."

Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey said investigators did not find a surf board, scuba-diving tanks or anything else to indicate Danelo might have been down there for any of the recreational activities common to the area.

Humphrey said over the years a handful of people had fallen from the cliff.

"It's entirely possible that he fell," Humphrey said.

Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18.

He only missed two field goals in his career, going 26-for-28, and was 127-of-134 on extra points. In 2005, he set NCAA single-season records with 83 extra points and 86 attempts.

Speaking on behalf of Trojans Coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: "We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character.

"He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day."

USC linebacker Dallas Sartz said Danelo would be remembered for his upbeat personality and dependable kicking.

"I just remember Mario was the guy who always had a smile on his face and would always cheer you up," said Sartz, a team captain.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to College Football