Experimenting with new Draft Styles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Experimenting with new Draft Styles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Experimenting with new Draft Styles

Postby RWLongy4 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:55 pm

I've been playing fantasy football for quite a few years but I really haven't experimented with draft styles other than the traditional snake draft order. I've heard good things about an auction style draft and I feel like it could make for a fun activity to do in person with a bunch of buddies for my league next year.

For those of you more experienced with the style, I was wondering are auction style drafts worth trying? If so what are some essential rules/guidelines that go well with an auction style draft? Any other tips?
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Experimenting with new Draft Styles

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:I've been playing fantasy football for quite a few years but I really haven't experimented with draft styles other than the traditional snake draft order. I've heard good things about an auction style draft and I feel like it could make for a fun activity to do in person with a bunch of buddies for my league next year.

For those of you more experienced with the style, I was wondering are auction style drafts worth trying? If so what are some essential rules/guidelines that go well with an auction style draft? Any other tips?

I participated in my first auctions here at the cafe this year. I have not have a live auction, but would like to try it. It is a different mentallity going into the draft and trying to make sure you spend the right amount for the initial players you draft and then there is the nomination process, do you nominate a player you want or a player that people will spend a lot on that you don't care for. Many factors to consider.

I enjoyed my first crack at it, I think it will take a little time in order to get good at it. Especially compared to a snake style draft.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby The Balanced Man » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:18 pm

This was my first year with auction as well. I think it is harder to get steals in an auction, and prefer regular drafting. However, I would definetly suggest trying auctions.

I would look through Cafe Leagues here at the Cafe and see how the ones with Auctions set it up.

I know the league I commish, the Virtual GM League (link in my sig) not only does a combination of drafting, auctioning, and contracts. There is quite an extensive constitution in the forum.
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 011472 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm a big fan of auctions. We switched over in my money league a few years ago and I can't imagine ever going back to a snake draft for a league I'm serious about. In my opinion, luck is too much of a factor in the draft as order of selection plays a big role. In an auction, everyone's on equal footing. If you're willing put in the time to seriously prepare, go with the auction.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:06 am

great thanks guys, I've been looking through the rules/styles of some different auction leagues and I think I'll be spending the off season putting together a league ;-D
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sLim » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:10 pm

once u go auction...u dont want to go back...
sLim
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack ChampionLucky Ladders Champion

Postby negativism » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:36 am

I've never been in an auction before but like 011472
said luck does play a part with a snake draft.

Thats one reason i decided to go with an auction format for a $ league in 2k7.

The strategy planning and level of participation required in an auction will more than likey draw more serious fantasy players to a league as well.

Don't mean to highjack a thread here but speaking of auctions has anyone here used fantasy auctioneer program? It is like a reg live draft but in auction format.
negativism
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:17 pm

sLim wrote:once u go auction...u dont want to go back...

Ain't dat da truf
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:15 pm

I did one auction last year, and I honestly didn't like it too much, probably because I got too attached to players and ended up overpaying for them. I'll get another taste of some auction in the Virtual GM League this year. Hopefully that one will go better.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:48 pm

I think to have a successful auction draft, and by successful I mean have some sort of parity between teams, you need to have the owners participating in the auction to have some sort of similar experience and knowledge of fantasy football. In an auction league, you will see inexperience and lack of knowledge magnified much more so than you would in a normal snake type draft because it takes significantly more planning and calculated risks. I like auction drafts but normally I find they only work when at least most of the league is starting on a similar playing field.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner