Final AP Rankings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Final AP Rankings

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Jimboozie wrote:I think Boise State should be #1 for their undefeated season and more importantly, the dramatic fashion in which they beat Oklahoma. Style points, baby!

I care not one whit about Boise State, but I hope that their season is just one more nail in the coffin of the BCS. Much as I was rooting for Oklahoma, I wasn't sorry at all that Boise State won that game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:25 pm

knapplc wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:I think Boise State should be #1 for their undefeated season and more importantly, the dramatic fashion in which they beat Oklahoma. Style points, baby!

I care not one whit about Boise State, but I hope that their season is just one more nail in the coffin of the BCS. Much as I was rooting for Oklahoma, I wasn't sorry at all that Boise State won that game.

Boise St winning only strengthened the BCS. It proved that the changes they made last season with the other 5 conferences getting a bid if they finish in the top 12 or whatever was the correct change to make. BSU winning helps the BCS and shows that they are making the correct changes to the system.

The system will not change until 2010 because of the BCS' $320 million contract with FOX that they just signed last year.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:24 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Boise St winning only strengthened the BCS. It proved that the changes they made last season with the other 5 conferences getting a bid if they finish in the top 12 or whatever was the correct change to make. BSU winning helps the BCS and shows that they are making the correct changes to the system.

The system will not change until 2010 because of the BCS' $320 million contract with FOX that they just signed last year.

Oh, god still 3 more years of this crap?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Oh, god still 3 more years of this crap?

Probably longer IMO. Until you get one of the BIG schools who are on the board get totally shafted there will not be any move to a playoff.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:03 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I'm sure that's how the BCS people see it, but that's not how the majority of college football fans see it. What they see is a 13-0 team that never, ever had a shot at winning the title, and they don't like it. Just letting them in the door isn't enough - people want Boise St. and teams like it to have a chance to get on the stage.

It's gaining momentum in newspapers, on TV and on talk radio. BSU's win is fueling that fire even more. It still may not happen, but I think it's more of a possibility today with the Boise St. win than it would have been had they lost.

Newspapers really like having cinderella stories to sell to their readers. Imagine if Boise State had won two games in a tournament and had made it to the National Championship game? They'd be drooling buckets. Words have power, and the right people are talking.

I just hope they have an impact.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:57 pm

knapplc wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I'm sure that's how the BCS people see it, but that's not how the majority of college football fans see it. What they see is a 13-0 team that never, ever had a shot at winning the title, and they don't like it. Just letting them in the door isn't enough - people want Boise St. and teams like it to have a chance to get on the stage.

It's gaining momentum in newspapers, on TV and on talk radio. BSU's win is fueling that fire even more. It still may not happen, but I think it's more of a possibility today with the Boise St. win than it would have been had they lost.

Newspapers really like having cinderella stories to sell to their readers. Imagine if Boise State had won two games in a tournament and had made it to the National Championship game? They'd be drooling buckets. Words have power, and the right people are talking.

I wonder where this arguement was back when BYU won the NC in '84 or whatever year it was.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:How did Boise St. get a vote?

I thought voters were required to put the winner of the national championship game at #1, so shouldn't Florida have been unanimous?

The BCS voters (coaches and harris polls) have to vote the BCS Championship Game winner #1. The writers (AP) are no longer part of the BCS and can vote their choice.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:

I dont know if your right or wrong about most college football fans wanting BSU to get a crack at the title. But I find it interesting that hardly any voters saw fit to put them in their top2 even after they beat OU. I hate to side with the voters, but I for one dont think they were unfairly shafted or should have been considered a top2 team prior to the bowls.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:48 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:

I dont know if your right or wrong about most college football fans wanting BSU to get a crack at the title. But I find it interesting that hardly any voters saw fit to put them in their top2 even after they beat OU. I hate to side with the voters, but I for one dont think they were unfairly shafted or should have been considered a top2 team prior to the bowls.

I don't think it's even about whether Boise were good enough to beat X anymore. It's a matter of principle. BSU did absolutely everything within their power, ie had a perfect season, and still didn't get a shot. Since there was no more they could have done, this raises the question: Why are the mid-major conferences even in Division I-A, if no matter what they do their champions will never get a shot at the NC?

Either the standard of mid-major football is high enough that going undefeated in a non-BCS conference when there is only one undefeated BCS school is enough to earn you a title shot, or they should cease the pretence that these schools are in the same division, and label it Division 1-A* or something.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:39 am

BritSox wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

I don't think it's even about whether Boise were good enough to beat X anymore. It's a matter of principle. BSU did absolutely everything within their power, ie had a perfect season, and still didn't get a shot. Since there was no more they could have done, this raises the question: Why are the mid-major conferences even in Division I-A, if no matter what they do their champions will never get a shot at the NC?

Either the standard of mid-major football is high enough that going undefeated in a non-BCS conference when there is only one undefeated BCS school is enough to earn you a title shot, or they should cease the pretence that these schools are in the same division, and label it Division 1-A* or something.

Thats a great point. Actually the smaller schools wouldnt go for this as they would see it has devaluing what they have. I still think my point in the playoff thread rings true though. If not losing a game is all that matters, I hope NU scheds the weakest ooc teams they can find. Dont want to ruin the season to early. :-?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to College Football