State of the Tight Ends - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

State of the Tight Ends

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby biju » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:34 am

While I was a proponent of taking Winslow in 2006 because of his draft average, I'm suprised by the #3 spot here. I'm not sure if he's worth such a high draft pick--that's got to be a 5-6 rounder in a 12 team league.

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:35 am

biju wrote:While I was a proponent of taking Winslow in 2006 because of his draft average, I'm suprised by the #3 spot here. I'm not sure if he's worth such a high draft pick--that's got to be a 5-6 rounder in a 12 team league.

Winslow's #3 ranking is absolutely justified. His 89 catches were something like 3rd most ever for a tight end. In point-per-reception leagues, that's pure gold. He was also third in yardage for TEs with 875 yards.

I'm willing to bet that he still flies under the radar next year and that it won't take a 5th or 6th round pick to acquire him. In our 2007 Extremely Early Mock Draft, Winslow was selected with the 7.12 pick. I also predict that with a healthy offensive line and some consistent QB play, Winslow at a minimum doubles his TD total next season. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Drew_70 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:28 am

The Lung wrote:
biju wrote:While I was a proponent of taking Winslow in 2006 because of his draft average, I'm suprised by the #3 spot here. I'm not sure if he's worth such a high draft pick--that's got to be a 5-6 rounder in a 12 team league.

Winslow's #3 ranking is absolutely justified. His 89 catches were something like 3rd most ever for a tight end. In point-per-reception leagues, that's pure gold. He was also third in yardage for TEs with 875 yards.

I'm willing to bet that he still flies under the radar next year and that it won't take a 5th or 6th round pick to acquire him. In our 2007 Extremely Early Mock Draft, Winslow was selected with the 7.12 pick. I also predict that with a healthy offensive line and some consistent QB play, Winslow at a minimum doubles his TD total next season. ;-D

Can you post the 2007 Draft results?
Drew_70
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Drew_70 wrote:Can you post the 2007 Draft results?

You can feel free to check them out here: ;-D

2007 Extremely Early Mock Drafted Players
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:43 pm

Heap sure was frustrating this year. Anyone see anything out of Joe Klopfenstein on the Rams next year? I think that without Mad Mike we might see a little production out of the TE position for once. This article did omit the biggest TE story for some: Marques Colston. Now that's a TE sleeper. Remember when Gates was a sleeper?
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:19 pm

skibrett15 wrote: This article did omit the biggest TE story for some: Marques Colston. Now that's a TE sleeper. Remember when Gates was a sleeper?

This article was written by Fanball editors, where Colston likely did not have TE eligibility in 2006. In fact, besides Yahoo, I don't think Colston had TE eligibility in any of the major fantasy providers.
  • cbs.sportsline.com
  • ESPN
  • AOL
  • Antsports
  • Myfantasyleague.com
  • etc.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Postby Timbathia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:09 pm

I think I may take a wait and see approach with Scheffler for next season. It seems more than likely that the Broncos will address running back before next season, and hopefully that means they will run the ball more effectively than they did this season. Also expect that Cutler will spend a lot of time working with Javon this off-season. Javon is the big-time player on this offense, and getting him the ball as much as possible will be crucial to the sucess of the Broncos. Add in Brandon Marshall, who if he progresses along with his potential may become a nice target when Walker is constantly double-teamed.

Scheffler will still be a great check-down target, but the really effective fantasy TE situations tend to occur when the TE is the best receiver on the team (Gates, Gonzo, Heap), and as good as the repoire Cutler has with Scheffler, there are still two better receivers than him in Denver. The Broncos love to use their TE talk is partly due to Sharpe, and he was pretty much the best receiver on the team at the time.

I am sceptical that you will be able to rely on Scheff putting up good, regular numbers for next season.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bobbing_headz » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Timbathia wrote:I think I may take a wait and see approach with Scheffler for next season. It seems more than likely that the Broncos will address running back before next season, and hopefully that means they will run the ball more effectively than they did this season. Also expect that Cutler will spend a lot of time working with Javon this off-season. Javon is the big-time player on this offense, and getting him the ball as much as possible will be crucial to the sucess of the Broncos. Add in Brandon Marshall, who if he progresses along with his potential may become a nice target when Walker is constantly double-teamed.

Scheffler will still be a great check-down target, but the really effective fantasy TE situations tend to occur when the TE is the best receiver on the team (Gates, Gonzo, Heap), and as good as the repoire Cutler has with Scheffler, there are still two better receivers than him in Denver. The Broncos love to use their TE talk is partly due to Sharpe, and he was pretty much the best receiver on the team at the time.

I am sceptical that you will be able to rely on Scheff putting up good, regular numbers for next season.

I agree almost completely with you. I keep telling people Scheffler is way overrated. Cutler was a rookie this year and rookies like to throw to the check-down way more. Javon is easily his favorite target and I'm thinking if Smith stays around or even someone like Kircus or Marshall. Denver really isn't a team that heavily targets the TE and haven't been since Sharpe. Scheffler is no Shannon Sharpe and he really isn't a spectacular player.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:
Timbathia wrote:I think I may take a wait and see approach with Scheffler for next season. It seems more than likely that the Broncos will address running back before next season, and hopefully that means they will run the ball more effectively than they did this season. Also expect that Cutler will spend a lot of time working with Javon this off-season. Javon is the big-time player on this offense, and getting him the ball as much as possible will be crucial to the sucess of the Broncos. Add in Brandon Marshall, who if he progresses along with his potential may become a nice target when Walker is constantly double-teamed.

I agree almost completely with you. I keep telling people Scheffler is way overrated. Cutler was a rookie this year and rookies like to throw to the check-down way more. Javon is easily his favorite target and I'm thinking if Smith stays around or even someone like Kircus or Marshall. Denver really isn't a team that heavily targets the TE and haven't been since Sharpe. Scheffler is no Shannon Sharpe and he really isn't a spectacular player.

If he's slated as a top 5 tight end then I agree he's overrated, but not at #7 or #8, which is typically a late-round pick. Scheffler was recently drafted with the 11.02 pick in our Extremely Early Mock at the Cafe. I'm not too upset if an eleventh round pick doesn't pan out like I thought it would.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Postby MentalPowerHouse » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:40 pm

Even if he pans out his top end isn't high enough to warrant much hype.
MentalPowerHouse
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk