SI predictions for '07 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

SI predictions for '07

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:58 pm

dem warriors wrote:
Metroid wrote:
eman wrote:What about Cal???? Their only real offensive loss is Lynch, and Forsett has already proven he is more than ready to take over the role as a dominant RB. Their defenseive is losing a few starters, but not enough to make much of an impact IMO, and I think next year USC and Cal will both be top 5 teams with the rest of the Pac10 left behind in their tracks.

I beg to differ. :-b

I dont beg to differ...Cal and USC are superior to the rest of the Pac-10 when they are rollin...my bears offense will be sick...defense is taking a hit, but they were never a defensive juggernaut anyway...

Cal shouldn't even be in the same sentence as USC. In the last five years they're 10-3, 8-4, 10-2, 8-6, and 7-5. Including a 29-14 record in the Pac-10. I wouldn't call yourself superior to the rest of the conference when you barely win two out of three games yearly. That record also includes a 1-4 mark against USC in the last five years. Also in that timespan they have yet to win a PAC-10 title. They've finished 2nd, 4th, 2nd, 4th, and 6th respectively. Sure they have only finished in the lower half of the conference once but when you have a 10 team conference and you're average finish in between 3rd and 4th in the conference I wouldn't exactly call yourself a dominant team. USC is THE class of the conference and until somebody else wins the Pac-10 (which hasn't happened in the last five years) I won't hear otherwise.

Sure Cal has some returning players but it's hard to discount a team returning its starting QB, RB, and has 5-star WR's to fill in for its losses, not to mention a very underrated TE in Fred Davis who will be used more next year. Look for USC to repeat as Pac-10 champions but I think their schedule is too tough to make it to the National Championship game. They have to travel to Nebraska, Notre Dame, Cal, and Oregon. I don't see them being able to have one-loss and make it into the BCS NC Game being in the Pac-10, I think this year was just a fluke. I think if a one-loss team makes the BCS NC Game it will come from the SEC or Big 10, the conferences that the media has the most respect for year in and year out.

As far as next year's NC game, I'll go ahead and lock WVU in because I see them going undefeated next year with the mass exodus at Louis (Bush, Petrino, and likely Brohm) and Rutgers returning to form (altho realistically they don't loss that much but I think that big hoss a fullback Brian Leonard will really hurt to lose). WVU has two heisman canidates next year in Pat White and Steve Slaton who will haunt Big-East defensive coordinator's dreams. Then I'm going with a one-loss Michigan team to meet them in the NC game. Michigan has a solid team but has to play @ Wisconsin and Ohio State, plus home out of conference games against Oregon and Notre Dame. That paired with the rest of the Big-10 games seems to be too much to make it through unscathed.

I don't see 2007 as a year that will have a dominant team like this year's OSU (until the NC game at least), but wow will there be some talent and some competition for the Heisman. Think about all of the contenders, at QB there's John David Booty, Erik Ainge, Chad Henne, Pat White and Colt McCoy. Then at RB there's Ray Rice, Darren McFadden, Steve Slaton, Mike Hart, and PJ Hill. But we were really spoiled with the 2006 WR class in college ball and I don't see anybody being a contender for the 2007 Heisman at that position. I'd put my money on Pat White taking the Heisman.

Cliffs: Michigan/WVU in the National Title Game Pat White wins the Heisman. Anybody else?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:34 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Did I see right, does Iowa not play Michigan or OSU again next year?

Yup, Mich and OSU are off the schedule for '07 and '08!

2007 OUTLOOK
Iowa will open its 2007 season vs. Northern Illinois at Soldier Field
on Sept. 1. Six of the Hawkeyes’ 12 opponents played in bowl games
in 2006 (Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State,
Purdue and Minnesota). Iowa will play six home games in Kinnick Stadium
(Syracuse, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota and Western
Michigan). The Hawkeyes will have a new Big Ten slate, as Michigan
and Ohio State come off their schedule the next two seasons

Yeesh, get with the program already and add that conference championship Big 10. At this point I care as much about who wins the Big 10 as I do who wins the Sun Belt. What a mess.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:38 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Cliffs: Michigan/WVU in the National Title Game Pat White wins the Heisman. Anybody else?

Uhoh. Is it wrong that I agree on your picks for the NC game and Heisman winner? I mean, you do support Meyer after all. :-b I think WVU is in the NC for sure since as you said I think theyll be undefeated. Id say its a tossup between Mich and USC for the other spot though. Both teams could very easily go undefeated next year (Not really true though, USC has a killer schedule but Im being optimistic). Either way, I think White gets the Heisman narrowly over McFadden, Boty, and Hart.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:25 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Did I see right, does Iowa not play Michigan or OSU again next year?

2007 OUTLOOK

Nice for Iowa, who did they replace them with??

They will be playing Penn State and Michigan State instead.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Indys_time » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:46 pm

stomperrob wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

2007 OUTLOOK

Nice for Iowa, who did they replace them with??

They will be playing Penn State and Michigan State instead.

Nice for Iowa. That means well for a kid for my school who will be a sophmore next year who plays on the team. Iowa could be BCS bound. maybe ;-7
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:27 pm

eman wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

Uhoh. Is it wrong that I agree on your picks for the NC game and Heisman winner? I mean, you do support Meyer after all. :-b I think WVU is in the NC for sure since as you said I think theyll be undefeated. Id say its a tossup between Mich and USC for the other spot though. Both teams could very easily go undefeated next year (Not really true though, USC has a killer schedule but Im being optimistic). Either way, I think White gets the Heisman narrowly over McFadden, Boty, and Hart.

Yeah but you support him too, don't ya? I mean you do have a Gator sig and all.

Oh wait, wait...that's right...

;) :-b
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby CC » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:19 am

skibrett15 wrote:
CC wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:Thank you for not putting Notre Dame up there. All their fans seem to be so excited that this Jimmy Clawsen guy is coming, apparently hes like the next LeBron of the NFL or something...

Considering there are people who believe Brantley and/or Mallett are better and it is safe to say he is not the Lebron of football. He plays on a loaded team against weak competition and has two other top 100 players on offense with him. He is good and definitely a 5 star and top 5-10 player, but he is not a "ten year prospect" like some have said.

Oh and he is only 6'1.5 and he is 19 years old and still in highschool. He will be a 20 year old freshman.

That's a factor if he gets drafted in the NFL, but not for the college game. Unless you're insinuating that he's dumb because he's 19 and in high school. I'm down with that.

It was more in regard to that fact that he isn't going to be doing any growing and it likely limits his potential in comparison to some of the other guys.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football