Drug Seminar in School Today - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Drug Seminar in School Today

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:52 pm

Illinois has the D.A.R.E. program that starts in 3rd grade I think. May even be earlier than that nowadays. Basically, once a week, a local police officer would come to class and talk about various stuff. Most of the stuff when I was in elementary school dealt with how to say no when an older friend/neighbor asks if you want to try something.

Odd thing about the program though, it didn't go past 6th grade. After that, it was the mandatory health classes that dealt with drugs in junior high and high school. Although when I was in high school, they didn't show us real drugs, only pictures.

In college, all freshmen had to go through rape orientation. Basically, they split the guys and gals up, gave the gals whistles and and told them a bunch of encouraging stuff (like the best way to kick a guy in the nuts), while they told the guys all the bad stuff that will happen if they get caught in such an act. Then they brought the gals back in with the guys and they all gave us the evil-eye and started going nuts with their whistles.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby niblet » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:59 pm

niblet wrote:Yesterday I had to go to the auditorium at my school because some big bald British guy was giving a speech. He talked about how he was in some gang/mafia thing and about all the drugs he took. He killed someone with some brass knuckles. Apparently he had a conversion. He has a book out about it all-- not sure what it's called or what his name was.

I found out his name: John Pridmore

niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Drug Seminar in School Today

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:17 am

sox 06 wrote:Today in my health class, some police detectives came in to do a presentation on drugs and alcohol. They had a huge case with all kinds of drugs such as crack, weed, pot and all kinds of other stuff. The guy said they had something like $6500 in pot. 8-o The guys passed all of the drugs around in bags so we could all look at them. Anyone else have something like this? It was cool and informative to all of the side affects of certain drugs.

Was it Nate Newton's? 8-o
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:03 am

We had one of these in my school waaaay back in the day. It was by a guy named David Toma. Still remember the name. He was a cop and had some pretty crappy stories to tell about what he'd seen - kids messed up, kids OD'd and dying on the scene of the accident but still talking before they went, stuff like that. Even as a kid I thought he over-dramatised it. I knew he was trying to do us some good with his talk, but it just hit me the wrong way.

I smoked a "bit" of pot in high school, and really nothing this guy said was going to make me stop. In that regard I see where some other guys here are coming from here today when us old farts tell them to stop. Doesn't mean that I'm going to stop giving advice, but it may mean that my advice is wasted.

http://www.davidtoma.com/

He even has a website. Hah. Funny that I remember that after all this time. :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:21 am

knapplc wrote:We had one of these in my school waaaay back in the day. He was a cop and had some pretty crappy stories to tell about what he'd seen - kids messed up, kids OD'd and dying on the scene of the accident but still talking before they went, stuff like that. Even as a kid I thought he over-dramatised it. I knew he was trying to do us some good with his talk, but it just hit me the wrong way.

What was it knapplc - a brontosaurus-bus pileup?
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:33 am

lmcjaho wrote:
knapplc wrote:We had one of these in my school waaaay back in the day. He was a cop and had some pretty crappy stories to tell about what he'd seen - kids messed up, kids OD'd and dying on the scene of the accident but still talking before they went, stuff like that. Even as a kid I thought he over-dramatised it. I knew he was trying to do us some good with his talk, but it just hit me the wrong way.

I'm not THAT old. :-b

Although I think I'm in the top two or three oldest "regular" posters here now. That's kind of weird. :*)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:36 am

knapplc wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:

I'm not THAT old. :-b

Although I think I'm in the top two or three oldest "regular" posters here now. That's kind of weird. :*)

Yeah, I'm 33 and don't see myself staying here forever. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, though.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 pm

the DARE officer in the town I grew up in got busted for posession of marijuana. It was actually surprising that it took him so long to get busted, because everyone in town knew that he he caught you with weed he would confiscate it, but not cite you. He was an a-hole anyway.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:15 pm

knapplc wrote:We had one of these in my school waaaay back in the day. It was by a guy named David Toma. Still remember the name. He was a cop and had some pretty crappy stories to tell about what he'd seen - kids messed up, kids OD'd and dying on the scene of the accident but still talking before they went, stuff like that. Even as a kid I thought he over-dramatised it. I knew he was trying to do us some good with his talk, but it just hit me the wrong way.

I smoked a "bit" of pot in high school, and really nothing this guy said was going to make me stop. In that regard I see where some other guys here are coming from here today when us old farts tell them to stop. Doesn't mean that I'm going to stop giving advice, but it may mean that my advice is wasted.

http://www.davidtoma.com/

He even has a website. Hah. Funny that I remember that after all this time. :-b

I remember watching the old TV series "Toma" and I read his biography many years ago and still have it.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Maine also has the DARE program but I've only seen about one or two presentations back in elementary school and middle school. The guy who did the presentation during my class said he wasn't going to tell us not to do drugs or drink, but rather what will happen if we do do them (both body-wise and legally).
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk