Drug Seminar in School Today - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Drug Seminar in School Today

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:17 pm

Yeah I graduated from D.A.R.E. way back in fifth grade. I learned a lot at the time, but from my past experience I am not sure it worked to well. I mean it taught me more to know what drugs to do and which ones to stay away from more than anything else.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:23 pm

Another proud D.A.R.E alum here. I agree with BGBootha, I think the program's heart is in the right place, but it seemingly opened my eyes more to what drugs were out on the market rather than to why I should avoid them. 5th grade also seems a bit early to talk to kids about drugs, there weren't many users straight out of elementary school, and most failed to have real access to them until high school.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:46 pm

stomperrob wrote:
knapplc wrote:We had one of these in my school waaaay back in the day. It was by a guy named David Toma. Still remember the name. He was a cop and had some pretty crappy stories to tell about what he'd seen - kids messed up, kids OD'd and dying on the scene of the accident but still talking before they went, stuff like that. Even as a kid I thought he over-dramatised it. I knew he was trying to do us some good with his talk, but it just hit me the wrong way.

I smoked a "bit" of pot in high school, and really nothing this guy said was going to make me stop. In that regard I see where some other guys here are coming from here today when us old farts tell them to stop. Doesn't mean that I'm going to stop giving advice, but it may mean that my advice is wasted.

http://www.davidtoma.com/

He even has a website. Hah. Funny that I remember that after all this time. :-b

I remember watching the old TV series "Toma" and I read his biography many years ago and still have it.

I had no idea there was a series. How long ago? The 70s? Early 80s?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:53 am

I had D.A.R.E and Officer Friendsly all anti-drug and other programs...D.A.R.E tought me the cold sholder and how to do drugs, not really to stay off them. Thatwas 3rdto 5th grade.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:29 am

Tiki wrote:I had D.A.R.E and Officer Friendsly all anti-drug and other programs...D.A.R.E tought me the cold sholder and how to do drugs, not really to stay off them. Thatwas 3rdto 5th grade.

I remeber Officer Friendly, I still see him from time to time too.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk