Kicked in the balls... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Kicked in the balls...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 pm

You live in Quebec? Thats funny, last time I was in Quebec City (Quebec Pee-Wee hockey Tourny) my dad got a parking ticket like the first day we were there, although we never paid it, just crossed back across our border...
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LT Blue Colt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 am

Wow, you should move to Ontario. They seem pretty easy going over there. At least for us occasional visiting Americans. I don't think I've ever gone slower than 80mph on highway 77. And the OPP doesn't seem to mind, even though it's only a 60kph. I think right away they notice we don't have license plates on the front of our cars and come to the conclusion of "There's another crazy American." Did get pulled over up there one time for throwing some grape stems out the window. They really cut down on people throwing stuff out the window, even when it's biodegradable. I wish Michigan was more like that. Let people speed through our peninsula's (pretty much the same as being an island), but make sure nobody leaves their trash. Oh well, now I'm getting off subject. Last time I was kicked in the junk was 4 grade I think. And I hope thats the last. Oh yeah, and that is a sucky heafty ticket. Not cool.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:51 am

aaawall91 wrote:You live in Quebec? Thats funny, last time I was in Quebec City (Quebec Pee-Wee hockey Tourny) my dad got a parking ticket like the first day we were there, although we never paid it, just crossed back across our border...

So your dad is a fugitive from Canadian Justice? That's so cool! He's like an outlaw! :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 am

I agree with you ORS. Bottom line is respect the authority and they will be a lot nicer to you. Not suck up to them, but just be nice. No reason to go calling him all the things you called him either. :-t

OH, and you are right. They run your plates EVERY time in the US.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:09 am

ORS wrote:We don't get notices in the mail to let us know our license is about to expire. We just have to remember.

I'm sure that may be true, but I am equally sure that if it IS the case then your license also has an expiration date on it - OUR license does not since the card itself doesn't expire for 5 years...

ORS wrote:And cops always, in my experience, run your plates. How else will they know if there's a warrant out for arrest.

Okay - so EVERY car that drives past a cop in your neighborhood has its plates run? I'm not talking about getting pulled over for doing something (speeding, running a light etc) and then they run the plates and get you, I'm talking about some jerkwad sitting on the side of the road speed-trapping (and he was sitting in a spot that is indeed a speedtrap spot as it was just off a main road with a 45mph limit where the limit drops to 20mph and many people unlike me do not bother to slow down) and just for the hell of it as I drive by he runs my plates. Again - there's also nothing wrong with my car being driven by anybody else with a valid license even if mine is expired so he also had to go and "chase" me down 3 blocks away and pull me over to verify that it was an expired-license-holder at the wheel as well...

ORS wrote:In retrospect, it would have been nice to receive a warning. Didn't happen this time. You certainly aren't going to encourage a warning with the current attitude you displayed there and are now displaying here.

Maybe things work differently where you are but around here once the ticket is actually written up you are f***ed so at the point where I was showing "attitude" as you put it there was no harm being done - until the anus-hat gave me the citation I was perfectly respectful and polite - once I was already screwed I expressed my displeasure for his draconian measures :-t
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:29 am

Me and a friend from Lakeland were up in Boston visiting our college roommate and because he had to work, we thought we'd drive up into Montreal. Anyway, got pulled for speeding in Vermont (77 in a 65 if I remember correctly) and because we were two males going out of the country together, they asked if they could search the car. We had nothing to hide and I thought if we obliged we wouldn't get a ticket. Anyway, it was about 20 degrees and they kept us outside for about 10 minutes on the side of the road while they searched every square inch of the car including our luggage. I was talking with one of them while they were searching the car and was being super friendly and after not finding anything, they STILL gave me a damn $80 speeding ticket. :-#

On the other hand, I've also gotten out of about 10 tickets (literally) throughout the years just by being friendly and apologizing for speeding. I guess my point is some cops are hardasses and some aren't, but the best possible thing you can do when interacting with the police is be friendly and do NOT lie to them. If you do this and they still give you a ticket, just gotta suck it up.

A $400 ticket does sound pretty unreasonable, though.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:From my experience (and there's been many unfortunately), if you show disrespect to the cop, he will show disrespect to you. And they always win.

That a good general rule, and I'm always respectful of anyone to start, not only police, but when they are disrespectful initially I see no reason to treat them any differently. And they don't always win...but they do most of the time.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:From my experience (and there's been many unfortunately), if you show disrespect to the cop, he will show disrespect to you. And they always win.

That a good general rule, and I'm always respectful of anyone to start, not only police, but when they are disrespectful initially I see no reason to treat them any differently. And they don't always win...but they do most of the time.

Well, I've never won. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Well, I've never won. !+)

I have. You wanna know how? I've just never gotten pulled over. :-) 5 years, not so much as a broken tail light. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 pm

I've gotten out of tickets that I probably shouldn't have gotten out of, and I've gotten tickets that I probably shouldn't have gotten. It just depends on the cop, on the day he/she is having and on you. If you get a good combination of cop having a good day and you making their job easier, you may get lucky.

Case in point. A couple of years ago I got pulled over for speeding, 68 in a 60 zone on a rural highway in the middle of nowhere. It was dark, and the cop lit my car up with his spotlight, but I have some pretty decent tinting on my windows, so as he walked up to my car I stuck my hands out the window so he’d know I wasn’t holding anything. He asked me why I did that and I told him that if I were him I’d want to know where my hands were too, seeing how it was a dark night on a lonely stretch of road in the middle of nowhere. He thought that was pretty cool, and he told me that was part of the reason I got a warning. My experience is that it’s not sucking up or kissing ass that gets you leniency – it’s just empathizing with the crap they have to put up with that really softens them up.

Bottom line is, if that guy was a jerk and/or having a bad day, he could have given me a ticket no matter what I did. But I made the effort to work with him and it paid off.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk