Return to General Talk

Share your tasty recipes!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:02 pm

And the one that got this whole thing started, the Breakfast Casserole. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:24 pm

I've said it before but you guys at the football cafe need your own recipe forum. You could also use a Knitting Forum and maybe a Housework Leftovers Forum.

I should get a lightbulb icon for this.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:32 pm

I have not made this recipe, FYI. It just sounded good so it went in the recipe book.

Duck Marinated in Red Wine and Orange

1/2 cup red wine
1 tablespoon chili oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 orange, juiced, rind cut into strips
4 whole duck breasts, skin and fat removed
Olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced chives, for garnish.
1. In a large freezer bag, combine wine, chili oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, orange juice and orange rind. Mix well and add duck breasts. Seal bag and mix again. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
2. Remove duck from marinade and shake off excess liquid. Heat and lightly oil a grill, ridged skillet or heavy flat skillet. Cook duck breasts to taste, turning frequently, 10 to 15 minutes. If desired, cooked breasts may be wrapped in foil and held for 10 minutes until serving.
3. To serve, thinly slice breasts diagonally and arrange on a serving plate. Pour any juices in pan or foil on top. Garnish with chives, and serve.
Yield: 6 servings.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:33 pm

I made this for Christmas dinner in 2005 and it was EXCELLENT:

Roast Loin of Pork

1 6-chop loin of pork on the bone (about 5 1/2 pounds), rind scored and bone cracked so that chops cut off easily
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon kosher or Maldon salt, more as needed
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot chili oil or olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced into about 6 disks
6 small eating apples.

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Set pork aside at room temperature. Using a mortar and pestle, crush garlic with 1 teaspoon salt to make a paste. Add (but do not crush) cloves, caraway, lemon juice, chili oil and black pepper to taste. Crumble in bay leaves, and mix well.

2. Place pork loin rind-side down; there will be a groove running along its length where chops join with bone. Rub spiced garlic paste into groove. Rub any extra paste around pork, leaving rind dry. Coat bottom of a roasting pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and place onion disks in an overlapping line down length of pan. Place pork rind-side up on onion, and sprinkle lightly with salt.

3. Roast pork for 1 1/2 hours. After 45 minutes of roasting, score apples around circumference, and if necessary, trim bottoms so they sit upright without wobbling. Arrange apples in roasting pan, and continue to cook everything together for 45 minutes.

4. To serve, remove pan from heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a carving board and slice into chops. Serve each chop with a baked apple.

You have to get a good piece of meat or this recipe is wasted. This is not one to go cheap on.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Another one I haven't made - yet!

Salmon Sandwiches

1 pound skinless salmon fillet
1 tablespoon lemon juice, more as needed
Salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 star anise
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup finely shredded Chinese lettuce (also known as celtuce) or romaine
Freshly ground black pepper
16 slices bread, crusts removed.
1. In a medium skillet, combine salmon fillet, lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, peppercorns and star anise. Add 3/8 cup water, and place over high heat. As soon as water comes to a boil, turn salmon over and turn off heat. Rest for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spatula transfer salmon to a plate to cool.
2. Place salmon in a large bowl, and flake with a fork. Add mayonnaise, ginger and lettuce. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Toss gently to combine.
3. Place equal portions of salmon mixture on eight slices of bread, and top with remaining eight slices. Cut each sandwich in half. Arrange on a platter, and serve.
Yield: 8 sandwiches.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:37 pm

One of the best recipes ever. Easy, just a bit of prep work, and it tastes great! We serve this with some orange wedges and fresh banana for breakfast pretty much every holiday.

Breakfast Casserole

--Best if refrigerated overnight before baking--

2 lb ham, cubed
2 lb shredded mild cheddar cheese
5 eggs
2 ½ cups milk
½ small onion, finely chopped (you may use onion flakes if desired)
14 slices bread with crust removed

Beat eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Dunk seven slices of bread in mixture and lay in two rows on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan. Cut one of the pieces of bread in half and use to fill in the gaps at the end of your row. Spread half of the cubed ham and shredded cheese on top of this row, then all the chopped onion. Make another layer of bread just like the first, then spread the rest of the ham and cheese on top.

Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 50-55 minutes, or until top is well browned. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:43 pm

I think i might try that casserole for the hawks game on sunday....being that we play at 10AM over here.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Dang, that casserole looks like the bomb Knapp. Will have to try that one. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:56 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Dang, that casserole looks like the bomb Knapp. Will have to try that one. ;-D

It is really good, and it's also very easy. You almost can't go wrong unless you burn it. It's one of those perfect recipes that come along once in a while. It's at least 30 years old, too. They've been making it for potlucks at the church I grew up at since I can remember.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:06 pm

My potluck comment helped me remember another really good and easy recipe. Any time you have to bring a salad to a dinner and don't want to go to a lot of trouble, make this:

Broccoli, Cauliflower & Olive Salad

1 head cauliflower
2 heads broccoli (enough to equal the cauliflower)
1 large can of ripe olives
2 packages of Good Season's Italian Dressing

Cut up broccoli and cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. Combine broccoli, cauliflower and olives in a tupperware bowl. Mix one package of dressing according to instructions, pour over salad. Close lid and shake to coat. Refrigerate at least three hours, preferably overnight. Just before serving prepare second package of dressing according to instructions, pour over salad and serve.

You can put just about anything in this you want if you don't want to just stick with broccoli, cauliflower and olives. I've made this with cherry tomatoes, button mushrooms and pearl onions in various combinations.
Last edited by knapplc on Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk