Share your tasty recipes!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Share your tasty recipes!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:59 pm

GOPHER STEW

6 lbs. gopher meat (a gopher is a land turtle)
1/4 lb. salt pork, cubed
3 Spanish onions, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 (16 oz.) cans sliced tomatoes
10 c. water
2 datil peppers, whole
Salt and pepper to taste
3 potatoes, cubes
5 tbsp. brown flour
1/2 c. water

Clean gopher meat well and drain. Fry down salt pork in a large cast iron pot. Add meat and brown. Remove meat, drain on paper towels. Add onions, celery and bell pepper to salt pork grease and saute until tender. Add tomatoes and a little water if needed and cook down to a pulp on low heat for about 2 hours. Add gopher meat, 10 cups water and datil peppers and salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes the last 30 minutes of cooking. Mix brown flour with water in a glass jar and shake vigorously. Bring stew to a boil and thicken with flour mixture. Serve over rice.

try to find your shadow now you little bastard
Image

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3067
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Livin in a powderkeg and givin off sparks

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby dream_017 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:48 am

Mookie4ever wrote:GOPHER STEW

6 lbs. gopher meat (a gopher is a land turtle)
1/4 lb. salt pork, cubed
3 Spanish onions, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 (16 oz.) cans sliced tomatoes
10 c. water
2 datil peppers, whole
Salt and pepper to taste
3 potatoes, cubes
5 tbsp. brown flour
1/2 c. water

Clean gopher meat well and drain. Fry down salt pork in a large cast iron pot. Add meat and brown. Remove meat, drain on paper towels. Add onions, celery and bell pepper to salt pork grease and saute until tender. Add tomatoes and a little water if needed and cook down to a pulp on low heat for about 2 hours. Add gopher meat, 10 cups water and datil peppers and salt and pepper to taste. Cook about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes the last 30 minutes of cooking. Mix brown flour with water in a glass jar and shake vigorously. Bring stew to a boil and thicken with flour mixture. Serve over rice.

try to find your shadow now you little bastard

Here in the States it's a groundhog ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15319
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re:

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:44 am

josebach wrote:This is one of my wife and my favorites.

Shrimp and scallop pasta w/wine
1 lb. shelled shrimp (de-veined)
1 lb. bay scallops
1 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 c. dry white wine
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp. dried crushed basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cans Italian style stewed tomatoes
16 oz. hot cooked pasta (we use linguine)
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
parsley (opt.)

Saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil until tender but NOT brown. Stir in wine, bouillon, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook 12-15 minutes or until 1/2 of the liquid evaporates. Add shrimp and scallops and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Stir in tomatoes (undrained) and heat through.

Toss pasta with butter; add seafood, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Serves 4 generously.


(we usually skip tossing the pasta with butter and it tastes just as good)


Made this one tonight, it was really really good and got lots of positive feedback. Although I used spaghetini(sp?) noodles and probably won't again. There are so thin that they clump and all the seafood ends up together away from the noodles. I might try it with penne next time. Either way it was still really good.
Image
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6196
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Homemade Salsa

1 - Large white or red onion
2 - cloves of fresh squeezed garlic
2 - Large cans of whole tomatos (use fresh tomatos for better taste!!!)
1 - capful of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 Tblspn - Salt
1 Tblspn - Black Pepper
1 cup - fresh cilantro leaves (substitute 1 1/2 tblspn of dried cilantro)
1/2 Tblspn - Accent
1 tspn - sugar
1 Tblspn - crushed red peppers (then kind with the seeds etc...)
1/2 cup of Jalepeno Slices
2 tblsp - Jalepeno Juice (from the Jar of Jalepeno)
(Can adjust the heat value by altering the amount of jalepenos.)

I use a Vitamixer but any blender should work...blend to thickness desired...chunky or soupy

Note: This mixture will get hotter each day as the oils from the jalepenos and red peppers seep into the salsa.

Let me know how you like it! ;-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2755
Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: DCC's Rock!

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:18 pm

I've never heard of using the jalapeno juice in the salsa before. Will have to try that little addition. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I've never heard of using the jalapeno juice in the salsa before. Will have to try that little addition. ;-D


Just helps add a little zest to the salsa!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2755
Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: DCC's Rock!

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 am

Tyeattolah wrote:Homemade Salsa

1 - Large white or red onion
2 - cloves of fresh squeezed garlic do you mean crushed or minced?
2 - Large cans of whole tomatos (use fresh tomatos for better taste!!!) What brand do you use? 28 or 32 oz cans?
1 - capful of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 Tblspn - Salt
1 Tblspn - Black Pepper
1 cup - fresh cilantro leaves (substitute 1 1/2 tblspn of dried cilantro)
1/2 Tblspn - Accent Is this a spice or a spice blend?
1 tspn - sugar
1 Tblspn - crushed red peppers (then kind with the seeds etc...)
1/2 cup of Jalepeno Slices have you tried poblano peppers? they have great flavor and aren't as spicy
2 tblsp - Jalepeno Juice (from the Jar of Jalepeno)
(Can adjust the heat value by altering the amount of jalepenos.)
No lime?


I use a Vitamixer but any blender should work...blend to thickness desired...chunky or soupy

Note: This mixture will get hotter each day as the oils from the jalepenos and red peppers seep into the salsa.

Let me know how you like it! ;-D


I'm going to make this recipe this week. I'm doing tacos and having fresh salsa kicks butt over anything from a can. ;-D
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Tyeattolah » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:24 pm

knapplc wrote:
Tyeattolah wrote:Homemade Salsa

1 - Large white or red onion
2 - cloves of fresh squeezed garlic do you mean crushed or minced?
2 - Large cans of whole tomatos (use fresh tomatos for better taste!!!) What brand do you use? 28 or 32 oz cans?
1 - capful of white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 Tblspn - Salt
1 Tblspn - Black Pepper
1 cup - fresh cilantro leaves (substitute 1 1/2 tblspn of dried cilantro)
1/2 Tblspn - Accent Is this a spice or a spice blend?
1 tspn - sugar
1 Tblspn - crushed red peppers (then kind with the seeds etc...)
1/2 cup of Jalepeno Slices have you tried poblano peppers? they have great flavor and aren't as spicy
2 tblsp - Jalepeno Juice (from the Jar of Jalepeno)
(Can adjust the heat value by altering the amount of jalepenos.)
No lime?


I use a Vitamixer but any blender should work...blend to thickness desired...chunky or soupy

Note: This mixture will get hotter each day as the oils from the jalepenos and red peppers seep into the salsa.

Let me know how you like it! ;-D


I'm going to make this recipe this week. I'm doing tacos and having fresh salsa kicks butt over anything from a can. ;-D


1) I use a garlic press, but as long as its blended well it will mix up good either way
2) I think its 28 oz...Hienz or Hunts
3) Accent is like a meat tenderizer...sold in the spice section. Looks like a salt shaker...has a predominately white label with red print
4) Haven't tried the poblano peppers
5) No lime...at least I've never used it but might be good!
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2755
Joined: 14 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: DCC's Rock!

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Sweet. Thanks - I'll let you know how I like it. ;-D
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Easy Asiago Chicken

I get this from the cafeteria at work about once a week, decided to try it at home. Tasty and as easy as can be.

Boneless skinless chicken breast
Shake 'n Bake extra crunchy :^
Shredded hard cheese (asiago, or a blend such as asiago/parmesan/romano)
Whatever spices you like (I like Italian herbs)

Just clean the chicken like you normally would. Dump the contents of a shake 'n bake puch into one of the bags, dump in a few tablespoons of the cheese (all depends on how much chicken you're making, details are on the shaky bakey box). Place chicken in bag, shake (insert little kid from commercial saying "I'M HELPING!").

Here's the important part: use one of those baking pans that has a wire rack to keep the food off the bottom. This way, it will come out crunchy on all sides instead of crunchy on top and soggy on bottom.

Cook per instructions on box. Very tasty main course, minimal effort or cleanup.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 16:19 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact