Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 am

Smoked Salmon Lasagna Rolls

8 lasagne noodles, cooked, drained
125 g (1/2 of 250-g pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Brick Cream Cheese, softened
150 g thinly sliced smoked salmon
1-1/2 cups pasta sauce
1 cup Mozzarella Shredded Cheese

HEAT oven to 400ºF. Spread noodles with cream cheese; top with salmon. Roll up, starting at one of the short ends of each noodle.

PLACE, seam-sides down, in greased 13x9-inch baking pan; top with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil.

BAKE 25 min. or until heated through, removing foil after 15 min.

Stole this from some cooking show and it was delicious. Rolling the lasagne was a bit tedious but it actually didn't take that long. I'd also recommend making more than 8 of them if your family can eat. Three of us polished off 10 rolls pretty easily. Also, on the show the guy put a couple sprigs of fresh dill in each roll which really added some flavour.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 am

That sounds really good! One question - doesn't the cream cheese melt and ooze out of the rolls?

This sounds like a logistically easier version of stuffed manicotti, where the lasagna takes the place of the manicotti, and because you're rolling it, it's easier to get the filling inside. I make a "piping bag" out of a plastic bag when I make stuffed manicotti, and it's always a mess and the noodles rip and overall it's kind of a pain. This is an interesting option that I'll have to try.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 am

Sizzling Garlic Shrimp

1 tbl. vegetable oil
20 large shrimp, peeled & deveined
2 roma tomatoes
¼ red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks green onion, chopped
¼ cup brandy
½ cup heavy cream
Lowry’s seasoning salt to taste

Heat oil in large pan. Cook shrimp until it just starts to turn pink, remove and set aside. Add garlic, onion and seasonings to pan and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the brandy and bring to a low simmer for about three minutes. You can flambé the brandy if you prefer. Return the shrimp to the pan and mix in tomatoes and green onions and stir to incorporate. Add cream and reduce until correct consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve over rice with grilled vegetables.

I also make this as an appetizer served with a sliced baguette. I double the liquid if I do this so you can sop up the sauce with the bread.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:50 am

knapplc wrote:That sounds really good! One question - doesn't the cream cheese melt and ooze out of the rolls?

This sounds like a logistically easier version of stuffed manicotti, where the lasagna takes the place of the manicotti, and because you're rolling it, it's easier to get the filling inside. I make a "piping bag" out of a plastic bag when I make stuffed manicotti, and it's always a mess and the noodles rip and overall it's kind of a pain. This is an interesting option that I'll have to try.

that does sound good...wonder if i can convince the wife to eat it though.

i've had the same "piping bag" issue as you
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm

knapplc wrote:That sounds really good! One question - doesn't the cream cheese melt and ooze out of the rolls?

It didn't when I made them, but I used less cream cheese than it called for. Next time I plan on doing the proper amount, so hopefully it won't spill out.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:41 pm

knapplc wrote:Sizzling Garlic Shrimp

That brandy-cream sauce sounds awesome, knapp. I'll definitely be giving it a try. I'm not a brandy drinker; could anyone recommend a good cooking brandy, or maybe one that's good enough to sip but not so expensive it'd be a waste to cook with it?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

scottaa1 wrote:

That brandy-cream sauce sounds awesome, knapp. I'll definitely be giving it a try. I'm not a brandy drinker; could anyone recommend a good cooking brandy, or maybe one that's good enough to sip but not so expensive it'd be a waste to cook with it?

Get E&J Gallo. It's fairly inexpensive and great for cooking, that's what I use.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:50 pm

I just got back from the store. Whole beef tenderloins on sale for $7.99/pound. I bought one that was a little over fifty bucks and they sliced it into eight eight ounce filets mignon and about 2 pounds of ground tenderloin trimmings that will be some awesome hamburgers on the grill.

I'm going to try a recipe I found online for dinner tonight that sounds like it's an awesome pan jus, I'll let you know.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:35 pm

scottaa1 wrote:

It's really good. ;-D Just go light on the seasoning salt. It's got good flavor but you can oversalt it really easily.

RE: Brandy. The ONLY reason I buy brandy is for this recipe. :-b I use Christian Brothers because it was recommended by the chef who gave me that recipe. It's the only one I've ever bought, so I don't know if it's better/worse than the E&J Gallo stuff Met recommends. If they sell both, buy the least expensive. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm

I'll share this one with you. One of my favorites that my wife makes on occasion.

Cowboy Spaghetti

Ingredients

* 1 pound spaghetti
* Salt
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
* 3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
* 1 pound ground sirloin
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* Ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
* 1/2 cup beer
* 1 (14-ounce) can, chopped or crushed fire roasted tomatoes
* 1 (8-ounces) can, tomato sauce
* 8 ounces sharp Cheddar
* 4 scallions, chopped

Directions

Heat a pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and salt the water. Cook to al dente or with a bite to it.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary. Leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add beef and crumble it as it browns, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic and stir into meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Add 1/2 cup beer and deglaze the pan. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more then stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add hot spaghetti to meat and sauce and combine. Adjust seasonings and serve up pasta in shallow bowls. Grate some cheese over the pasta and sprinkle with scallions. Garnish with crisp bacon
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk