Share your tasty recipes!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Share your tasty recipes!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Share your tasty recipes!!!

Postby Tyeattolah » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'll share this one with you. One of my favorites that my wife makes on occasion.

Cowboy Spaghetti

Ingredients

* 1 pound spaghetti
* Salt
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
* 3 slices smoky bacon, chopped
* 1 pound ground sirloin
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
* Ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons hot sauce, eyeball it
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
* 1/2 cup beer
* 1 (14-ounce) can, chopped or crushed fire roasted tomatoes
* 1 (8-ounces) can, tomato sauce
* 8 ounces sharp Cheddar
* 4 scallions, chopped

Directions

Heat a pot of water to a boil. Add spaghetti and salt the water. Cook to al dente or with a bite to it.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon. Brown and crisp bacon, 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off a little excess fat if necessary. Leave just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add beef and crumble it as it browns, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, garlic and stir into meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Add 1/2 cup beer and deglaze the pan. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more then stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce.

Add hot spaghetti to meat and sauce and combine. Adjust seasonings and serve up pasta in shallow bowls. Grate some cheese over the pasta and sprinkle with scallions. Garnish with crisp bacon

Bacon! :-L :-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:04 pm

It's good. I took it as a leftover to work the other day and was asked for the recipe by 4 people.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Haven't read through this whole thread, but I have a claim to fame...

Brauts!

It's pretty simple:

Poke holes in brauts.
Mix a bunch of brown sugar and a little nutmeg in boiling beer (preferably your favorite microbrew).
Boil brauts lightly for about an hour.
BBQ
Serve with your favorite fixings.

Dudes love it (and my wife likes it too). ;-D

PS... Y'all are special, 'cause everybody else just knows it's my secret recipe. ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:35 pm

An Easter tradition in the Mookie household

Bunny Stew

2 bunnies, cut up
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1/4 c. oil and drippings
1 sliced onion
4 c. boiling water
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/4 c. flour
3 med. potatoes, diced
1/2 c. cold water
3 med. carrots, diced

Catch bunnies. Easy to find this time of year, the cuter the better. Brown the bunnies in oil in Dutch oven. Add boiling water. Cover and simmer about 1 hour. Add vegetables and seasonings. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Combine flour and cold water to form a paste and add to stew. Stir until slightly thickened.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:42 am

Bump!

I made a prawn stir-fry last week that was really good. I usually make stir-fry on rice but I tried it on steam-fried chow mein noodles. It was awesome and I'm not sure I can go back to rice.

1 lb prawns
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
10ish mushrooms
couple stalks of celery
Red onion
Couple cloves of garlic
cajun seasoning
bag of steam-fried noodles
soy sauce

1. Peel the prawns and sprinkle them with the cajun seasoning. I just used store-bought.
2. Chop up the veggies and start frying them. I threw in cajun season with them too. Between the prawns and veggies I would guess I used 1-1.5 tablespoons of the seasoning.
3. Boil the noodles. They are really thin so the cooking time was only 1 minute. (doesn't matter if they start cooling a bit, but I wouldn't let it go too long)
4. Throw the prawns on a greased cookie sheet and broil them until cooked (5-6 mins).
5. Once everything is cooked or very close to, combine everything (including soy sauce to taste) in a large pot (I used a wok) and cook for a couple minutes.
6. Enjoy!

Couple notes. You don't have to broil the prawns per se, but I find broiling brought the cajun spice out really well. You can throw some other spices at it if you prefer, but I really enjoyed the spicy taste of the cajun. The veggies could be changed around too. Snow peas are good in stir fry. This recipe is obviously pretty simple, but I really just wanted to bring it up because of the chow-mein noodle slant on it. First time I had tried it and it was fantastic. I ate the leftovers about 3 hours after dinner it was so tasty.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 am

Anybody ever deep fried fish? What is a good beer to use in the batter? I'm making it tomorrow for the first time and I'm not sure what to use.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Anybody ever deep fried fish? What is a good beer to use in the batter? I'm making it tomorrow for the first time and I'm not sure what to use.

Newcastle
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:40 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Anybody ever deep fried fish? What is a good beer to use in the batter? I'm making it tomorrow for the first time and I'm not sure what to use.

Newcastle

I have it on good authoritity that Shore Lunch batter mix is good stuff. They even have a beer batter mix.

We used to catch crappie and then deep fry them in beer batter, the whole neighborhood would come over. Lots of beer involved.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 am

bumping an old thread (wow, almost five years to the day it was started!), because it's chili season! This stuff I made yesterday is phenomenal.

Ingredients:
All the garlic I had left in the house (3/4s of a clove or so), diced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 serrano peppers, seeds ‘mostly’ removed, diced
1 pound ground turkey
1 packet taco seasoning
14oz can kidney beans
14oz can pinto beans
28oz can diced tomato w/ juice
~ two cups frozen sweet corn from last summer

I sautéed all the veggies except the corn first, then took them out, then browned the turkey. Added the veggies back in, dumped in the taco seasoning and the whole can of tomatoes, and the drained/rinsed beans and corn. Let it all simmer for an hour+. Made skillet cornbread as a side. Delicious. The serranos add just the perfect heat and caused a few beads of perspiration on the forehead while I was eating it. And I've got two quarts of leftovers to munch on while watching the playoffs this weekend. :-L
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to General Talk