An Inconvenient Truth - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

An Inconvenient Truth

Moderator: Football Moderators

An Inconvenient Truth

Postby biju » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Has anybody seen this documentary?

I watched it a couple of nights ago and I must say that it has changed my view on global warming. I seriously believe that everyone needs to see this at the very least to shed some light on the topic.

I know that people have a tough time with the subject matter but being that most of us here are intelligent folks I would like to hear other people's views on the issue.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:58 pm

I have no problem with the concept of the movie, but what exactly does anyone expect the "common man" to do about it? Short of massive worldwide protests we're not going to stop using fossil fuels.

We may be on an unchangeable path unless a fundamental shift in how we move about is invented and used, whether by chance or by the choice of a major world government.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:07 pm

knapplc wrote:I have no problem with the concept of the movie, but what exactly does anyone expect the "common man" to do about it? Short of massive worldwide protests we're not going to stop using fossil fuels.

We may be on an unchangeable path unless a fundamental shift in how we move about is invented and used, whether by chance or by the choice of a major world government.

Did you see it?

I don't doubt that we're pretty hooked on fossil fuels but we can certainly change how they're used and how efficient the cars we drive are.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Haven't seen it yet, but I want to. Considering there's a long history of climate shifts on this planet, I have a hard time beliving that we can definitively say how much of an impact humans actually have on the climate. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't take every precaution. I've had a long running stance on global warming that's unlikely to change. Until we can prove that global warming isn't being caused by humans, isn't our only option to act as if it is? Considering the Earth is our greatest, most important resource, shouldn't a little risk management be in order?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:19 pm

biju wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have no problem with the concept of the movie, but what exactly does anyone expect the "common man" to do about it? Short of massive worldwide protests we're not going to stop using fossil fuels.

Did you see it?

I don't doubt that we're pretty hooked on fossil fuels but we can certainly change how they're used and how efficient the cars we drive are.

No, I haven't seen it and I don't know that I will. I know the message and I've already read up on the data so I have a pretty good grasp of the situation. Plus I can't stand Al Gore. :-b

The fact that we can change or stop our addiction to fossil fuels isn't the question. The question is whether we'll be allowed to. Here in the "land of the free" we are pretty much at the mercy of the Federal Government and Big Oil. We can pretend we aren't but the reality says otherwise.

I'd like to believe that something as simple as this movie could change our use/abuse of fossil fuels, but I sincerely doubt it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 pm

knapplc wrote:.
I'd like to believe that something as simple as this movie could change our use/abuse of fossil fuels, but I sincerely doubt it.

It brings awareness I think and issues that are on people's minds get addressed on election day. Not that I'm talking about you, but what I can't stand is when people turn the environment into a partisan issue. I swear my parents don't recycle out of spite and it really pisses me off.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby biju » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 pm

knapplc wrote:The fact that we can change or stop our addiction to fossil fuels isn't the question. The question is whether we'll be allowed to. Here in the "land of the free" we are pretty much at the mercy of the Federal Government and Big Oil. We can pretend we aren't but the reality says otherwise.

This I can understand. But politicians tend to want to get (re-)elected and they tend to go with popular opinion. I don't believe the US goverment will do anything about it until the people demand it.

That's why I believe understanding the problem and consequences is a good thing.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:36 pm

I really liked the film, and it does raise some good issues. In fact a school district near me, just stated that teachers cannot show the film in class unless they provide equal time and energy to the counterpoint.

As far as recycling goes, I was really suprised how little alot of people recycle. up here in a very 'green' Washington, recycling is embedded into our thinking in elementary school. But I recently visited west texas (odessa) and they didn't recylce at all. I mean they thought I was nuts when I asked where I should put my empty beer??
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:37 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:.

It brings awareness I think and issues that are on people's minds get addressed on election day. Not that I'm talking about you, but what I can't stand is when people turn the environment into a partisan issue. I swear my parents don't recycle out of spite and it really pisses me off.

I think you're right in this post and your post above. We may not KNOW what causes global warming, but if we're to blame we're pretty stupid for not doing what we can to stop it. And I think a lot of that stupidity comes from, like you say, political BS and partisan politics.

Recycling is as easy as can be, but like you I know people who won't simply because it's a "tree-hugger" kind of thing to do. I'm certainly no tree hugging hippy like Moonhead but I know what's best for me and my family, and having a planet to live on is certainly a good thing. It's not hard to do your part - buy a car that has good fuel economy. Recycle whatever you can. Do your best not to be wasteful. It's really pretty easy, and it's neither a Democratic nor Republican nor Liberal nor Conservative thing to do. It's just smart.

PS - my computer's spell-check didn't like "hippy." It has upwards of 60,000 words but not hippy? Really?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:40 pm

BGbootha wrote:I really liked the film, and it does raise some good issues. In fact a school district near me, just stated that teachers cannot show the film in class unless they provide equal time and energy to the counterpoint.

As far as recycling goes, I was really suprised how little alot of people recycle. up here in a very 'green' Washington, recycling is embedded into our thinking in elementary school. But I recently visited west texas (odessa) and they didn't recylce at all. I mean they thought I was nuts when I asked where I should put my empty beer??

That's really too bad. Again, I'm not about to go off on an "Al Gore is cool" tangent, but even if he is approaching this movie from a Democratic Liberal agenda, that doesn't mean that the facts he's bringing up are wrong just because of that!

God help us if we destroy this planet just to prove a point. Ugh.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk