What I didnt like about this season. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

What I didnt like about this season.

Moderator: Football Moderators

What I didnt like about this season.

Postby HskrPwr13 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm

In no particular order:

1. Boise State. Actually this isnt really about BSU as I have nothing against the program or any of its members. This is more about the ridiculousness that ensued regarding some of the playoff chatter and the seemingly hypocritical statements that were made in that chatter when compared to the Michigan/Fla debate. Seemingly everyone (here, media, aquaitances) who had an opinion about Michigan/Fla used the term deserve either directly or inderectly. It generally boiled down to people's perceptions about sos, the fact that OSU already beat Mich, and conference champ v. not. Deserve was mostly used when talking about sos, Big10 v. SEC teams, etc. But then when it came to BSU, after they beat OU, all of the sudden nothing else mattered including sos. BSU deserved a chance at the title because they were undefeated, schedule be damned. This held true for both long time fans and............

2. Johnny-come-latelies, only NFLers, and other part-time college football fans that think that when bowl season rolls around and NC debate reaches its apex, that all of the sudden they decide to bestow upon us their gold plated naive opinions about how much better college football would be for everyone if things were done their way (polls/playoffs). I'm not a hater. But those that say "just take the top8 teams and put them in a playoff" or "do it like the NFL or college basketball" are naive to the intricacies of the unbalanced schedules, polls, and other nuances of 1-A football. One person on this site wrote something to the affect of, "Until college football uses a playoff, I'll stick with the NFL." My response to that is "See ya!"

3. The SEC disciples. I'm talking about those that think that only one conference played football this year, and act like the SEC is the only conference that has ever played football. I'll admit that that I believe that the SEC was the best conference this year, but its not like they were so far away great that everyone else was just dogs. The SECs ooc sched wasnt any tougher than any other conference and they collectively didnt "prove" in the bowls that they were far superior. The fact that Fla won the NC proves they were the best team. It doesnt validate the whole conference. If that were true, then the Big8 had better seasons, as a whole, than I ever gave them credit for. Speaking of history, it was only a few years ago, '99 and prior, that NU couldve kicked the crap out of anyone in the SEC. LSU's only been NC relavant since Saban got there, how often has Auburn been a true NC contender in the past 40 years, and dont get me started on MSU, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Ark......................

4. Coaches complaining in the media about how tough their schedule is. I dont know if this is a new phenomenon or just that its so much easier now to be heard. This may have been polliticing to get ranked higher, but this would the earliest I've ever seen that start (see Tubberville). For all intents, Meyer did the same thing while providing his two cents about playoffs. Ya, know I never remember Schembechler, Osborne, Bowden, or any other coaches bitching that they didnt get a shot at the title because their schedule was too tough. If you cant win in your conference because the other teams are too tough, either get better, or go find a place to coach where you feel that the competition isnt so stiff. What a joke!

5. ND hype.

6. The "homerism" of ABC/ESPN. This station completely sold out this year. I couldnt stand the countdowns in the corner of the screen for the Mich/OSU game or the Rose Bowl. Way over the top. Anyone who wanted to watch these games knew when they were. I for one didnt need to know that we were 55 hours, 32 minutes, and 18 seconds away from the start of your broadcast for these games. Also, they really took away the respect I had for the College Gameday Show and Scoreboard Show by forcing the hosts to build up the games on their networks and devaluing the importance of other games. It also seems now that they "pick" certain teams that they choose to give most of their air time to (not the games, but the highlights, discussion, and feel good stories). If you want to sell out ABC and any of its non-biased opinions to a conference as CBS did to the SEC, than fine. I dont like it, but there is a precedence for it. But as far as ESPN goes, c'mon! The only biases you should have on your station are those of the analysts, not the program manager.

7. BCS week. No reason that these games cant be fit in on New Years Day. If you want to have the championship a day later, then fine. Get back to what got you here. Am I the only one annoyed that one has to rearrange a weeks worth of plans if one want to see every BCS game?

8. The NFL Network. Why are they even involved in college football? I dont see how this does anything positive for college football.

9. Non Thursday or Saturday games. I thought it was cool when they started putting games on Thursday nights about 15 years ago. It worked. But as anything else in college football, if they find something that works, they ruin it in hopes of making it better. Having teams play on Mon, Tues, Fri ads little value, it only devalues Saturdays. I understand that the "little guys" need to get exposure, but is there really many people watching these games outside of those schools' fans?

10. That I have more to complain about than I do to rave about. :-b
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aldridg6in » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Things I didn't like...

The firing of Chuck Amato...as long as he was coaching I had faith that UNC could beat NC State

Meaningless bowls like the GMAC and International bowls being played after Jan. 1...did anyone even watch these?

The week before the Championship game...shorten the bowl season for crying out loud

Florida jumping Michigan in the rankings when the Wolverines didn't play...I know Florida won the title and all but how many times does a team drop in the rankings by not playing, especially when their only loss was to the #1 team in the nation? Taking nothing away from Florida because they proved they belonged, I think Michigan got robbed.

Everyone hyping up Notre Dame and Brady Quinn...Can we all just admit ND is overrated every year and get on with our lives?

The BCS vs. playoff debate...we're stuck with the BCS so live with it. A playoff wouldn't ensure that the best team would be playing for the championship either.

There's probably more, but that's all I've got right now...
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 am

aldridg6in wrote:Things I didn't like...

The firing of Chuck Amato...as long as he was coaching I had faith that UNC could beat NC State

Meaningless bowls like the GMAC and International bowls being played after Jan. 1...did anyone even watch these?

The week before the Championship game...shorten the bowl season for crying out loud

Florida jumping Michigan in the rankings when the Wolverines didn't play...I know Florida won the title and all but how many times does a team drop in the rankings by not playing, especially when their only loss was to the #1 team in the nation? Taking nothing away from Florida because they proved they belonged, I think Michigan got robbed.

Everyone hyping up Notre Dame and Brady Quinn...Can we all just admit ND is overrated every year and get on with our lives?

The BCS vs. playoff debate...we're stuck with the BCS so live with it. A playoff wouldn't ensure that the best team would be playing for the championship either.

Had this not happened you would have never had a real champion. The top 2 Big 10 teams got exposed and there is no way anyone can ever convince me that if you do not win your confernece you should be in the NC game
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:14 pm

I agree with all your points, and I will admit that I was guilty of #2 to some extent.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: What I didnt like about this season.

Postby Atog » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:56 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:In no particular order:

3. The SEC disciples. I'm talking about those that think that only one conference played football this year, and act like the SEC is the only conference that has ever played football. I'll admit that that I believe that the SEC was the best conference this year, but its not like they were so far away great that everyone else was just dogs. The SECs ooc sched wasnt any tougher than any other conference and they collectively didnt "prove" in the bowls that they were far superior. The fact that Fla won the NC proves they were the best team. It doesnt validate the whole conference. If that were true, then the Big8 had better seasons, as a whole, than I ever gave them credit for. Speaking of history, it was only a few years ago, '99 and prior, that NU couldve kicked the crap out of anyone in the SEC. LSU's only been NC relavant since Saban got there, how often has Auburn been a true NC contender in the past 40 years, and dont get me started on MSU, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Ark......................

I don't know if just it's us up in Big-Ten country, but it seemed like the SEC fans took their bowls WAY more seriously than anybody else.
I was interested in the Wisconsin and Penn State Bowls, but I didn't care that much about them.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:38 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:Things I didn't like...

Had this not happened you would have never had a real champion. The top 2 Big 10 teams got exposed and there is no way anyone can ever convince me that if you do not win your confernece you should be in the NC game

After seeing Florida dismantle Ohio St., I don't think there is any question as to whether or not they should have been there. That being said, I don't think they should have jumped them when they did. If they were to play in the nat'l championship, they should have been ahead of Michigan right after OSU beat Michigan, not 2 weeks later.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 pm

1. Michigan's last two games.

2. The lack of a great Heisman or NC winner. (Sorry Troy Smith and Florida, Reggie Bush and Texas you are not).

3. Lou Holtz and Mark May.

4. People saying Boise deserved a title shot after they beat a good but not great Oklahoma team on two trick plays in overtime.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 pm

CC wrote:2. The lack of a great Heisman or NC winner. (Sorry Troy Smith and Florida, Reggie Bush and Texas you are not).

I'd be interested to see how Vince Young would've moved the ball against a defense where there are 8 guys almost as fast as he is.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby CC » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
CC wrote:2. The lack of a great Heisman or NC winner. (Sorry Troy Smith and Florida, Reggie Bush and Texas you are not).

I'd be interested to see how Vince Young would've moved the ball against a defense where there are 8 guys almost as fast as he is.

I'd say that you would be hard pressed to find a team in college football with the speed of an NFL defense.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:54 pm

1. Anthony Morelli
2. Notre Dame being all hyped up as usual
3. Michigan and OSU sputtering
4. All the BCS arguments that came up, kind of sick of it
5. Paul Maguire pointlessly riding the camera thing and all the other announcers who don't know what they're talking about

I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football