What I didnt like about this season. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

What I didnt like about this season.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:Things I didn't like...

The firing of Chuck Amato...as long as he was coaching I had faith that UNC could beat NC State

Meaningless bowls like the GMAC and International bowls being played after Jan. 1...did anyone even watch these?

The week before the Championship game...shorten the bowl season for crying out loud

Florida jumping Michigan in the rankings when the Wolverines didn't play...I know Florida won the title and all but how many times does a team drop in the rankings by not playing, especially when their only loss was to the #1 team in the nation? Taking nothing away from Florida because they proved they belonged, I think Michigan got robbed.

Everyone hyping up Notre Dame and Brady Quinn...Can we all just admit ND is overrated every year and get on with our lives?

The BCS vs. playoff debate...we're stuck with the BCS so live with it. A playoff wouldn't ensure that the best team would be playing for the championship either.

There's probably more, but that's all I've got right now...

Had this not happened you would have never had a real champion. The top 2 Big 10 teams got exposed and there is no way anyone can ever convince me that if you do not win your confernece you should be in the NC game

After seeing Florida dismantle Ohio St., I don't think there is any question as to whether or not they should have been there. That being said, I don't think they should have jumped them when they did. If they were to play in the nat'l championship, they should have been ahead of Michigan right after OSU beat Michigan, not 2 weeks later.

It all worked out- Michigan got whooped by USC and Florida won the title easily... at the time yes I agree though I thought it was a little unfair that Florida jumped over Michigan.

Also I agree with everything the original poster said except for that I do think the SEC is far and away the best conference in the country. I don't think any other conference was even close this year. Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Tennesee, Auburn, and Georgia were all ranked teams and most would be top teams in any other conference (maybe with the exception of Georgia). The one conference closest was the Big 10 but I really think they are overated... besides OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State, which are good teams, there is just nobody. The bottom 7 teams in that conference are the reason why those top 4 teams were given such a high national ranking. I must say though I was very suprised that Wisconsin beat Arkansas, they hadn't had 1 quality win all season and I thought Arkansas would blow them out- give some credit to Wisconsin.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aldridg6in » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:32 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
aldridg6in wrote:Things I didn't like...

The firing of Chuck Amato...as long as he was coaching I had faith that UNC could beat NC State

Meaningless bowls like the GMAC and International bowls being played after Jan. 1...did anyone even watch these?

The week before the Championship game...shorten the bowl season for crying out loud

Florida jumping Michigan in the rankings when the Wolverines didn't play...I know Florida won the title and all but how many times does a team drop in the rankings by not playing, especially when their only loss was to the #1 team in the nation? Taking nothing away from Florida because they proved they belonged, I think Michigan got robbed.

Everyone hyping up Notre Dame and Brady Quinn...Can we all just admit ND is overrated every year and get on with our lives?

The BCS vs. playoff debate...we're stuck with the BCS so live with it. A playoff wouldn't ensure that the best team would be playing for the championship either.

There's probably more, but that's all I've got right now...

Had this not happened you would have never had a real champion. The top 2 Big 10 teams got exposed and there is no way anyone can ever convince me that if you do not win your confernece you should be in the NC game

After seeing Florida dismantle Ohio St., I don't think there is any question as to whether or not they should have been there. That being said, I don't think they should have jumped them when they did. If they were to play in the nat'l championship, they should have been ahead of Michigan right after OSU beat Michigan, not 2 weeks later.

That was my point. Florida proved they should have been there, but they should have been #2 a week earlier than they got there.

By the way, teams that do not win their conference title win titles in almost every other college sport and it happens all the time in pro leagues so I don't think college football is any different. That's the beauty of playoffs.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:22 am

2 more things:

This isnt knew to this season, but it like the most I've seen in one season: Players with more than one-year of eligibility remaining, leaving for the NFL. If he's a sure-fire first rounder, I can understand, if not, you should be back for at least one more season.

Surprised I'm the first to bring this up: The new, hopefully soon to be old, clock rules. I dont know who was dumber, the guy who thought up these new rules, or the clowns that voted for them as a positive change? Hopefully they'll go back to the pre last season rules. And please dont retard the game by changing rules based on how much time is left in the contest.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:16 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:2 more things:
Surprised I'm the first to bring this up: The new, hopefully soon to be old, clock rules. I dont know who was dumber, the guy who thought up these new rules, or the clowns that voted for them as a positive change? Hopefully they'll go back to the pre last season rules. And please dont retard the game by changing rules based on how much time is left in the contest.

Oh man I totally agree. If you want to shorten the game then shorten it, take 2 minutes of each quarter but dont change the rules. Lame.
:-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Metroid wrote:

Oh man I totally agree. If you want to shorten the game then shorten it, take 2 minutes of each quarter but dont change the rules. Lame.

I'm not for shortening the game, but if thats what they want to do, then this is brilliant. Wish I had thought of it. ;-D
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm probably being too critical, and hopefully this is my last thing. I was reading another article from one of the regular cf honks and this word came up again for the thousandth time this season, "Cyclical". I cant stand the way honks are using this word to excuse poor play, poor coaching, or any other reason for a dip in production or even a rise in production (big east). This is a complete analytical cop out. I heard this term being used by NU writers and such when describing the "fall" of NU over recent years. No. Poor recruting and questionable hirings is why NU fell. Not because some mystical force said they could only be so good for a specific length of time before the "cycle" yanked the rug out from under them. I can buy the fact that has time goes on, a decision on some aspect is made incorrectly, and it can cause a chain of events that lead to unintended consequences. Saying that a team or conference's success is cyclical takes away from those successes as well doesnt hold inhibitors of the success accountable. Finally, as a honk, it means that you dont have the necessary skills to analyze the situation and figure out what decisions were made and actions taken to account for a teams new found success or demise.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:55 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I'm not for shortening the game, but if thats what they want to do, then this is brilliant. Wish I had thought of it. ;-D

Yeah I dont want to shorten the game either but for some reason they do. The games were shorter this season because of the new clock rules but also a lot of the late game excitement was lost. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:09 pm

1. officiating

moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: What I didnt like about this season.

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Atog wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:In no particular order:

3. The SEC disciples. I'm talking about those that think that only one conference played football this year, and act like the SEC is the only conference that has ever played football. I'll admit that that I believe that the SEC was the best conference this year, but its not like they were so far away great that everyone else was just dogs. The SECs ooc sched wasnt any tougher than any other conference and they collectively didnt "prove" in the bowls that they were far superior. The fact that Fla won the NC proves they were the best team. It doesnt validate the whole conference. If that were true, then the Big8 had better seasons, as a whole, than I ever gave them credit for. Speaking of history, it was only a few years ago, '99 and prior, that NU couldve kicked the crap out of anyone in the SEC. LSU's only been NC relavant since Saban got there, how often has Auburn been a true NC contender in the past 40 years, and dont get me started on MSU, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Ark......................

I don't know if just it's us up in Big-Ten country, but it seemed like the SEC fans took their bowls WAY more seriously than anybody else.
I was interested in the Wisconsin and Penn State Bowls, but I didn't care that much about them.

(For the record, I am about to only further HuskerPower's initial post #3)

That's because SEC fans take football more seriously than other conferences IMO. Look at the average attendence of SEC stadiums, look at the noise of the SEC stadiums. They call the big house the quietest 100,000 people or something like that... I don't remember the same being said about Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. I was at the NC game and the OSU fans out numbered the FL fans 5, maybe 6-1 and I can tell you that the FL fans were still louder. I know they obviously had more to cheer about, but even after Ginn Jr. returned the opening kickoff and the Gators had the ball, the OSU fans were not as loud as the Gators were once OSU got the ball.

(I'm sorry I know I am an SEC homer and I do actually have a hard-on for the SEC as I speak but I really think that SEC schools care more about football than other conferences.)

One last note. At the NC game, there were holding signs everywhere from both teams' fans. "Tressell wears a sweater vest" "Meyer is a whiner" etc etc. But I did see an interesting sign that shows how much the SEC cares about not only their own team, but the other teams in the conference. There was a sign that had "Florida, #1... LSU, #2" Then throughout the game Gator fans were also cheering SEC multiple times. I just think there's a mentality in the south that the SEC is superior (even though the SEC being the premier conference is relatively new).

And I'm also guilty of caring too much about the SEC bowls. I watched a lot of bowl season but if an SEC team was on, I was watching that game start to finish.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:56 pm

I didn't like Pac-10 replay officials either. They missed that call in the NC game too.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to College Football