Kicking a Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Kicking a Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kicking a Football

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I couldn't decide whether to put this here or in the Leftovers forum. But why does it seem like a kicker can kick a ball further off a tee on kick offs than they can when they kick field goals? On kick offs they seem to boot it like 80 yards, yet any field goal over 50 yards is a stretch for some kickers. Is it just the tee that makes a difference?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrblitz » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:53 pm

I think it has more to do with the running start they get when kicking off. :-?

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indys_time » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:55 pm

^^^^ Yeah Blitz's thought seems to be best. The kicker gets a running start and there are not D-lineman trying to block the kick.
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:57 pm

i agree with the running start. when its windy and someone has to hold the ball for a kickoff...they still kick it much further than a field goal, so its not neccessarily the tee.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 pm

The running start thing makes sense. I just always wondered why somone could barely make a 50 yarder but then they boot it in the endzone on the kickoff.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Indys_time » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm

sox 06 wrote:The running start thing makes sense. I just always wondered why somone could barely make a 50 yarder but then they boot it in the endzone on the kickoff.

That does seem interesting. :-? , Maybe the ball is easier to kick off of a tee instead of another person holding it.
Thanks to Joelamosobadiah for another great sig
Indys_time
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Indys_time wrote:
sox 06 wrote:The running start thing makes sense. I just always wondered why somone could barely make a 50 yarder but then they boot it in the endzone on the kickoff.

That does seem interesting. :-? , Maybe the ball is easier to kick off of a tee instead of another person holding it.

I was sort of comparing it to golf in my head. A ball is easier to hit off the tee then off the ground. The holder for the field goals is essentially holding the ball on the ground. Maybe it's similar?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Munboy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Off a tee the ball is stationary and lifted off the ground. Kicking fieldgoal, the ball is always in motion. From the snap, to the set, to the spin. I remember awhile back, the NFL went to a shorter tee because there were so many touchbacks, so the height of the ball off the ground has something to do with it for sure. Then there's that running start. On a fieldgoal attempt, a kicker gets maybe 3 steps or risks a block.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Munboy wrote:Off a tee the ball is stationary and lifted off the ground. Kicking fieldgoal, the ball is always in motion. From the snap, to the set, to the spin. I remember awhile back, the NFL went to a shorter tee because there were so many touchbacks, so the height of the ball off the ground has something to do with it for sure. Then there's that running start. On a fieldgoal attempt, a kicker gets maybe 3 steps or risks a block.

Yeah I was thinking it had to do something with the height of the ball off the ground.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:13 pm

It definetly is harder to kick when someone is holding, think about when the wind knocks the ball off the tee too many times, and then someone holds it, the ball always goes shorter.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk