Huge earthquake hits Japan- Tsunami warnings issued - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Huge earthquake hits Japan- Tsunami warnings issued

Moderator: Football Moderators

Huge earthquake hits Japan- Tsunami warnings issued

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:25 am

Breaking news that just happened literally minutes ago...

TOKYO - Japan's Meteorological Agency issued tsunami warnings Saturday following a powerful 8.3 magnitude earthquake in the Pacific Ocean and officials ordered coastal residents to flee to higher ground.
ADVERTISEMENT

The agency said waves as high as 3.3-feet could hit the northeastern coast of Japan's northern island of Hokkaido around 2 p.m. (12 a.m. EST).

The quake struck around 1:24 p.m. about 310 miles east of the Etorofu islands between northern Japan and Russia, the agency said. There were no immediate report of injuries or damage from the quake.

Local authorities along Hokkaido's coast ordered residents living along the northern and eastern coasts of Japan's northern main island of Hokkaido to evacuate to higher ground.

Hideo Suzuki, a municipal official for the town of Rausu, said he had not observed any visible change of the sea level as of around 2 p.m., although the town has ordered all residents to evacuate.

Tsunami waves — generated by earthquakes — are often barely noticeable in the ocean but can rise to great heights once they arrive at shore.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_ ... rthquake_2

wow... this could be a disaster
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:33 am

Or it could end up being just another earthquake in the pacific.... Of 8.3 magnitude? ARe you kidding. I'm going to sleep know and I DO NOT expect to hear good things in the morning.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:11 am

SniperShot wrote:Or it could end up being just another earthquake in the pacific.... Of 8.3 magnitude? ARe you kidding. I'm going to sleep know and I DO NOT expect to hear good things in the morning.

Somehow, the tsunami threat passed... Very good to hear ;-D
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:44 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Or it could end up being just another earthquake in the pacific.... Of 8.3 magnitude? ARe you kidding. I'm going to sleep know and I DO NOT expect to hear good things in the morning.

Somehow, the tsunami threat passed... Very good to hear ;-D

There are earthquakes at or near this magnitude every year in the vicinity of Japan. They're pretty well prepared for tsunami over there these days and they don't usually suffer too much loss of life. There are tsunami breakwaters around most major cities/harbors these days to boot.

It's not "nothing," but it's not really too big of a deal, either.

THE tsunami that we all remember caused most of its damage to third-world countries in the southeast pacific archipelagos. Poverty played a pretty big role in that disaster, which Japan doesn't have to worry too much about.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk