Week 19 GC: New England @ San Diego - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 19 GC: New England @ San Diego

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby nameless1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:30 pm

SirDunkALot wrote:Why are people mad at LT?

Dude, he lost a game that he should've won by all accounts. He did EVERYTHING you could possibly ask for AND MORE.

It's the heat of the effing moment. You expect him to just take it while NE is celebrating on their field?

Sure, were his comments out of line? Most definetely. Classless? definetely. But, your lying right through your teeth and in denial if you wouldn't take offense to what the Pats did.

Exactly! I didn't favor one team over another here. But, you can't fault LT. He played a superb and pretty much flawless game. But his team lost a game they were expected to win because of stupid penalties most of which were boneheaded moves by his teammates. His coach (or OC) wouldn't give him the ball enough with the game on the line even though he was getting 6 yards a carry and over 30 a catch and even though his qb was completing less than half his passes. The chargers had just missed a field goal (albeit a long one) that would have sent the game into overtime. And then in front of 80,000 devastated live fans (and millions on tv), for whom he is the face of the franchise, one of the patriots mocks arguably their second best player (and I'd assume LT's friend) after an off-game for him.

I don't know how you could expect him to show more class than that. The coach comment was unwarranted and one i'd expect him to retract if it's brought up to him later, but considering what just happened im surprised that's the worst he said.

The patriots should have been thanking their luck for barely getting a win instead of showing off. That was alot less classy and more disrespectful than what LT said. And definitely motivated me to hope they get slaughtered against the Colts (and I'm not even a chargers fan.)
nameless1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:37 pm

nameless1 wrote:
SirDunkALot wrote:Why are people mad at LT?

Dude, he lost a game that he should've won by all accounts. He did EVERYTHING you could possibly ask for AND MORE.

It's the heat of the effing moment. You expect him to just take it while NE is celebrating on their field?

Sure, were his comments out of line? Most definetely. Classless? definetely. But, your lying right through your teeth and in denial if you wouldn't take offense to what the Pats did.

Exactly! I didn't favor one team over another here. But, you can't fault LT. He played a superb and pretty much flawless game. But his team lost a game they were expected to win because of stupid penalties most of which were boneheaded moves by his teammates. His coach (or OC) wouldn't give him the ball enough with the game on the line even though he was getting 6 yards a carry and over 30 a catch and even though his qb was completing less than half his passes. The chargers had just missed a field goal (albeit a long one) that would have sent the game into overtime. And then in front of 80,000 devastated live fans (and millions on tv), for whom he is the face of the franchise, one of the patriots mocks arguably their second best player (and I'd assume LT's friend) after an off-game for him.

I don't know how you could expect him to show more class than that. The coach comment was unwarranted and one i'd expect him to retract if it's brought up to him later, but considering what just happened im surprised that's the worst he said.

The patriots should have been thanking their luck for barely getting a win instead of showing off. That was alot less classy and more disrespectful than what LT said. And definitely motivated me to hope they get slaughtered against the Colts (and I'm not even a chargers fan.)

Do we actually have footage of the Patriots mocking Merriman? We are basically just going on LT's word. I was at the game and didnt see the celebration mocking Merriman as I was focused on LT running off the field.

And its not like SD was classy this game. LT did show off going into the endzone by slowing down before he went into the endzone and the headbutt was unnecessary on Watson.

The Pats deserve to celebrate - they won this game and SD played not to lose. Great game plan and great execution. Brady has one of his worst games and they find a way to win. That makes me confident as a fan.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Crippler wrote:Thats what San Diego gets for employing low-character idiots and paying them millions of dollars when they probably dont have the brains to pass the 5th grade.

4th down and long with an 8 point lead, what do you do as a charger when the ball is thrown your direction? Bat it down and take over posession to pad your lead? NO. Intercept the ball and hit the ground or run out of bounds to virtually put the game away? NO. Of course you intercept the ball and try to run it backfor absolutely no reason, without even protecting the ball. Thats how complete morons lose the season for their team.

3rd and long, you are winning the game and you team has just made a CRUCIAL stop and will get the ball back to take control of the game and pad your lead. What do you do if you have at least a 10 year old's brain? Nothing. What do you do if you're a Charger being paid millions of dollars? You stand up, walk over to a Patriot, and headbutt them for no reason, throwing away your entire season because you had to throw your little tantrum to show everyone what a badass you are.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

I'm glad the Chargers lost, they deserved everything they got.

If you see the ball coming at you and you think you have a chance to run it back for a touchdown, I just don't know how you wouldn't intercept it. It was an unlucky break, but I think any other player in the NFL would have picked it off too as opposed to knocking it down. He threw it right to him, so why not pick it off and try to score? The chances of him fumbling it were slim to none... but he did somehow...
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby evil_monkey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Do we actually have footage of the Patriots mocking Merriman? We are basically just going on LT's word. I was at the game and didnt see the celebration mocking Merriman as I was focused on LT running off the field.

I did not see it during the game, if anyone knows of a video that has it, please throw the link up, i would like to see which pats were doing it
evil_monkey
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Morrison8312 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:32 pm

evil_monkey wrote:

I did not see it during the game, if anyone knows of a video that has it, please throw the link up, i would like to see which pats were doing it

I did see Vrable doing it for a split second on CBS but I wouldn't know where to find the footage.

LT needs to chill. Merriman had it coming with all that has gone on with him this season. He knocked Brady down and still did his stupid dance.
Morrison8312
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SirDunkALot » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:46 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
Crippler wrote:Thats what San Diego gets for employing low-character idiots and paying them millions of dollars when they probably dont have the brains to pass the 5th grade.

4th down and long with an 8 point lead, what do you do as a charger when the ball is thrown your direction? Bat it down and take over posession to pad your lead? NO. Intercept the ball and hit the ground or run out of bounds to virtually put the game away? NO. Of course you intercept the ball and try to run it backfor absolutely no reason, without even protecting the ball. Thats how complete morons lose the season for their team.

3rd and long, you are winning the game and you team has just made a CRUCIAL stop and will get the ball back to take control of the game and pad your lead. What do you do if you have at least a 10 year old's brain? Nothing. What do you do if you're a Charger being paid millions of dollars? You stand up, walk over to a Patriot, and headbutt them for no reason, throwing away your entire season because you had to throw your little tantrum to show everyone what a badass you are.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

I'm glad the Chargers lost, they deserved everything they got.

If you see the ball coming at you and you think you have a chance to run it back for a touchdown, I just don't know how you wouldn't intercept it. It was an unlucky break, but I think any other player in the NFL would have picked it off too as opposed to knocking it down. He threw it right to him, so why not pick it off and try to score? The chances of him fumbling it were slim to none... but he did somehow...

Exactly. You can't fault Marlon McRee. It was a GREAT play by Troy Brown. 1 out of 100 the chances of that happening are slim to none. It's very easy to say, oh "knock it down". I bet all of us would've liked to replay it of that was the case. McRee takes that back to the house, and that's the dagger ala Champ Bailey style. If Mcree takes that back for a pick six, I know none of you are saying, man, he should've fell down.

I mean, it was a freak play. Unfortunately, these things happen. Wrong place at the wrong time.

And did Merriman deserve it? probably. That lights out dance is annoying, btw. With that said, if you don't mind NE doing it, then there's no reason why you should be mad with what LT said. Again, heat of the moment, and they did it basically at midfield.

And again, your lying if you wouldn't have said the same things LT said if that happened to you at your home field.
Last edited by SirDunkALot on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirDunkALot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Schottenheimer needs to be fired. He's an excellent regular season coach, but you pay coaches to win Super Bowls, and Marty has proven consistently that he isn't capable of doing that.

Also, why didn't LT get more touches? He was destroying the Pats' defense all day, and he only got 23 carries and 2 receptions. Someone had to realize this and get LT more touches.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby APAP » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:08 pm

You can't fault LT for being mad, admittedly. But it just comes off as sounding jealous to complain about players doing a dance. It's a DANCE. Is it really any different than Vrabel doing TO's Eagle wing flap thing in the endzone two SBs ago????? No it isn't. Merriman had this coming with the way he has been talking, and the way he didn't show up against the Pats on Sunday.
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 pm

no knocking it down is a fundamental mistake when the game can be wrapped up like that. Heck even in the normal course of a game, you shouldn't do it, because of the field position implications.

I can understand how the PLAYER would do it, because its instinctual, but the coaching staff should at least be reiterating it.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:45 pm

APAP wrote:You can't fault LT for being mad, admittedly. But it just comes off as sounding jealous to complain about players doing a dance. It's a DANCE. Is it really any different than Vrabel doing TO's Eagle wing flap thing in the endzone two SBs ago????? No it isn't. Merriman had this coming with the way he has been talking, and the way he didn't show up against the Pats on Sunday.

Exactly. What goes around comes around.

The play of the game for him was nearly jumping offside and tweaking his knee.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting