OK tell me again why Andy Reid is great - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

OK tell me again why Andy Reid is great

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby EagleFan68 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 pm

mrblitz wrote:
fantasizing wrote:I don't care if its 4th and 15. You must go for it with just under 2 minutes left in the game. That was an absolutely retarded call by the Eagles.

Couldn't agree more. That was my only complaint. Otherwise, we just got beat by the better team yesterday.

You have no complaints with the play calling with 2&1 to go at the New Orleans 6. Then they pass on 3rd & 1 ?
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 am

well the spots were pretty bad.

At the time, I understood the punt logic. Then again, I had several beers, wine and some touchdown shots. So that should be a clue.

I mean punting seems to have a logic, you could force a fumble, stop them, etc.

But I think TMQ is absoloutely right--punting is freaking dumb. The best case scenario (other than an unlikely turnover) is stopping them and getting the ball back. Only problem is, if you stop them, you get the ball back in roughly the same field position, but just with no timeouts and less time on the clock.

Factor int he eagles d was not stopping the run allnight, its stupid. Go for it, and if you miss, you can still go for the stop. That would have been a long field goal attempt on the stop, and you still have a chance to win it with a td.

It seemed like he punted away inititative for no reason.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Re: OK tell me again why Andy Reid is great

Postby danleroi22 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
EagleFan68 wrote:He is the WORST coach in the league at time management and making huge decisions.

He gives the ball away when it is obvious to the entire world that he is not getting it back because his team can't stop the run even if they know where and when the other team is running.

Andy is just the coach. And a damn good one. He has nothing to do with stopping the run. The players do. They sucked at it all year. Why would you think things would be different here?

Lets be honest. You guys played well and did some things noone expected but you were not a SB team.

100% right.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:13 pm

danleroi22 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
EagleFan68 wrote:He is the WORST coach in the league at time management and making huge decisions.

He gives the ball away when it is obvious to the entire world that he is not getting it back because his team can't stop the run even if they know where and when the other team is running.

Andy is just the coach. And a damn good one. He has nothing to do with stopping the run. The players do. They sucked at it all year. Why would you think things would be different here?

Lets be honest. You guys played well and did some things noone expected but you were not a SB team.

100% right.

Yeah blaming it on the coach is definitley not the thing to do in this situation. Andy Reid is not the reason why the Eagles lost, its the fact that the defense couldn't make a stop if their life depended on it... Reid isn't the one out there making plays

(even though I bet if you put big Andy out there at some defensive tackle he could wreak havoc)
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EagleFan68 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:37 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:

100% right.

Yeah blaming it on the coach is definitley not the thing to do in this situation. Andy Reid is not the reason why the Eagles lost, its the fact that the defense couldn't make a stop if their life depended on it... Reid isn't the one out there making plays

Really now?

Well if EVERY SINGLE PERSON watching the game knew the Eagles couldn't stop the run...

Then why was he the ONLY PERSON IN AMERICA that thought his defense would stop the run?

He made yet another poor decision that cost his team the game when he punted and gave New Orleans the ball.

You need to use common sense

All the Saints needed was 1 first down to end the game

The Eagles defense only forced ONE 3 & OUT the entire game, and that was the series before Bush's fumble when the Saints for the only time all night passed on all 3 downs.

OK, you go for it on 4th & 15 and don't get it, what happens?
1) The Saints get a First down and the game is over

2) The Saints get the ball on the Eagles 44.
Ok if the Eagles stop them and the Saints at best get 9 yards, have a choice between a 53 yard FG attempt or to pooch punt it. Considering the risk, if they miss the FG they would give the Eagles good field position, they would probably pooch punt.

Then the Eagles would get the ball back at about the 10-20 with no time outs and needing to get in FG range.
[b]QB's [/b] E. MANNING / KITNA / CUTLER
[b]RBs[/b] R BROWN / WESTBROOK (R BUSH / MCGAHEE / L BETTS / D WILLIAMS )
[b]WRs[/b] ROY WILLIAMS / T OWENS / A JOHNSON / BERRIAN
[b]TE[/b] WITTEN / WATSON
[b]K[/b] GRAHAM
[b]DT[/b] PANTHERS
EagleFan68
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:43 pm

Thursday wrote:Eh, just a good example of what the Eagles truly are. Why punt in the late 4th quarter? What could they possibly gain? There is NO next week in the playoffs. I really don't think the Eagles are anywhere near as good as everyone makes them out to be.

Sorry for coming late to the dance but I completely disagree. They weren't even expected to make the playoffs before the season started so I'd say that they did well. Don't they have the highest or 2nd highest paid DC in the league?? Let him earn his $$.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:51 pm

EagleFan68 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:

100% right.

Really now?

Well if EVERY SINGLE PERSON watching the game knew the Eagles couldn't stop the run...

Then why was he the ONLY PERSON IN AMERICA that thought his defense would stop the run?

He made yet another poor decision that cost his team the game when he punted and gave New Orleans the ball.

You need to use common sense

All the Saints needed was 1 first down to end the game

The Eagles defense only forced ONE 3 & OUT the entire game, and that was the series before Bush's fumble when the Saints for the only time all night passed on all 3 downs.

OK, you go for it on 4th & 15 and don't get it, what happens?
1) The Saints get a First down and the game is over

2) The Saints get the ball on the Eagles 44.
Ok if the Eagles stop them and the Saints at best get 9 yards, have a choice between a 53 yard FG attempt or to pooch punt it. Considering the risk, if they miss the FG they would give the Eagles good field position, they would probably pooch punt.

Then the Eagles would get the ball back at about the 10-20 with no time outs and needing to get in FG range.

The chances of them converting that 4th and 15 were very slim... If they didn't get it, then even if they did stop the Saints they would get the ball deep in their own territory with very little chance to even get to field goal range. Punt the ball and hope for a stop, and you actually have a chance. Andy Reid was playing the odds. He knew he probably wasnt going to convert on 4th and 15, so he punted the ball and hoped for the best, because he knew if he didnt get the first down, the game was pretty much over.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesrule » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:53 pm

they weren't expected to make the playoffs? Well to maybe some of the media, but people who really knew, the eagles were a contender. I don't think that is much of an excuse. after donovan went down? Well, that is a different story.

Maybe its homerism or whatever, but the reality was, the giants totally struggled beating a decimated eagles team in 2005, and they won the division. And the skins had a tough time too.
Considering the division got two wins against the eagles, it followed the next year that the rest of the team wouldn't have an easy go of it.

I think the league is onto JJ, this rush defense has been an issue for a while. used to be though, that the eagles kept points off-and that's what ultimately matters. But now that jhasn't been happening, and the offense, while very good, isn't jumping out to 14 point leads. So, the rush d is becoming a very big problem. As for the call, I understand the logic, but the eagles weren't stopping naything that day. Keep the inittiative.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:44 pm

eaglesrule wrote:they weren't expected to make the playoffs? Well to maybe some of the media, but people who really knew, the eagles were a contender. I don't think that is much of an excuse. after donovan went down? Well, that is a different story.

Maybe its homerism or whatever, but the reality was, the giants totally struggled beating a decimated eagles team in 2005, and they won the division. And the skins had a tough time too.
Considering the division got two wins against the eagles, it followed the next year that the rest of the team wouldn't have an easy go of it.

I think the league is onto JJ, this rush defense has been an issue for a while. used to be though, that the eagles kept points off-and that's what ultimately matters. But now that jhasn't been happening, and the offense, while very good, isn't jumping out to 14 point leads. So, the rush d is becoming a very big problem. As for the call, I understand the logic, but the eagles weren't stopping naything that day. Keep the inittiative.

I think that, in the least, they exceeded expectations slightly. They were in the best division in football and won it with a 10-6 record. They also got to the 2nd round of the playoffs. All things considered, especially losing their franchise ( :-° ) QB, I would say that they had a very nice season.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:15 pm

Eagles did a great job this year after McNabb went down. Kudos to Reid for running the ball more....

However, punting that ball on 4th-and-15 was one of the worst coaching decisions of the year, and its not even close. What would they have gained by punting if they stopped the Saints? Maybe 30 yards of field position? and that's assuming they make a stop. Chances of that were what, 10 percent maybe?

Much more worth it to go for the first down...if you don't get it, so what? you give up a few yards of field position. However, in the off chance you do get it, you save yourself 2 TO and 30 seconds, and are very close to at least tying, if now winning, the game.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting