Martin Luther King Jr. - I have a dream... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Martin Luther King Jr. - I have a dream...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:39 pm

Atog wrote:I'm more than a little sad that these are all of the replies that the MLK thread gets.

MLK was, without a doubt, one of the greatest men to have lived in the 20th century.


"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."


Deep in my heart, I do believe that we shall overcome one day.


that quote is amazing.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2131
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago.

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:40 pm

dream_017 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Something that I’ve always thought was funny in an odd way – I grew up with a lot of casual racism, mostly directed towards Blacks. We had a black car when I was a kid, and the name we gave it is pretty insensitively racist. We called Brazil Nuts by a racist slur, too. It was just how I grew up and I didn’t know any better. I’m sure my mom knew what those names really meant, but knowing her as I know her now (as an adult) I know she’s not racist. The times were different, and she probably felt it was more of a joke than anything. She never taught me to think of myself different because of race.

But here’s the funny thing – even though I grew up in an environment of very casual racism, there were NO other races in my town, just a bunch of White people. Because of that I never learned to attach any of that crap to any “kind” of person. It was just there. As I grew up the world changed and so did my parents’ attitude towards that stuff. My mom got a job in Omaha and actually started working with people of other races so that kind of talk stopped. It wasn’t until I got older that I realized how racist some of that stuff was, and I was kind of embarrassed for my parents for that.

It was a different time, so while that doesn’t make it right it makes it more understandable. We’ve all come a long way since then, and I think that if I were ever to talk to my mom about those names she’d be pretty embarrassed today.


I could have written pretty much the same story about me. We are about the same age and I think, like you said, it has a lot to do with the times.


Me too, right down to the "name" for Brazil Nuts. It's sad that those kinda comments were just tossed around then, but that's the way it was.

That said, my dad was a bigot. Of course he was also a mean drunk and a raging a*****e, so his belief system was never something I cared to emulate.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:51 pm

knapplc wrote:I have a theory that if we ignore race, it’s not an issue. Racism is taught, not instinctual.


I disagree. I think that it is instinctual to a certain degree. I think it's human nature for people to dislike people that are different from themselves. Also, stereotypes exist for a reason. If I see a big foot truck with a confederate flag license plate, I'm going to assume that the person driving it is an ignorant hick. Am I wrong for assuming this? Well, if I've met 10 people driving big foot trucks with confederate flags and 9 of them ended up being ignorant hicks, how am I wrong for jumping to this conclusion? Isn't it just a conditioned response? I personally don't think you have any control over how you feel, but what you do have control over is how you act. As long as you don't act on your preconceived notions and are fair across the board, than in my opinion you're not doing anything wrong. It's all about tolerance. Most people will never admit it, but I think everyone judges others based on past experiences. As I said before, it's human nature.

Don't believe me? What would go through your head if you were on an airplane an an Arabic man started praying to Allah?
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:54 pm

They are building a Memorial to King in Washington - they are asking for contributions - for as little as $5 you can support this cause. I may be a Canadian but I'll contribute - King and what he stood for deserves to be memorialized for all to see. For more info, go to:
http://www.mlkmemorial.org/

Image
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have a theory that if we ignore race, it’s not an issue. Racism is taught, not instinctual.


In a perfect world, this would be great, but the problem is that if we ("we" being the conscientious, non-racist segment of the population) ignore it, it won't go away. The people who would actually ignore it are the ones who don't need to because it already isn't an issue for them, so if they start to ignore it, then the racists are able to have a much larger influence.

In that quote I’m speaking specifically of my home, not in society in general. At home I will ignore race. A man is a man is a man, and the more I practice that, the more my child will learn it.

In society of course we all have to man the wall and do our part to stamp out discrimination. I doubt we ever truly do, but it’s a worthy goal that I’m personally striving for every day.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:04 pm

the speeches posted in this thread are great, thanks for posting them. it's sort of weird hearing political figures talking about love and compassion and forgiveness so openly. we dont hear that type of honesty anymore.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2131
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago.

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:10 pm

My folks never used racist slurs and pro-actively taught us that being 'prejudiced' was unacceptible. I grew up in Anchorage. There were two military bases (Army and Air Force) right there next to town. As it was, most of the black families were military. So my impression growing up was very positive.

But then you grow up and realize that not everybody has the same experience. I love MLK!! He said to judge a person by the strength of their charactor, not the color of their skin. It is so unfortunate that there is such a crime problem in the inner-cities of America, because it taints so many people to be anti-black or anti-Hispanic or whatever.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.


Yes MLK... I too have that dream. God rest your soul.
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:36 pm

knapplc wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have a theory that if we ignore race, it’s not an issue. Racism is taught, not instinctual.


In a perfect world, this would be great, but the problem is that if we ("we" being the conscientious, non-racist segment of the population) ignore it, it won't go away. The people who would actually ignore it are the ones who don't need to because it already isn't an issue for them, so if they start to ignore it, then the racists are able to have a much larger influence.

In that quote I’m speaking specifically of my home, not in society in general. At home I will ignore race. A man is a man is a man, and the more I practice that, the more my child will learn it.

In society of course we all have to man the wall and do our part to stamp out discrimination. I doubt we ever truly do, but it’s a worthy goal that I’m personally striving for every day.


while i inherently agree with you regarding the princpal of a man is a man. I also hold the value of racisim isn't bad, i see it as a recognition of all races, what is bad, is discrimination, biggotry, hatred toward a race just because it's a race you don't like.
you can not like someone who happens to be black but at the same time you shouldn't hate the entire race because of one person.
I don't think our perfect world, man is a man theory, will ever happend as long as we have to identify our selves on applications of all kinds when asked what race you are and what gender you are.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:16 pm

jayday wrote:
josebach wrote:He was a very brave man who was extremely important in the civil rights movement, but he was also extremely unpopular and even hated among the religious right. He was an admitted socialist and a lot of people even thought he was a communist. I'd be very curious to see how he would be viewed today if he wasn't assassinated. :-?

That's a great point on all of that....And I don't think he would have near the legacy....I think his death may have actually done as much for the civil rights movement as he did himself....

Anyone up for conspiracy theories on who committed the assassination? ;-7


edit- stupid font size


I think that he would still be a universally recognized figure if he were alive today. Just look at Nelson Mandela. And please tell me that you know who Nelson Mandela is. :-o

Anyways, I can't expect this thread to survive much longer with MLK Day having passed, so I just wanted to suggest that we all try to live MLK's ideals of peace, courage, and nonviolence the other 364 days of the year as well. ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 4660
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 11 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ann Arbor

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:19 pm

[quote="stomperrob"]They are building a Memorial to King in Washington - they are asking for contributions - for as little as $5 you can support this cause. I may be a Canadian but I'll contribute - King and what he stood for deserves to be memorialized for all to see. For more info, go to:
http://www.mlkmemorial.org/


And be sure and check out this site and see the planned Memorial.
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:44 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact