The_Captain wrote:Anyway to increase the size of the image so the text is a bit more reader-friendly? I was squinting at the screen trying to read the article....
As you blow it up it blurrs it somewhat
Agreed - do you have an external link to the paper or website it was found at? If some of us with bad eyes can't read the image at least we might be able to see it better at a website - just a thought.
"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
Mod in Retirement
(Past Year: 29)
Joined: 8 Oct 2003
Yards this season: 0
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Lurking somewhere between here and there...
Laptop manufacturers were tight-lipped Friday about a Swedish man who allegedly burned his penis while using his portable computer.
The victim, a 50-year-old scientist, was so engrossed in writing a report that he ignored the hot sensation in his crotch until the next day when he noticed his privates had become red and irritated, according to a letter written by the physician who treated him in The Lancet, a British medical journal.
After a few days, the unnamed scientist's penis and scrotum was blistered. The blisters popped, became infected and generated an "extensive" amount of pus before scabbing over, wrote Claes-Goran Ostenson in the prestigious publication.
The incident "should be taken as a serious warning against the use of a laptop computer in a literal sense," warned Ostenson, who could not be reached for comment.
The case spawned a host of unanswered questions. How could a man -- who was dressed in "trousers and underpants" -- obtain such an injury after just one hour of laptop use? Will computer makers start warning consumers about the dangers of scorching their delicate parts? Have there been complaints by others who have similarly impaired their genitalia?
Calls to six top laptop makers regarding the penis-scorching incident were met with smirks.
"Uh ... are you serious?" asked a representative for a U.S. company, after a few hoots of laughter. "I'll have to, uh, get back to you on your, uh, questions...."
A spokesperson for an Asian computer maker quipped: "We certainly don't include warnings in our literature like, 'Please don't put it in your lap or that kind of thing,' if that's what you're asking."
Several other companies simply refused to return calls for information.
One thing is certain -- as portable computers become faster and more powerful -- they've also gotten hotter. Computer chips double in capacity every 18 months, and manufacturers are struggling to find ways to dissipate the heat they generate.
"The processor chip in the average laptop runs at about 158 to 167 degrees Fahrenheit," said Gregg Baldassarre, spokesman for Thermacore, a company that designs heat-regulating products for electronic devices. "Sure, I believe you could get a burn (from a laptop)."
So does Andrew McMillan, an IT consultant from Wellington, New Zealand. A few years ago, McMillan seared his bare knees with his machine. His solution? A trip to the lumber yard.
"I went and bought a piece of plywood to protect my legs," he said. "It was cheap and it suits me very well. I use it all the time, except when I travel."
Others were more skeptical about the idea of a computer-caused penis burn.
Marc Schnitman, who fixes computers at AK Laptop Repair in Woodland Hills, California, said he's never had a customer complain about anything remotely similar. In his seven years of experience, he's repaired machines that have overheated due to faulty fans, chips, thermoregulators and ventilation.
"Maybe he wasn't being completely honest with his physician," Schnitman said. "Maybe he didn't have his clothes on. Maybe he wasn't even using a computer ... people do all kinds of perverted things these days."