Technical advice needed!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

Technical advice needed!!!

Moderators: deluxe_247, Football Moderators

Technical advice needed!!!

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 am

I'm trying to put together some new avatars. I downloaded several photo's I wanted to use but all of them were slighty over the max 80 x 80 pixels (but all were close, within 20-30 pixels or so). All of them were well under the 6 kB limit. I'm technologically handicapped, so I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I take the pictures and open them with Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006 Editor and reduce the size to at least 79 pixels, but suddenly the kB doubles or evens triples or quadruples so I still can't use the photo. Why if I'm reducing the size is the kB increasing so drastically???
Thanks.
Last edited by stomperrob on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:10 am

The best way to size it to 80x80 without losing much size is to crop it to 80x80, if u wanna send me the photo i can do it for you.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:56 pm

I always start by cropping it if possible and then reducing it, but that's not the problem - I don't understand why the kB goes up as the size goes down??? For example:

I start with the pic below which is too big at 71 x 108 pixels, but it's only 2.42 kB, so I resize it

I come up with the right dimensions at 46 x 79 pixels, but now it's suddenly 7.63 kB so I still can't use it. What gives??? (as I said, I'm technologically handicapped, lol)
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:48 pm

Which program did you say you were using?

When you save it, make sure to down the quality a few notches.

If u want more help on how to do it, let me know....if your just looking for the image resized, here ya go...

Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Alkaholik wrote:Which program did you say you were using?

If u want more help on how to do it, let me know....if your just looking for the image resized, here ya go...

Program is in the first post. How do I down the quality? And thanx - what you did is perfect - why am I screwing it up so bad???
stomperrob

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:21 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:Which program did you say you were using?

Program is in the first post. How do I down the quality? And thanx - what you did is perfect - why am I screwing it up so bad???

I would have to use the program to know for sure, but I imagine what you could do is when you go to save it, see if there is a button for more option or "advanced" in the save as... dialog box. If so, it should open up a new area of the window with a slider to select the quality. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests