Any Java Programmers? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Any Java Programmers?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Any Java Programmers?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:10 pm

I am starting an intro to Java Programming course in college and I needed some quick advice. Which is the best Java editor in you opinion. I have the option of choosing jEdit, jCreator LE, jGRASP, or Sun ONE Studio 4. Is one better than another or does it matter? I want to get started on a good one so I don't try and switch down the line. ;-D

Thanks for your help guys. :-)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Any Java Programmers?

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I am starting an intro to Java Programming course in college and I needed some quick advice. Which is the best Java editor in you opinion. I have the option of choosing jEdit, jCreator LE, jGRASP, or Sun ONE Studio 4. Is one better than another or does it matter? I want to get started on a good one so I don't try and switch down the line. ;-D

My company does Java programming and I believe they use jEdit. I will try to confirm
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Re: Any Java Programmers?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:35 pm

dream_017 wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I am starting an intro to Java Programming course in college and I needed some quick advice. Which is the best Java editor in you opinion. I have the option of choosing jEdit, jCreator LE, jGRASP, or Sun ONE Studio 4. Is one better than another or does it matter? I want to get started on a good one so I don't try and switch down the line. ;-D

My company does Java programming and I believe they use jEdit. I will try to confirm

Thanks, I would appreciate it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Nah but I can make a mean cup of java! :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:56 pm

when i was coding, i used microsoft visual studio. it was solid. or visual j++ 6.0

if alkaholik was around i'm sure he could help you out. or even josebach. they're both programmers.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:35 pm

moonhead wrote:when i was coding, i used microsoft visual studio. it was solid. or visual j++ 6.0

if alkaholik was around i'm sure he could help you out. or even josebach. they're both programmers.

I've messed around with Java a few times, but all of my programming is done primarily in either PL/SQL stored procedures or in a 4GL language called Uniface. I like programming, but I don't like it enough to do it in my free time, which means the only programming languages I learn are the ones I have to. Eventually, we'll be doing a re-write in a web based platform, so maybe then I'll be able to help you.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby jayday » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:59 pm

I use Textpad, it's clear, and easy to use....But mostly because it's free....I'm taking my second Java course in college this quarter....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:06 pm

jayday wrote:I use Textpad, it's clear, and easy to use....But mostly because it's free....I'm taking my second Java course in college this quarter....

Yeah, all the programs I mentioned are free with my textbook. ;-D

But form what I have read, jEdit is the best and it is free online as well. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby moonhead » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:07 pm

josebach wrote:
moonhead wrote:when i was coding, i used microsoft visual studio. it was solid. or visual j++ 6.0

I've messed around with Java a few times, but all of my programming is done primarily in either PL/SQL stored procedures or in a 4GL language called Uniface. I like programming, but I don't like it enough to do it in my free time, which means the only programming languages I learn are the ones I have to. Eventually, we'll be doing a re-write in a web based platform, so maybe then I'll be able to help you.

i personally always preferred dealing with DBs. I am considering getting a certification or two. I was pretty good in SQL when i was doing it a few years ago. what certs do you have, or would you recommend? i'm looking at oracle 10 or 9. not sure exactly what i want to do yet. but at some point i would like to be a DBA.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:40 pm

moonhead wrote:
josebach wrote:

i personally always preferred dealing with DBs. I am considering getting a certification or two. I was pretty good in SQL when i was doing it a few years ago. what certs do you have, or would you recommend? i'm looking at oracle 10 or 9. not sure exactly what i want to do yet. but at some point i would like to be a DBA.

We're on Oracle 9i. Where I design any database changes our application uses including table/column names, indexes and constraints, we have a separate database group that actually implements those changes. I know a lot about relational databases, but from a developer's perspective, not a DBA's.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk