Woman Dies From Water Intoxication - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Woman Dies From Water Intoxication

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mrblitz » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Never knew you could die from that. I bet when it comes down to it, who ever is charged will get off, on the same premise.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby petedog9 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm

onnestabe wrote:I don't see how you can reasonably expect the radio station to know about the dangers of drinking too much water and not hold the victim to the same standard..

Listen to the audio link of the contest. A lady even called in and warned them and their response was, "They signed a waiver" and made a joke out of it. They knew of the risk.. Just an unfortunate series of very bad decisions made by all parties involved... The Sherrif is not going to pursue criminal action as it has been declare a voluntary action by the contestant but you can bet your arse that they will get hammerred on a civil level...

H20 intoxication around these parts is pretty well known because of the death at Chico State not long ago......
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby onnestabe » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:06 pm

petedog9 wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I don't see how you can reasonably expect the radio station to know about the dangers of drinking too much water and not hold the victim to the same standard..

Listen to the audio link of the contest. A lady even called in and warned them and their response was, "They signed a waiver" and made a joke out of it. They knew of the risk.. Just an unfortunate series of very bad decisions made by all parties involved... The Sherrif is not going to pursue criminal action as it has been declare a voluntary action by the contestant but you can bet your arse that they will get hammerred on a civil level...

H20 intoxication around these parts is pretty well known because of the death at Chico State not long ago......

Oh wow. I didn't realize someone warned them before they did it. They will almost certainly be facing some civil liability then.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Popcynical » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:15 pm

Wow... listening to the radio excerpts and knowing the end result.. it sucked listening to that.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 pm

That is incredibly sad. The worse thing is I heard a story about a guy who died doing this in a hazing accident just a few days ago. :-t
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:47 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:That is incredibly sad. The worse thing is I heard a story about a guy who died doing this in a hazing accident just a few days ago. :-t

Yeah I posted a little bit of an article about that up there ^^^.

Of all the things to die from, you'd think water wouldn't be one of them - short of drowning.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:49 pm

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:That is incredibly sad. The worse thing is I heard a story about a guy who died doing this in a hazing accident just a few days ago. :-t

Of all the things to die from, you'd think water wouldn't be one of them - short of drowning.

Yeah, I am wondering if they really have any leagal ground to sue on. First off, if they signed a waiver, then there is NOOOOO legal ground. Even if they didn't, they didn't force anybody to do it or anything. Not saying it was right, just saying I don't think anybody will be able to jack the station out of a ton of money. :-?
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:53 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Yeah, I am wondering if they really have any leagal ground to sue on. First off, if they signed a waiver, then there is NOOOOO legal ground. Even if they didn't, they didn't force anybody to do it or anything. Not saying it was right, just saying I don't think anybody will be able to jack the station out of a ton of money. :-?

Don't say it's impossible. OJ got off. ;-)

The waiver makes it hard, but if they weren't told explicitly what they were going to do and/or the dangers weren't explained to them, which I'm sure they weren't since next to nobody knows about this stuff, the station doesn't get off scot free.

I deal with waivers once in a while here at the office. About half of them aren't worth the paper they're printed on because they were administered wrong, the signee wasn't given time to do due diligence on the document, etc.

That waiver won't protect them, and in the Ninth Circuit I'm guessing they'll be able to find a judge with a sympathetic ear. And the family may not even have to pay a dime in legal fees.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:19 pm

It seems like every year, some shock jock DJ in some city gets fired for pulling some stupid stunt. Unfortunate that this incident resulted in a death.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I think there was a police officer who died because he drank too much water during a bike ride sometime in the past year or so (can't remember exactly when). Who knew you could drink too much water?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk