North Korea's Answer to Famine - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

North Korea's Answer to Famine

Moderator: Football Moderators

North Korea's Answer to Famine

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Giant German Bunny Rabbits.

From FOX News:

North Korea Seeks Giant Rabbits for Meat Production to Alleviate Food Shortage

Friday, January 12, 2007

BERLIN — A German pensioner who won a prize and worldwide fame for breeding his country’s largest rabbit — Robert, a 10.5kg (23lb) bruiser the size of a dog — has been offered an unusual opportunity to exploit his talents overseas.

Karl Szmolinsky has been given a contract by North Korea to supply giant rabbits to help to boost meat production in the reclusive Communist country, which is suffering severe food shortages. The only problem is that such huge rabbits consume vast quantities of food themselves as they grow.

Szmolinsky, from Eberswalde, in the east of Germany, was contacted by the North Korean Embassy in Berlin in October after Robert attracted press coverage. “They want to boost meat production. They’ve arranged for me to go to Pyongyang in April to advise them on setting up a breeding farm,” Szmolinsky, who is 68 next month, told The Times.

He breeds German gray giants, which are among the world’s biggest rabbits, and sells his annual crop of 60 to 80 to other breeders in Germany. He said that an attaché at the embassy came to his home and asked to see his rabbits. The diplomat was so impressed that he placed an order for eight females and four males, which were shipped to North Korea a few weeks later.

Robert was among the first consignment. “I don’t know how many more they want and whether I’ll be getting any more orders,” Szmolinsky said.

He has also received a request for rabbits from a Chinese buyer. He said he believed that the monster bunny program — one rabbit yields 7kg (15lb) of meat — was aimed at feeding the North Korean people rather than the “Dear Leader”, Kim Jong Il, who is said to favor lobster.

The embassy in Berlin could not be reached for comment, but the state-run news agency reported in September that people were being encouraged to breed rabbits for food.

Szmolinsky’s 12 rabbits, which are awaiting his arrival at a petting zoo in Pyongyang, could produce 60 babies in a year. They are unlikely to alleviate the chronic malnutrition endemic in the country of 23 million that drew condemnation when it announced a nuclear test last year.

The rabbits are also voracious eaters, which is why Szmolinsky said that he would not be boosting his own annual production because feeding them would be too expensive.

Ya might need a bigger gun Knapp. :-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:57 pm

I was expecting cannibalism.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:58 pm

holy cow, what an animal!!!!
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 pm

mmmm bunny stew :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm

What a messed up country. That's all there is to say about this.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby APAP » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:48 pm

That's crazy. Imagine getting a call at your house from the North Korean embassy......
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby PACKman1144 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:26 pm

They'll be nuked off the face of the earth before they even get close enough to having enough rabbits :-b
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Re: North Korea's Answer to Famine

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:Giant German Bunny Rabbits.

Gosh darn it, Kilroy!!! That was going to be my next Germany or Florida!!!!!!!! :,-( :,-( :,-( :~( :~( :~(
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: North Korea's Answer to Famine

Postby Kilroy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:37 pm

knapplc wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:Giant German Bunny Rabbits.

Gosh darn it, Kilroy!!! That was going to be my next Germany or Florida!!!!!!!! :,-( :,-( :,-( :~( :~( :~(

:-/

Couldn't help it man. My sister mentioned "giant rabbits" and you were the first person I thought of.

:-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Tiki » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:57 pm

he ain't got nothing on Bugs.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk