Jeff Samardzija to play Baseball - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Jeff Samardzija to play Baseball

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:49 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
jayday wrote:Someone will still take a flyer on him late in the draft.....

That's 100% correct. Just like the Cowboys did a few years back with Drew Henson someone will draft him so they have the rights to him. If not this year, then in the near future, especially if he takes awhile to get to the MLB.

He probably wont jump though. I dont know how long the stipulation is for, but his mlb contract states that if he decides to play football, he has to pay back the 10 mil.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
CC wrote:This is a Drew Henson type situation, except Henson was the better prospect in both sports. I think the Shark will regret this, you get to the big leagues a lot faster in football than you do in baseball.

I think this is a smart move on his part. Basball is guaranteed money football isnt. I think he might have been a late 1st rounder / early 2nd. That would not be that much money. He would have to succeed then get the big cash when he becomes a FA. Not to mention the hits, concussions, injuries you take when playing football. Get hurt and you can get dropped in a heartbeat with no income.

At least he guaranteed himself 10 million less taxes. And if he is that good then he will still make a ton.

He was a fifth round pick in the draft last year. Played with the Cubs Single A team during last summer.

Yeah I'm sure someone will pick him like they did Henson in the draft.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:48 pm

killiansjmd wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:
CC wrote:This is a Drew Henson type situation, except Henson was the better prospect in both sports. I think the Shark will regret this, you get to the big leagues a lot faster in football than you do in baseball.

I think this is a smart move on his part. Basball is guaranteed money football isnt. I think he might have been a late 1st rounder / early 2nd. That would not be that much money. He would have to succeed then get the big cash when he becomes a FA. Not to mention the hits, concussions, injuries you take when playing football. Get hurt and you can get dropped in a heartbeat with no income.

At least he guaranteed himself 10 million less taxes. And if he is that good then he will still make a ton.

He was a fifth round pick in the draft last year. Played with the Cubs Single A team during last summer.

Yeah I'm sure someone will pick him like they did Henson in the draft.

I heard he would've been a 1st round pick if he didn't play football.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football