Give Out Your Gameball - Conference Championship Sunday - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Give Out Your Gameball - Conference Championship Sunday

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:39 am

AFC - Manning. Great game. Good comeback. Way to not fold down 21-3.

NFC - Desmond Clark. The unsung hero of the NFC Championship game. Clark had a number of key blocks on key runs that either got critical first downs or sprung TD runs. Blocking isn't sexy and it doesn't get much press, but without those plays the Bears may not have won this one.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm

Yeah, how about we give Reggie Bush the game ball after he made a great play and then turned that great play into a way to showboat and show his arrogant side.

Other than that one play, he didn't do anything all game. Why on earth would you give him the game ball?
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:Yeah, how about we give Reggie Bush the game ball after he made a great play and then turned that great play into a way to showboat and show his arrogant side.

Other than that one play, he didn't do anything all game. Why on earth would you give him the game ball?

Just goes to show his popularity with the public. :-/
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:57 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
FBBVirgin wrote:Yeah, how about we give Reggie Bush the game ball after he made a great play and then turned that great play into a way to showboat and show his arrogant side.

Absolutely. All season, the media was trying SO hard to find good plays so that they could glorify him. It was so common on sportscenter to have the Saints highlights come one, they show one good run he had. Forget about Colston or Deuce or anyone else that played the ENTIRE game well, lets see a highlight of Bush's one positive play.

NOW, in no way am I denying his potential. He's going to evolve into one heck of a player, but let's not induct him into the hall just yet.

There are several rookies that have been much more impressive in their NFL debut season.
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joe bass » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:

Goes to show his popularity w/ what is hopefully a very small % of the public. I mean, how do you give a gameball to anyone from a team that lost in a rout.

That's right, it was a rout - 39-14. If there are multiple game balls to be given out for the game, and Bush had single-handedly kept his team in a close game by scoring 2,3,4 touchdowns, then I can understand.

But the guy has one (1), as in a single, big play for (1), one, a single touchdown, when his team ended up losing by almost (4), four, many touchdowns.

So if there is one game ball, and deciding Not to give it to anyone from the winning team, but instead to chose Bush as the recipient of this hallowed, meaningless, blog-created from the ether honor, as meaningless as this is, it still doesn't make much sense.

Wait, maybe I'm missing something, oh yeah, he probably deserves the team ball because he did more sit-ups than the pepsi machine, and ran more stairs. Plus he has great endorsements. Oh, and there is that Destiny, and how much it means to the City of NO nonsense. Yeah, I must have missed all of that "feel good" emotion part of the judging there.

All that aside, that kid is a hell of player, and will only get better. Especially if he realizes that taunting the other team when you are still down 2pts, isn't being a "team player".
joe bass
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mrblitz » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 pm

In the AFC, Peyton. In the NFC, the Bears Defense.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FBBVirgin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:13 pm

joe bass wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Goes to show his popularity w/ what is hopefully a very small % of the public. I mean, how do you give a gameball to anyone from a team that lost in a rout.

That's right, it was a rout - 39-14. If there are multiple game balls to be given out for the game, and Bush had single-handedly kept his team in a close game by scoring 2,3,4 touchdowns, then I can understand.

But the guy has one (1), as in a single, big play for (1), one, a single touchdown, when his team ended up losing by almost (4), four, many touchdowns.

So if there is one game ball, and deciding Not to give it to anyone from the winning team, but instead to chose Bush as the recipient of this hallowed, meaningless, blog-created from the ether honor, as meaningless as this is, it still doesn't make much sense.

Wait, maybe I'm missing something, oh yeah, he probably deserves the team ball because he did more sit-ups than the pepsi machine, and ran more stairs. Plus he has great endorsements. Oh, and there is that Destiny, and how much it means to the City of NO nonsense. Yeah, I must have missed all of that "feel good" emotion part of the judging there.

All that aside, that kid is a hell of player, and will only get better. Especially if he realizes that taunting the other team when you are still down 2pts, isn't being a "team player".

I'm with you. Besides laughing out loud while reading your post, I agree with you all the way.

Now, onto the real deserving recipients of the "gameball".

I think that the offensive line is truly deserving. To go the entire game with only 1 offside penalty (no holding, no lineman downfield , etc...) is a feat in itself. To protect Grossman the way they did AND open up enough holes to get Jones his 2 TDs and 130 yds and Benson 1 TD and around 60 yards (i think i am close with those stats) is completely deserving of said "gameball".

I also think we need to consider Lovie Smith for the game ball. to be the first black head coach in the NFL is such an accomplishment. He guided his team through such scrutiny and made them believe in themselves enough to get to the superbowl. That truly is an amazing feat.

No matter what the outcome is during XLI, I am proud to be a Bears fan! DA BEARS!
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby joe bass » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:28 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:I also think we need to consider Lovie Smith for the game ball. to be the first black head coach in the NFL is such an accomplishment. He guided his team through such scrutiny and made them believe in themselves enough to get to the superbowl. That truly is an amazing feat.

No matter what the outcome is during XLI, I am proud to be a Bears fan! DA BEARS!

Ya know, I've thought Lovie has been one hell of a coach, but I'm thinking he may actually be some kinda genius.

When he put Benson in for 3 consecutive series, I got the sense that he was doing it to make Thomas Jones mad/hungry/pissed. I don't think he did that all year long, at least not when the game was close. Looked like it worked too. He had that amazing scoring drive on his first series after that. And talk about a selfless player (take note here Reggie Bush), towards the end of that drive, he'd gotten them inside the 15 or 10 yd line, and he motions to the sidelines for them to bring in Benson. The guy knew the tank was getting low, and would rather give the TD to Benson that stall the drive. Fortunately there was a time out or some delay that allowed Jones to catch his breath and he scored on the next play.

Combine that w/ the decision to not completely shut down the passing game, and allowing Grossman to keep airing it out (untill we were up huge), showed his team that Rex is still the man. If they are going bring their best game in the Superbowl, continuing to show faith in Rex is a big part of that, and the team knows Lovie has not wavered.
joe bass
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:44 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:

Absolutely. All season, the media was trying SO hard to find good plays so that they could glorify him. It was so common on sportscenter to have the Saints highlights come one, they show one good run he had. Forget about Colston or Deuce or anyone else that played the ENTIRE game well, lets see a highlight of Bush's one positive play.

NOW, in no way am I denying his potential. He's going to evolve into one heck of a player, but let's not induct him into the hall just yet.

There are several rookies that have been much more impressive in their NFL debut season.

Half of the country probably still thinks Bush had a better season than Addai or MJD.
Warhawk
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 am

I don't want to defend Bush because he acted like a tool but it's not like it was 39-7 at the time and he scored to make it 39-14. His score made it 16-14 and, if not for some idiotic playcalling and execution, NO could have taken control of the game. Seems odd but they had a legitimate chance to take the lead but they called terrible plays, missed the FG, and Chicago retook control of the game.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting