Give Out Your Gameball - Conference Championship Sunday - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Give Out Your Gameball - Conference Championship Sunday

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:12 am

FBBVirgin wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
FBBVirgin wrote:Yeah, how about we give Reggie Bush the game ball after he made a great play and then turned that great play into a way to showboat and show his arrogant side.

Other than that one play, he didn't do anything all game. Why on earth would you give him the game ball?

Just goes to show his popularity with the public. :-/

Absolutely. All season, the media was trying SO hard to find good plays so that they could glorify him. It was so common on sportscenter to have the Saints highlights come one, they show one good run he had. Forget about Colston or Deuce or anyone else that played the ENTIRE game well, lets see a highlight of Bush's one positive play.

NOW, in no way am I denying his potential. He's going to evolve into one heck of a player, but let's not induct him into the hall just yet.

There are several rookies that have been much more impressive in their NFL debut season.

I know what you mean. They kept showing the 15 yard end around he had against the Steelers. What they don't mention is that the Saints lost that game. ;-)

I didn't get to watch a significant amount of either game, so I won't say anything that could make me considered stupid, although it may be too late for that. :-B
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FBBVirgin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I don't want to defend Bush because he acted like a tool but it's not like it was 39-7 at the time and he scored to make it 39-14. His score made it 16-14 and, if not for some idiotic playcalling and execution, NO could have taken control of the game. Seems odd but they had a legitimate chance to take the lead but they called terrible plays, missed the FG, and Chicago retook control of the game.

I get your point, but your paragraph here makes it sound like you're saying the Saints lost the game, not the Bears won it. Poor play calling and execution? So the Bears had nothing to do with that?

I am sure you didn't mean that, but that's the way it sounded.
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:17 pm

FBBVirgin wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I don't want to defend Bush because he acted like a tool but it's not like it was 39-7 at the time and he scored to make it 39-14. His score made it 16-14 and, if not for some idiotic playcalling and execution, NO could have taken control of the game. Seems odd but they had a legitimate chance to take the lead but they called terrible plays, missed the FG, and Chicago retook control of the game.

I get your point, but your paragraph here makes it sound like you're saying the Saints lost the game, not the Bears won it. Poor play calling and execution? So the Bears had nothing to do with that?

I am sure you didn't mean that, but that's the way it sounded.

I know. I thought about not adding the last part but I did. Let me differentiate. I explained the Bush thing. It was a lot different making the game 16-14 than it would have been had he scored that TD at 39-7.

As for the game, I think that everyone would agree that it was not a mismatch like the score would indicate. The Bears were dominating early and obviously took the 1st half. Once the 2nd half started, the Saints took control. They had the momentum of Bush's score and then got the ball back with a chance to take the lead. The Bears were obviously reeling and, if the Saints had gotten points at 16-14 to take the lead, I really believe that this would have been a completely different game. I completely question Peyton's playcalling on the drive where Cundiff was short on the FG. Points there to take the lead would have been key for them. I also question the sequence when the Bears got the safety but, once that happened, the game was over.

I am not saying that the Bears didn't win but the Saints lost. The Bears won and they deserved to win. The Bears had 1 negative play and the Saints had double digits. That won't cut it, especially on the road. The Bears won and deserved to. I was merely saying that, had the Saints done more with their opportunities in the 3rd quarter, we would have been looking at a different outcome. Not necessarily in who won the game but definitely in the score.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joe bass » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:As for the game, I think that everyone would agree that it was not a mismatch like the score would indicate.

I would not agree w/ that statement.

The end of the first half and beginning of the second half were the only NO scores. That's out of 15 drives. The other 13 drives only got NO into Bear territory (2) other times - one was a missed FG, the other a punt.

The other 11 drives that ended in NO territory went as follows (not in this order)

- 1 safety
- 1 interception
- 2 ball turned over on downs
- 3 fumbles
- 4 punts

By the end of the game, not only was the Chi Defense in control of the game, but the NO defense was so softened up for the run by being on the field for 10 more minutes that the Bear's rout was complete.

So, I think the score did indicate what a mismatch this was. Particularly how the NO Offense was not a good match for the Bear Defense.
joe bass
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Bob Sanders - AFC
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:24 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Bob Sanders - AFC

I agree; he and Dallas Clark coming back from injury completely changed this Colts team.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:32 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Bob Sanders - AFC

I agree as well, I think quite possibly the single biggest play defensively was the ball that he tipped away on 3rd down when the Pats were up 34-31. The catch would easily have gone for a first down and kept the drive alive but Sanders flew in and made a diving play and on the ensuing drive, Indy scored the TD that won the game. Good call on Sanders.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:37 pm

joe bass wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:As for the game, I think that everyone would agree that it was not a mismatch like the score would indicate.

The end of the first half and beginning of the second half were the only NO scores. That's out of 15 drives. The other 13 drives only got NO into Bear territory (2) other times - one was a missed FG, the other a punt.

The other 11 drives that ended in NO territory went as follows (not in this order)

- 1 safety
- 1 interception
- 3 fumbles
- 4 punts

By the end of the game, not only was the Chi Defense in control of the game, but the NO defense was so softened up for the run by being on the field for 10 more minutes that the Bear's rout was complete.

So, I think the score did indicate what a mismatch this was. Particularly how the NO Offense was not a good match for the Bear Defense.

I'm not disagreeing that Chicago took over the game. I just don't see how you can say that a game that was 18-14 at the end of the 3rd quarter wasn't closer than the final score indicated.

We will never know for sure but I am sure that if NO put points on the board to take the lead at, say, 17-16 or 21-16, Chicago might have had a little panic in them. They would have blown a 16-0 lead. As it stands, they took over the game in the 4th quarter and won handily. I will never agree that this was a true 39-14 game, though. It was much closer than that, at least to me.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
joe bass wrote:

- 1 safety
- 1 interception
- 3 fumbles
- 4 punts

I'm not disagreeing that Chicago took over the game. I just don't see how you can say that a game that was 18-14 at the end of the 3rd quarter wasn't closer than the final score indicated.

We will never know for sure but I am sure that if NO put points on the board to take the lead at, say, 17-16 or 21-16, Chicago might have had a little panic in them. They would have blown a 16-0 lead. As it stands, they took over the game in the 4th quarter and won handily. I will never agree that this was a true 39-14 game, though. It was much closer than that, at least to me.

I think the only thing that makes this game "closer" than the score indicated is the fact that it was indeed close in score for much of the game. The fact is though, that Chicago really outplayed New Orleans in every part of the game both offensively and defensively and in that sense the score pretty much indicated exactly that.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FBBVirgin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:47 pm

I agree with what all of you are saying. I think Chicago clearly was the better team, and it was their defense that flustered NO.

I also agree that there were some key plays during the game (safety, missed FG, etc...) that would be considered the turning points of the game. That happens in every game. Those key plays were the result of Chicago's play. The missed field goal was partly due to the Bears stopping them were they were. The safety was a result of the field position and the pressure from the D.

I think Lofunzo was misinterpreted.

Either way, Bears in the big dance, baby!!!

And Reggie Bush has an entire offseason to learn how to conduct himself like a professional.

Speaking of that, is anyone interested to see what happens the next time Urlacher goes up against Reggie? He might want to take a sick day for that game.
FBBVirgin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting