Rooting for Chicago now - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Rooting for Chicago now

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm

quitesanemax wrote:
Manning and Harrison are two of the best examples in the league of how to conduct yourself on and off the field, so it wouldn't be as tough a pill to swallow.

Go Bears!!!!

It seems to be a familiar theme. I love the way everytime Manning loses in the playoffs he throws another one (or many) of his teammates under the bus. thats exactly the best example of how to conduct yourself on and off the field when it comes to a sport like football, which is so much about the team. The rest of the Colts better hope they win the Superbowl, or they could be the next ones to be thrown under the bus.

It may be that I'm sick of hearing people talk about how Brady is classless... etc... at least he didn't throw his teammates under the bus. He took the blame squarely in his postgame interview.

Peyton sure as heck is classy... as long as he is winning, but he is just as much a sore loser as the rest of them. Being a sore loser doesn't bother me. Show me someone who isn't a sore loser, and I'll show you someone who is just used to losing. But in a team sport, you shouldn't be throwing your teammates under the bus.

Spoken like a true Patriot fan.

Exactly what teammate has Manning thrown under the bus EVER? There are only two instances you could possibly be referencing. Either his "idiot kicker" quote, which was not blaming Vanderjagt for losing the game, but for getting drunk and running his mouth. Not to mention one of the funniest quotes of all time. Or his "we had problems with pass protection" in the postgame press conference. Well, duh. Anyone who watched the game saw that OLine get absolutely rolled over. He didn't blame any one person and, considering he calls the protection himself, placed as much blame on himself as anyone else by speaking in general terms. Name me another time he has thrown a teammate under the bus.

Who has ever called Brady classless? He is the one guy on the team you couldn't say that about even if you wanted to.

And your comment about sore losers is ludicrous. Not that it surprises me. Luckily not everyone acts like a jerk every time he loses like Belichick.

I'm not a Peyton "fan" per se, but I do get sick of the haters. The guy is flat out the best QB in the league, and people who disagree are just in denial. And Dungy is a unique and classy professional. Anyone who heard the interview about "how are you going to get guys to play well if you don't yell and scream at them" - awesome interview. The man understands people and psychology and sees that if you give adults responsibility, most of them are going to respond with just as much effort as any other coaching style.

Lovie is also a great guy - I don't really care, honestly, but I think I'll be rooting for the Colts just because they've been through so much as a group to get here. The Bears should be perennial contenders now as well, so I think they'll both have opportunities to be back in the big game over the next 3-4 years.

As far as the original poster saying he's sick of the NFC being worse than the AFC...well, they are. Use any measuring stick you want and it will clearly show that. You can be sick of it if you want, but you can't deny it. But that doesn't mean the Bears can't win. After all, "Defense wins championships!"
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Green and Gold » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:01 am

I think they cranked up the thermostat in the Indy Dome the other day to wear down the Pats big boys.
Manning did squat the 1st half against a fresh Pats D in his face.
The Bears have a better up front and blitz crew, with a weeks rest and Super Bowl Juices Flowing, look for that pressure all game to rattle Manning.
+++ you have to think Grossman gained some confidence the 2nd half vs. the Saints, look what happend, we know the Bears can run the ball and score on D, with some play from Grossman. I cant believe they would give the Bears +7 in this game.
Bears are gonna kill Manning, easy win
soccer is dull as dishwater and just because it stops camel traffic in Saudi Arabia doesn't mean we have to fall in line
Green and Gold
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 am

Green and Gold wrote:I think they cranked up the thermostat in the Indy Dome the other day to wear down the Pats big boys.
Manning did squat the 1st half against a fresh Pats D in his face.
The Bears have a better up front and blitz crew, with a weeks rest and Super Bowl Juices Flowing, look for that pressure all game to rattle Manning.
+++ you have to think Grossman gained some confidence the 2nd half vs. the Saints, look what happend, we know the Bears can run the ball and score on D, with some play from Grossman. I cant believe they would give the Bears +7 in this game.
Bears are gonna kill Manning, easy win

There is no way that this is an "easy win" for either team. Sorry, but Indy has a MUCH better pass defense than New Orleans, and they have been stopping the run significantly better as well. This is probably the best defense the Bears have seen in the playoffs so far and it's also the best offense they've seen. The Bears weakness is in their secondary and even having a bad game Drew Brees threw for some pretty big numbers. What do you think a superior QB like Manning will do?

So you are going to discount Grossman's pitiful first half against the Saints defense but say that Peyton "did squat" against NE in the first half? Grossman's performance in that first half was just awful, his team was winning despite him in that half and the only way they moved the ball in that first half is by running it. That was their only TD drive in the first half, a drive where Grossman turned and handed it off the entire drive. Neither QB had a great first half but Manning had the much better 2nd half of the two. You can make excuses however you please for WHY Manning had a good 2nd half but he tore apart that NE defense in that half....much more than can be said for Grossman.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Green and Gold » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:18 am

Chicago wins a close one , far above the over line of 48
34-31 Bears BABY!!!!!!!!!
all things considered, real time

Mod edit-highly unnecessary comment
Last edited by Green and Gold on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
soccer is dull as dishwater and just because it stops camel traffic in Saudi Arabia doesn't mean we have to fall in line
Green and Gold
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 am

Green and Gold wrote:Bears are gonna kill Manning, easy win

Green and Gold wrote:Chicago wins a close one

:-?
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:47 am

quitesanemax wrote:
Manning and Harrison are two of the best examples in the league of how to conduct yourself on and off the field, so it wouldn't be as tough a pill to swallow.

Go Bears!!!!

It seems to be a familiar theme. I love the way everytime Manning loses in the playoffs he throws another one (or many) of his teammates under the bus. thats exactly the best example of how to conduct yourself on and off the field when it comes to a sport like football, which is so much about the team. The rest of the Colts better hope they win the Superbowl, or they could be the next ones to be thrown under the bus.

It may be that I'm sick of hearing people talk about how Brady is classless... etc... at least he didn't throw his teammates under the bus. He took the blame squarely in his postgame interview.

Peyton sure as heck is classy... as long as he is winning, but he is just as much a sore loser as the rest of them. Being a sore loser doesn't bother me. Show me someone who isn't a sore loser, and I'll show you someone who is just used to losing. But in a team sport, you shouldn't be throwing your teammates under the bus.

Really? You want to provide any quotes or evidence that in any way supports your statements, or just rant without proof? Here, I'll start with an extended interview with Manning about the Pittsburgh loss last year:

http://colts.scout.com/2/489320.html

For example, when asked about Vandy's terrible kick attempt at the end, Peyton says "One play is not the reason the Colts didn’t win this game." Yeah, that's really harsh words for a guy who nearly hit the sidelines not the field goal marker. Way to throw your teammate who has in the past publicly insulted you under the bus.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:45 am

NittanyLions wrote::-b Oh Seahawks, when will you get over it and stop making yourselves look like 5 year old sore losers? Seriously.

Anyway, I HATE the Pats so my distaste for the Colts has weakened.
I really don't care who wins, I'd like to see the AFC win, but I think it'd be amusing to see Peyton lose. I know, it's mean }:-)

i agree... you need to get over it... the nfl has been nudging games in the direction they want for at least 20 years (not fixing games... just slight nudging... THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY!!!)... it's now so common knowledge that it's part of the game... every team has to deal with it. It's a tough break for Seattle fans but most teams have had that "shoulda won it" scenario at some point but the refs or nfl made the game edge towards the other guy...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:07 am

maddog60 wrote:
Really? You want to provide any quotes or evidence that in any way supports your statements, or just rant without proof?

Lol. Sorry, maddog, I don't do quotes. I'm lucky if I can remember what I ate yesterday morning, and I'm going to quote someone from years ago?? Just not going to happen. Oh yeah, I guess I could try and do a search on the web. For instance, I could search for "Steelers beat Colts" to try and find the quote where Peyton throws his offensive line under the bus from last year. I tried that one. Got a bunch of stuff about this past Sunday. Not one thing about the Steelers win last year... how quickly they forget. lol.

I do have a memory, even if I can't give you the exact quotes. I remember that Peyton threw his defense under the bus in either 03 or 04, and, last year, when he could no longer blame a defense that was actually doing pretty decently, he threw his offensive line under the bus instead. He has a knack for being unable to take the blame for anything... which, even if it isn't always - or usually - his fault. a good leader needs to be able to take the blame.

Its easy enough to be classy when the going is good. If the Colts lose to the Bears in the Superbowl, I'm sure we will see it again.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joe bass » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:33 am

quitesanemax wrote:
maddog60 wrote:
Really? You want to provide any quotes or evidence that in any way supports your statements, or just rant without proof?

Lol. Sorry, maddog, I don't do quotes.

Being a Bears fan, I don't watch as many AFC games as NFC, so I'm sure I don't watch the Colts or Patriots as much as you, so I refrained from challenging your assersion that:

quitesanemax wrote:I love the way everytime Manning loses in the playoffs he throws another one (or many) of his teammates under the bus.

Before this year, the guy has pretty much done nothing BUT lose in the playoffs, so if he was truly always throwing his team under the bus, I would think it wouldn't take much to find a single quote.

Because I can appreciate the way Manning and Harrison approach the game, doesn't mean I believe Brady is classless. I've not heard that claim ever made in this thread, or any serious thread. So, don't misconstue appreciation for another teams players as a slight to your favorite ones.
joe bass
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:12 am

joe bass wrote:Before this year, the guy has pretty much done nothing BUT lose in the playoffs, so if he was truly always throwing his team under the bus, I would think it wouldn't take much to find a single quote.

Good point, joe. The only two examples I can come up with are the two I did (although I couldn't give you the exact quotes)... and maybe he gets his reputation from those two times. So everytime is definately an exaggeration, and probably unfair on Peyton Manning. He obviously is doing something right this year.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you were saying Brady was classless. And, in fact, I haven't heard much about that here at the cafe. Thats more from a Patriots board I go to often. A lot of the scum has come out to rub this loss in our faces.

Good luck to your team!

Also, Maddog, write what I said off to someone who just hasn't gotten over his team's loss yet. I know Manning has said things in the past, but I don't have time to look for the quotes, and what does it matter now. This is Peyton's time to shine... and this is not one of Brady's better moments. I need to just deal with that...
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting