Arguments for #4 Pick - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arguments for #4 Pick

Moderator: Football Moderators

Arguments for #4 Pick

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:12 am

Last year, the consensus seemed to be Larry Johnson, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Shaun Alexander. No particular order, but clearly the top tier.

Enter 2007 planning, and there once again seems to be a top tier consisting of three backs: LaDainian Tomlinson, Larry Johnson, and now Steven Jackson.

While there is some determining factors that need to be addressed with free agency, trades, and drafts...but this high up in the rankings there shouldn't be too much to affect it drastically that we can at least forsee now.

So, all that said: Who do you take #4 and why?

Assume a pretty standard scoring system.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eman » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:44 am

For me, SA. I'm 99.9% sure he's gonna bounce back and at the very least be a top 5 RB next year, especially after his performance against Chicago in the Hawks loss.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 am

I'm gonna go with FWP. He's had two productive years as a starter, and assuming the Steelers improve the offensive line, which I'm almost positive they will, he can go nowhere but up. His consistency will improve once the offensive line is improved.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am

I like SA. I'm just not too sure on how Tomlin will conduct the role of the Steelers, I'm sure it'll still be a run first, but I'm kind of meh on it. Then it goes Gore for me. But I think that SA being hampered by the injury all year was the only thing that hindered his production. He's a good back as you saw in the playoffs.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby RenT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

For me it's a three horse race between Parker, Gore and Westbrook at this point. My early lead goes to Willie. He had a few poor showings, but he also had some huge games. In his second year as a full-time starter I like his chances to improve on consistency. Also Santonio Holmes started to emerge at the end of the year so the passing game should open it up a little more for Willie. 1700 combined yards and 16 combined TDs is pretty darn nice and I can see him duplicating that if not improving a little bit next season.

So Willie at 4 ;-D (for now hehe)
RenT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:34 am

I'd have to say Gore or SA. Alexander was hurt by the loss of Hutch, but he'll bounce back next year and be in the top RB mix again.

There will be a glut of good backs next year, though. From LT2 all the way down to FWP, with Gore, SJax, LJ and SA in the mix you have a legitimate shot at getting a great RB well into the second half of the first round.

2007 like no other year will be crucial to build up a solid WR corps, since most everyone in your league is going to have good RB. Do your homework on those wideouts, guys!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Yellowbird » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 am

Unless the player has supreme talent I try to shy away from using my first or second round pick on a guy with a new coaching staff. You just never know how the offense will pan out or who will fall out of the new coaches favor.

Gore or SA.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The_Dude » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am

I think these are your four candidates: Gore, Alexander, Parker or Westbrook.

Apart from Parker, the other three have durability concerns. The biggest upside is Westbrook. In ppr, its a no brainer, but even in non-ppr 10/6 leagues, I think I'd go with Westbrook.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 pm

Yellowbird wrote:Unless the player has supreme talent I try to shy away from using my first or second round pick on a guy with a new coaching staff. You just never know how the offense will pan out or who will fall out of the new coaches favor.

Gore or SA.

So you think that Parker has a chance of falling out of favor with the new coaching staff after accumulating 1700 total yards and 16 TDs? This is not your normal coaching staff change that happens when a team is in huge trouble and the coach was fired....this team is ready to win now with the guys they have, I think this should be an exception to that "new coaching staff rule" of yours.

This is going to be awfully close next year on who goes where, it'll be hard to fault someone with going for any of the 4 (SA, FWP, Gore, Westy) but personally I think I would go Parker.

Believe me or don't I don't really care, but this isn't influenced by my liking the Steelers. I like that he doesn't have an injury history of any consequence, after 2 years of starting he has been very healthy, and he has limited wear on him. SA is getting up there in age and while he showed flashes of what his potential, I just don't know that I trust him to carry that through an entire season again. Gore has plenty of upside but his injury history still does scare me a bit and his tendancy to fumble and the few TDs he got this past year don't help me either. I've never been a huge fan of Westbrook, he stayed healthier than I thought he would this year but still missed some time which doesn't instill confidence that he'll ever be able to play a full season without missing time. I think that personally Parker has the fewest amount of question marks surrounding him with a solid offensive group returning around him and a defense that will always keep them in games.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:05 pm

I shied away from mentioning any names to taint the responses any...but one name hasn't surfaced yet is Rudi. Ridiculously consistent with a lot of yards and double digit tds. Should he be under consideration?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk